• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RX Vega 64 Owners Thread

Associate
I'll give your suggestion a try later on.. Just installed the latest 19.3.1 drivers and while performance is great so is the darn power draw!!! even undervolted im hitting 500 watt at the wall vs 400-450 before. Same wattman settings and all

Yeah I noticed my card was running a little hotter than usual lately and then realized GPU power draw was higher than before. Also explained the higher clocks I was seeing.

Associate
I'll give your suggestion a try later on.. Just installed the latest 19.3.1 drivers and while performance is great so is the darn power draw!!! even undervolted im hitting 500 watt at the wall vs 400-450 before. Same wattman settings and all
Try the power saver bios - on the 19.3.1 drivers my fans were still spinning @ 1130rpm
I'll have a look at power draw tomorrow - maybe that was up a bit.
Got a shiny new card to play with.

Associate
Just been playing a few games and in both ive got what looks like red orbs flashing randomly in the game? Any ideas?
Memory.
I got artificing like that and turned down my HBM from 1100 to 1080 and it's rock solid like that.
You'l probably get it up to 1080 - if anything I got better in game FPS like that than at 1100.

I have mine at 1000mv

Associate
Reduced to 1080/1000 and on Fortnite and Forza 4 and it solved it. But on Sea Of Thieves it was still there but not as bad. Could only get rid of it on that game by reducing to 1000/1000. That will lose me fps wont it?

Why would mine not be stable at 1080/1000 as read lots of people can get 1100/1000 no problem.

Associate
hey guys hows everyones vega 64 doing? I recently returned my VII, never opened or used just was an impulse buy & I managed to find a new vega 64 aftermarket brand new with games for 350 so ive gone with that hoping ive done the right choice for 3440x1440 100hz free sync

Associate
Reduced to 1080/1000 and on Fortnite and Forza 4 and it solved it. But on Sea Of Thieves it was still there but not as bad. Could only get rid of it on that game by reducing to 1000/1000. That will lose me fps wont it?

Why would mine not be stable at 1080/1000 as read lots of people can get 1100/1000 no problem.
Could be a driver issue with sea of thieves - especially if it's running ok on other things
I was running P7 @1672mhz/1050mv on powersave bios, mem @1080mhz/1000mv, powerslider +50% - gave a clock of 1610mhz, good fps and fan speed of 1130rpm

Associate
hey guys hows everyones vega 64 doing? I recently returned my VII, never opened or used just was an impulse buy & I managed to find a new vega 64 aftermarket brand new with games for 350 so ive gone with that hoping ive done the right choice for 3440x1440 100hz free sync
My nitro+ is fine for 4k gaming for me. Not so much for fast twitch gamers who want very high fps.
You should get 60 or so fps, with the eye candy turned up, I'd say - apart from on poor console ports which will run poorly on most cards.
Undervolt and push the power slider to +50%

Associate
Hello everyone. Proud new owner of the Nitro+ Vega 64 and couldn't be happier. Couple of things, I've been browsing through the forums and haven't come accross this specifically:

I've been trying to undervolt this beast, following a number of guides. Starting with p6/1000mV and p7/1100mV and +50% power as recommended. Running FurMark GPU stress test, after a few minutes, my HBM starts hitting just over 90C which whilst it doesn't crash the system, seems a little on the hot side for me personally so I chicken out and cancel the test.

Investigating the automatic fan curve profile, I discover that stock max fan setting is 45% to be achieved by 75C which seems a little low? However, when I give it a good once-over (100% at 85C or thereabouts), I discover that the fans hit a whopping 3145rpm and my rig sounds like its going to explode and again I chicken out, feebly reset WattMan and click the Auto Undervolt GPU button in shame.. So my question is, am I missing something, is it normal to have a card setting that puts the fans up that speed or is the whole point of the Nitro that the fans are good and also quite?

I've tried the undervolted settings in game quickly (just Apex at 1440p Max settings) and temperatures are all under control nicely though I realise its not the most demanding title and I'm kind of at an impasse on what to do next.

Also for what its worth, I saw many people worry like me before purchasing if a 650W power supply is sufficient and I can confirm I've had absolutely no issues so far (other than slight coil whine) using my rm650x.

Soldato
Hello everyone. Proud new owner of the Nitro+ Vega 64 and couldn't be happier. Couple of things, I've been browsing through the forums and haven't come accross this specifically:

I've been trying to undervolt this beast, following a number of guides. Starting with p6/1000mV and p7/1100mV and +50% power as recommended. Running FurMark GPU stress test, after a few minutes, my HBM starts hitting just over 90C which whilst it doesn't crash the system, seems a little on the hot side for me personally so I chicken out and cancel the test.

Investigating the automatic fan curve profile, I discover that stock max fan setting is 45% to be achieved by 75C which seems a little low? However, when I give it a good once-over (100% at 85C or thereabouts), I discover that the fans hit a whopping 3145rpm and my rig sounds like its going to explode and again I chicken out, feebly reset WattMan and click the Auto Undervolt GPU button in shame.. So my question is, am I missing something, is it normal to have a card setting that puts the fans up that speed or is the whole point of the Nitro that the fans are good and also quite?

I've tried the undervolted settings in game quickly (just Apex at 1440p Max settings) and temperatures are all under control nicely though I realise its not the most demanding title and I'm kind of at an impasse on what to do next.

Also for what its worth, I saw many people worry like me before purchasing if a 650W power supply is sufficient and I can confirm I've had absolutely no issues so far (other than slight coil whine) using my rm650x.
Don't be scared, nothing will break on these beasts that you can do I have had 3 vegas, 2 in crossfire., 1 died but that was me bios modding and changing the registry for it and leaving it mining for days on end.
You need to decide if you want to overclock it and have it running loud Or undervolt it and have it quiet. There are many people that can help with either of those, including me Just hit me up

Associate
Thanks that is good reassurance, I'll keep experimenting! Still not sure why the fan curve tops out at 45%, is it safe for it to run potentially continuously at high rpm? And what are safe limits for the HBM and gpu - I assume safeguards are built in even when playing about in WattMan?

Soldato

So my question is, am I missing something, is it normal to have a card setting that puts the fans up that speed or is the whole point of the Nitro that the fans are good and also quite?

First off, I'd never use FurMark. These types of software are just a bad idea, and have caused more issues for people than they helped. If you want to test, test in games or in specialized benchmarks, Unigine ones or 3dmark.

For HBM temperature, that is high but if it stays in the low 90s that should still be fine. I'd attribute that to card variance more than anything. But is that 90 C in FurMark or games? For example, I just ran Superposition 8K optimized & 2 runs of AC: Odyssey benchmark (4K max), and my MAX temps were: 68/74/88 (GPU / HBM / Hotspot) with max fan speed of 1513 RPM. Radeon settings: P6 1537/1025 P7 1642/1075 HBM 1050/1000mv +50% Power Limit Default Fan curve.

As for fan speed, yes, the Nitro emphasises quiet over absolute thermal performance. You can of course change it to your liking if you want some extra cooling.

Apex is actually quite a stressing title on the GPU I've found, so if you're all good in the game, then don't worry about it. Never worry about what happens in things like FurMark etc.

Soldato
Thanks that is good reassurance, I'll keep experimenting! Still not sure why the fan curve tops out at 45%, is it safe for it to run potentially continuously at high rpm? And what are safe limits for the HBM and gpu - I assume safeguards are built in even when playing about in WattMan?
If you overclock too far, it will crash and reset itself, if you have the fans at 100% for days that will be fine although you may get tinnitus lol.
I always used to put hbm at 1050mhz at 1000mv.,put the core mv to 1100 and 1050 on the p states, pull the fan up to be able to do 100% if needed post limit +50% and off I'd go.
If you need any thing just message me, I have the highest firestrike ultra score on 3dmark for a vega 64 (or did have better check that)
And yeah don't use furmark, use superposition or 3dmark or an ingame benchmark.

Edit* 4th place in the world now 3rd for graphics score, still not so shabby

Associate
But is that 90 C in FurMark or games? For example, I just ran Superposition 8K optimized & 2 runs of AC: Odyssey benchmark (4K max), and my MAX temps were: 68/74/88 (GPU / HBM / Hotspot) with max fan speed of 1513 RPM. Radeon settings: P6 1537/1025 P7 1642/1075 HBM 1050/1000mv +50% Power Limit Default Fan curve.

That was in FurMark so good advice I'll get hold of some better benchmarks. In game perf is obviously most important but the whole point of an undervolt was to shave some wattage and it seems a benchmark is the easiest way to test for that consistently.

I always used to put hbm at 1050mhz at 1000mv.,put the core mv to 1100 and 1050 on the p states, pull the fan up to be able to do 100% if needed post limit +50% and off I'd go.
If you need any thing just message me, I have the highest firestrike ultra score on 3dmark for a vega 64 (or did have better check that)

Thank you that's a very kind offer. I'll play about with the states you both suggested and see where I'm at.

Silly question maybe but if the voltage in p6 is lower than in p5 or p4, I should lower all the previous voltages to match? (So if I hit stable at 1000 for p6, then all the previous states which are higher than 1000 can be reduced to 1000?)

Many thanks for all the tips really appreciated!

Soldato
That was in FurMark so good advice I'll get hold of some better benchmarks. In game perf is obviously most important but the whole point of an undervolt was to shave some wattage and it seems a benchmark is the easiest way to test for that consistently.

Thank you that's a very kind offer. I'll play about with the states you both suggested and see where I'm at.

Silly question maybe but if the voltage in p6 is lower than in p5 or p4, I should lower all the previous voltages to match? (So if I hit stable at 1000 for p6, then all the previous states which are higher than 1000 can be reduced to 1000?)

Many thanks for all the tips really appreciated!
Yes, you should lower the others to 20mv between them or so, OR turn them off and just use p6 state by using the min and max settings above the p states

Back
Top Bottom