• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4790k in 2019

Associate
Hi guys, I have a £500 budget and I'm looking to future proof my system. My current specs are:

i3 4330
Asus Z97 Motherboard
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
GTX 960
1TB SSD

I'm wondering whether a 4790k & either a 1660Ti or RTX 2060 would be a sensible choice? What are peoples thoughts of 'upgrading' to a 4 year old CPU?

Man of Honour
It's still a very good cpu and I wish I had stuck with mine and waited for the new AMD Ryzen in the Summer. The problem for you is that you are limited to the likes of Ebay and are likely to be looking at somewhere around £200 for a used 4790k (I sold mine for £190 on Ebay in November and it sold within 4 hours of listing). With your i3 worth only £20-30 that is a expensive upgrade for a old platform and I feel the money would be better spent going towards a AMD Ryzen 2600, B450 motherboard and 8/16Gb of DDR4 3000mhz or faster. Even going with a lesser Ryzen cpu with the aim of swapping it out for one of the new ones in the Summer may be a good move. You should get a good price for your memory and Z97 motherboard on Ebay so will be able to claw some of the cost back.

Associate
My OC'd 4770k still performs well paired with a 1080ti

Option 1

if you have £500, sell your existing parts individually add money from sales to £500 and hey presto you would have a Ryzen 2 system.

Keep the SSD / Case / PSU.

Option 2.

Buy a used 4790k and keep saving in the meantime. I think you would be good for 2-3 years with a 4790k overclocked but your GPU will hold you back before the CPU.

Soldato
I would sell the RAM, MB and CPU and put that towards something upto date before the value drops even more.

That's what I did last October from a haswell setup to Ryzen. No regrets here :)

Caporegime
what you should do is wait just before new drop of the new amd cpus. flog your mobo cpu and ram on ebay for decent money as they fetch good money still. most people in general will be behind a few weeks before it all filters through price wise. i personally see no point in any i7s unless they under £100 now at all because a new amd 6 core with similar performance can be had new for same price. also 2700s are doing rebates and with the division 2 for around 200 so sell division 2 for 25 instantly £175. come summer time and when people start flogging off older i5s older ryzens the second hand market is going to be great for fast gear for peanuts. :p

Man of Honour
I am coming across plenty of games that are really starting to push my 4770K.

I've not really had any problems personally - The Division 2 (beta) was a bit of a head scratcher for me as some people on 4000 series i7s complain about poor performance but on my 4820K it runs flawlessly (maybe notice it a bit more if I had a 2080ti or something maybe - but no slowdowns at all with my 1070).

Back
Top Bottom