• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Had to return my Gigabyte Windforce 2060 card due to noise, what should I replace it with?

Associate
Ok so this has been driving me crazy, i got my Windforce 20602 weeks ago and the fans stay at 0rpm below 50c, that means in my case the card sits around 48c idle so every little graphical intensive thing i do, be it youtube or.....seemingly ANYTHING it spins up causing a horrific noise, i have a silent pc and its not acceptable.

So i returned it for a refund. Now i bought it prior to the 1660ti, im wondering if maybe i should go that route now and save £100,i run at 1440p and to be honest i dont play that many intensive games, Monster Hunter World being the biggest one, most are CRPG's like Divinity or games like XCOM. Maybe the £100 saving would be worth it?

OR is there a better option do you guys think? Also if i was to get another 2060 what brand do you recomend, apparently Gigabytes windforce for the RTX range are all flawed with this horrible noise so thats not an option. I want silence more than anything.

Soldato
No I would not recommend get GTX 1660 Ti for £50 saving when RTX 2060 have 1 free game of choice.

You would had not bought that crappy Gigabyte Windforce card sound like dishwasher if you read Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ti-windforce-sounds-like-dishwasher.18832673/

I recommend MSI, their cooler are amazing quiet, lower temp and silence. Been bought MSI GTX 970 Gaming, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and now current MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio owner. :)

I recommend you to get MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z card, it has higher boost clock 1830MHz compared to Gigabyte RTX 2060 Winforce Dishwasher card's 1770MHz.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £389.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Soldato
Only you can really answer the question of how much performance you need. Perhaps give some consideration to Vega 56 too if you're dropping down into that price range. The Sapphire Pulse model is £279 with three free games and according to reviews is pretty quiet. Even moreso if you get into undervolting I'm sure.

Associate
OP
No I would not recommend get GTX 1660 Ti for £50 saving when RTX 2060 have 1 free game of choice.

You would had not bought that crappy Gigabyte Windforce card sound like dishwasher if you read Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti Windforce sounds like dishwasher thread.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ti-windforce-sounds-like-dishwasher.18832673/

I recommend MSI, their cooler are amazing quiet, lower temp and silence. Been bought MSI GTX 970 Gaming, MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X and now current MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio owner. :)

I recommend you to get MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z card, it has higher boost clock 1830MHz compared to Gigabyte RTX 2060 Winforce Dishwasher card's 1770MHz.

Total: £389.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Thanks. When i heard the noise and googled RTX windforce fan noise i seen a bunch of threads and videos, sucks because gigabyte has always been my go to manufacturer because of their fast and fair RMA process. My last card was an MSI, GTX780 and it never skipped a beat, silent at idle but noisy at load but thats fine, its the iddle i want to be quiet. I will have a little look but MSI was my next idea. I dont like that the cards nowadays turn the fans off at idle, i would prefer a low RPM to keep the cards cool than off, low RPM is silent anyway!

Associate
OP
Total: £279.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)
I dont know why but im wary of the Vega card, im a sucker for quiet/low temperatures and i always hear about how warm those cards run, not sure about noise though. I also dont really want to be messing around with undervolting and such. Nvidia seems more like a plug and play crd? does that make sense?

Associate
The Sapphire Vega 56 pulse should be quiet, once undervolted.
My V64 nitro+ keeps a clock speed of over 1600mhz, fast FPS with the fans spinning at a whispery 1130rpm
At £279 the V56 pulse is going to be faster than the 1660ti
I'd use the power saver bios on that, undervolt it and push the power slider to plus 50% - that should be close to V64 performance (some cards might do better)
I reckon that should be at least as fast as a 2060, and probably quieter, and definitely cheaper.

I'm amazed how quiet the fans on my 64 nitro+ run - even with the side panel off on my fractal R5

Unless you have a gsync display the 56 pulse is a much better buy than the 1660ti

The Sapphire vegas are a lot quieter and cooler than reviews would have you think, and a lot faster than the original blower card reviews.

Associate
I dont know why but im wary of the Vega card, im a sucker for quiet/low temperatures and i always hear about how warm those cards run, not sure about noise though. I also dont really want to be messing around with undervolting and such. Nvidia seems more like a plug and play crd? does that make sense?
You want to spend the extra tenner on the Sapphire pulse - different class.
The undervolting is done in the Radeon driver software - just copy someone else's settings, back it off a little - should take 10 mins - 30 secs if you know what you're doing.

Associate
OP
You want to spend the extra tenner on the Sapphire pulse - different class.
The undervolting is done in the Radeon driver software - just copy someone else's settings, back it off a little - should take 10 mins - 30 secs if you know what you're doing.
And do you think the Vega 56 is worth it over the 1660ti or 2060? I mean i have heard good things but also it seems like it only gets to peak performance after tweaking and undervolting etc. If i wasnt to tweak the card would it still be cool/quiet?

Soldato
And do you think the Vega 56 is worth it over the 1660ti or 2060? I mean i have heard good things but also it seems like it only gets to peak performance after tweaking and undervolting etc. If i wasnt to tweak the card would it still be cool/quiet?

It's still a very fast card out of the box. It's just you cxan unlock even more performance with a few clicks. You don't need to do this but it does benefit you to do it. Card uses less power and gets more performance.

Soldato
Thanks. When i heard the noise and googled RTX windforce fan noise i seen a bunch of threads and videos, sucks because gigabyte has always been my go to manufacturer because of their fast and fair RMA process. My last card was an MSI, GTX780 and it never skipped a beat, silent at idle but noisy at load but thats fine, its the iddle i want to be quiet. I will have a little look but MSI was my next idea. I dont like that the cards nowadays turn the fans off at idle, i would prefer a low RPM to keep the cards cool than off, low RPM is silent anyway!

0db fan at idle, low RPM and silence are the reasons I went to MSI. I used MSI Afterburner user fan control to controlled fan speed, when played games on both MSI GTX 970 Gaming and MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X, the fan speed went up to 60% to 70%, I remembered saw fan RPM was around 1500 RPM, both cards was silence which was damn very impressive when I am about 4 feet away from the card. When turned my ear to 5cm from card all I can heard is dual fans spinning made very quiet humming sounds far quieter than my 4TB Samsung blue SSHD which made loud humming noise like my fridge. But MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio is really incredible card, when at idle the temp is 40-45C, 5-10C cooler than GTX 1070 and at full load in games the triple fans only spinning at 30% and RPM speed is 1000 RPM which is very low RPM than both GTX 970 and GTX 1070, I cant heard the triple fans sounds at 5cm away, absolutely silence. :)

Also absolutely loved my new Corsair H100i Platinum cooler, the dual fans are silence at full load around 1300 RPM in games and turned it off at zero RPM mode at idle, pump temp is 29C very far lower than maximum 70C. Ran really very cooler and quieter than my old Corsair H80iGT which the single radiator get very hot when pump temp went up to maximum 45C at full load in games. It really incredible I can touch H100i cold radiator at full load in games. :)

Don't worry about MSI's 0db fan idle mode, you can use MSI Afterburner to turn fan to auto and the fans will spin all the time at low RPM to keep card cool when you launch app and also you can undervolt and OC Nvidia cards with MSI Afterburner in the same way as Vega cards.

Last edited:
Soldato

That MSI Vega 56 Air Boost blower card fan is really loud while glass is on, not silence at full load. Will be really very loud when glass side is off.

Horrible card.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, i wouldnt go near a blower type card, I had a GTX280 blower card and it was a nightmare, i dont see why manufacturers can make a quiet blower because the concept is fantastic, too loud for me though. Im really thinking about the Sapphire Vega 56 now, is there anything I would be giving up going from Nvidia to AMD? Im a bit ignorent when it comes to the new graphics cards.

Associate
Thanks for all the replies, i wouldnt go near a blower type card, I had a GTX280 blower card and it was a nightmare, i dont see why manufacturers can make a quiet blower because the concept is fantastic, too loud for me though. Im really thinking about the Sapphire Vega 56 now, is there anything I would be giving up going from Nvidia to AMD? Im a bit ignorent when it comes to the new graphics cards.
RTX, but the RTX 2060 cannot actually use RTX without massive frame drops, so no.

Soldato
AMD have done a lot of work to bring themselves at least up to parity with Nvidia for features over the past couple of years. Things like ShadowPlay that used to be big wins for Nvidia now have an AMD equivalent (ReLive). You could even argue that AMD's software package is outright better at this point, with things like WattMan that require third party tools with Nvidia. Of course, there's the RTX features to consider, but the 2060 isn't even up to the task of running the ray tracing implementations we've seen so far at 1080p/60, let alone higher. DLSS could be argued as a useful thing to have, but personally I'd still favour turning down settings before ever using that. The results just aren't good so far.

For what it's worth, I sold my 1080 Ti on the MM just a few days ago and am back with AMD via the RX 580 I had sitting around, and I haven't found myself missing anything. Well, apart from the obvious performance gap there. :p

Associate
OP
AMD have done a lot of work to bring themselves at least up to parity with Nvidia for features over the past couple of years. Things like ShadowPlay that used to be big wins for Nvidia now have an AMD equivalent (ReLive). You could even argue that AMD's software package is outright better at this point, with things like WattMan that require third party tools with Nvidia. Of course, there's the RTX features to consider, but the 2060 isn't even up to the task of running the ray tracing implementations we've seen so far at 1080p/60, let alone higher. DLSS could be argued as a useful thing to have, but personally I'd still favour turning down settings before ever using that. The results just aren't good so far.

For what it's worth, I sold my 1080 Ti on the MM just a few days ago and am back with AMD via the RX 580 I had sitting around, and I haven't found myself missing anything. Well, apart from the obvious performance gap there. :p
I wonder, so i have had nvidia cards for ever now, last AMD/ATI card i had was the 9700pro! So AMD cards have no drawbacks compared to Nvidia? I always hear about Cuda Cores, now i know that's Nvidia tech, does AMD have a similar tech? I'm really just a bit clueless. Is there anything an Nvidia card can do that an AMD card cant? Is that a silly question? Im just a bit wary of swapping to AMD and im not sure why......

I know the 2060 RTX features are useless but it seemed like a great performer, i would never use the RTX features anyway, i barely play any big games.

Soldato
Remember the little one-fan Zotac GTX 1060 that was usually the cheapest at OcUK? That thing is whisper-quiet even at 60% RPM. Wouldn't surprise me if their GTX 1660Ti/RTX 2060 versions were the same. EVGA has some interesting models (not sure which category of card) with one fan as well and a triple-slot cooler.

And yes, MSI cards tend to be very good re: fans and noise.

Soldato
I wonder, so i have had nvidia cards for ever now, last AMD/ATI card i had was the 9700pro! So AMD cards have no drawbacks compared to Nvidia? I always hear about Cuda Cores, now i know that's Nvidia tech, does AMD have a similar tech? I'm really just a bit clueless. Is there anything an Nvidia card can do that an AMD card cant? Is that a silly question? Im just a bit wary of swapping to AMD and im not sure why......

I know the 2060 RTX features are useless but it seemed like a great performer, i would never use the RTX features anyway, i barely play any big games.
"CUDA cores" is just Nvidia's name for their GPU cores. AMD calls them "stream processors" instead, but they're essentially the same thing. CUDA acceleration as a concept relates to productivity software, and is Nvidia's version of GPGPU. AMD cards are also capable of doing GPGPU work via OpenCL, which is an open standard for the same thing. Neither has any relevance to gaming though - it's purely about running what would traditionally be CPU workloads on a GPU instead.

A lot of people seem to feel the same as you about switching to AMD. They have a lot of baggage and negative mindshare from the old days when their drivers were a mess. All I can say is that I find their current software extremely slick and at least equivalent to Nvidia's offering. They've come a long way since Catalyst Control Center.

Back
Top Bottom