Audi owners in here!

Associate
It's all relative. Personally I'm fine with it but I accept it doesn't have masses of "feel". Only way you'll know is to test drive one.

One thing I will say is the "firmer" steering offered up by certain Drive Select modes is a waste of time as it's totally artificial.

Will hopefully be test driving one in the near future, just hope I don't find it utterly boring! :p I'd imagine I'll like it still just off putting the amount of people I've heard that dislike it, only way to see is by trying it I suppose! Thanks :)

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Will hopefully be test driving one in the near future, just hope I don't find it utterly boring! :p I'd imagine I'll like it still just off putting the amount of people I've heard that dislike it, only way to see is by trying it I suppose! Thanks :)
I had an 8P 4-5 years ago, and honestly the most fun I had in it was blatting down the autobahn at 250km/h and burning through 52l of fuel in 200 miles.
I haven't driven an 8V S3, but I can't imagine it will be massively different to the previous S3 in the 'feel' category.

These are fast, competent cars but fun isn't a word used to describe them.
I've also driven a GT86 flat out across Germany and back in 24 hours, and that was not a pleasant experience. Granted, it was the first gen with the awful bouncy suspension, but even so. B-road blasting & track work? GT86 every time. Autobahn storming? That'll be the S3.

Soldato
Anybody had any issues with their A5/S5 tramlining?

I've felt the steering has been a bit off since I bought the car and decided to do some Googling before getting it checked out. Tramlining seems to fit the bill and so I'm curious to see if anybody has faced the same issue and potential solutions.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Anybody had any issues with their A5/S5 tramlining?

I've felt the steering has been a bit off since I bought the car and decided to do some Googling before getting it checked out. Tramlining seems to fit the bill and so I'm curious to see if anybody has faced the same issue and potential solutions.
What dimension and brand wheels/tyres you got on there?

Soldato
What dimension and brand wheels/tyres you got on there?

They are 19" and three of the four tyres are 'Accelera' from what I can remember. The front passenger side tyre is a different brand.

Accelera appear to be a budget tyre but I have read tramlining can be even worse with performance tyres, although I'm not sure how true this is.

To add some more colour to my post:
  • When I bought the car the tracking was completely out - had it realigned and the steering seemed relatively ok compared to how it was
  • The alignment place said the steering may still not feel 100% due to uneven wear across the tyres but over time this should correct itself as the wear evens out (still a decent amount of tread on all 4 tyres though)
  • When accelerating/braking hard the steering will pull, this is mainly to the left
  • Some roads are worse than others in terms of how often I have to correct the steering, in fact, there is one road that when going downwards the car will always aggressively try to turn left whilst approaching the traffic lights
I guess I am trying to figure out what the most likely cause is so that I can start with that before ending up having to change all 4 tyres, have another realignment and potentially have the suspension looked over.

I'm thinking of starting with getting the non-matching tyre replaced with an Accelera tyre. If Accelera are no good, I could opt for replacing all 4 tyres if it is the most likely cause...

Soldato
I had an 8P 4-5 years ago, and honestly the most fun I had in it was blatting down the autobahn at 250km/h and burning through 52l of fuel in 200 miles.
I haven't driven an 8V S3, but I can't imagine it will be massively different to the previous S3 in the 'feel' category.

I've had three 8Ps and three 8Vs.

The 8V does handle and "feel" a fair bit better than the 8P did but it's not what I'd call a "driver's car". The S3 is an exceedingly rapid and comfortable way of getting around but, if handling and feel are of high importance then maybe look at something else. The perennial comparison is between the S3 and the Golf R, to which my response is always that the Golf R handles better but the S3 is a nicer place to be. The BMW M2 is also an option but that's more an RS3 competitor I think.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They are 19" and three of the four tyres are 'Accelera' from what I can remember. The front passenger side tyre is a different brand.

Accelera appear to be a budget tyre but I have read tramlining can be even worse with performance tyres, although I'm not sure how true this is.

To add some more colour to my post:
  • When I bought the car the tracking was completely out - had it realigned and the steering seemed relatively ok compared to how it was
  • The alignment place said the steering may still not feel 100% due to uneven wear across the tyres but over time this should correct itself as the wear evens out (still a decent amount of tread on all 4 tyres though)
  • When accelerating/braking hard the steering will pull, this is mainly to the left
  • Some roads are worse than others in terms of how often I have to correct the steering, in fact, there is one road that when going downwards the car will always aggressively try to turn left whilst approaching the traffic lights
I guess I am trying to figure out what the most likely cause is so that I can start with that before ending up having to change all 4 tyres, have another realignment and potentially have the suspension looked over.

I'm thinking of starting with getting the non-matching tyre replaced with an Accelera tyre. If Accelera are no good, I could opt for replacing all 4 tyres if it is the most likely cause...
You need to get 4 brand new, matching, proper tyres and go from there. Unevenly worn, mismatched ditchfinders on different tread levels is just outrageous and should be illegal, quite frankly.

I've had three 8Ps and three 8Vs.

The 8V does handle and "feel" a fair bit better than the 8P did but it's not what I'd call a "driver's car". The S3 is an exceedingly rapid and comfortable way of getting around but, if handling and feel are of high importance then maybe look at something else. The perennial comparison is between the S3 and the Golf R, to which my response is always that the Golf R handles better but the S3 is a nicer place to be. The BMW M2 is also an option but that's more an RS3 competitor I think.
6 S3s! Blimey..

Soldato
You need to get 4 brand new, matching, proper tyres and go from there. Unevenly worn, mismatched ditchfinders on different tread levels is just outrageous and should be illegal, quite frankly.

In terms of what new tyres would be better in order to reduce the chance of tramlining/ditchfinding, do you think non-performance tyres are better? I have read that performance tyres can be worse for tramlining. Ultimately, I am not bothered about how much I need to spend on the tyres but I just want to ensure I maximise my chances of getting shot of this issue.

Associate
Anyone with an B9 A4/S4 experienced horrendous rattling within the cabin? Mine's in at Audi Cardiff today to try and sort it as well as sorting the rattling from the B&O sub and centre speaker - its particularly bad on the passenger side front door of the car.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Anyone with an B9 A4/S4 experienced horrendous rattling within the cabin? Mine's in at Audi Cardiff today to try and sort it as well as sorting the rattling from the B&O sub and centre speaker - its particularly bad on the passenger side front door of the car.

Nope mine doesn’t have that issue.

Soldato
Yes mate that’s me :)

So, they’ve sorted the sub rattle and the centre speaker. Passenger side door still horrendous and they’re blaming a dodgy speaker so are ordering a replacement.
Yes sorry different user names so didn't realise. Nice the dealership is getting things done for you, unlike other owners. Sometimes I do wonder if some them go in with all guns blazing and alienate the dealers...

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Picked up the RS3 (2016) on Friday swapping my Golf R, haven't seem to had the time to write much about it.

It’s nice, not huge amount nicer than Golf in real world, arguably not worth the extra and certainly not as good value.

Engine sounds amazing, doesn’t feel as responsive as the Golf though, handles a lot better and feels noticeably flatter and planted/squat in comparison.

Step father took it out last night, he has a 2018 S3, for a back to back comparison, again said yes it’s quicker but doesn’t feel amazingly so, also said steering felt lighter in the RS. But overall he loved it and thought it was just that bit more special.

Looks nice, interior is nice but can’t quite put my finger on what’s niggling me about it. Infotainment system is ok but preferred the Golf system, felt simpler and more basic which I prefer. B&O stereo sounds very good.

I like it, definitely feels like it has character and more of an occasion to drive, where as after the initial honeymoon period the Golf just felt like a Golf with a bloody quick engine, didn’t have much soul to it.

The wife not liking it so much and misses the Golf, will see how I get on with it as to how long it stays (the car not the wife).

Need to have some proper drives in it rather than just the mundane stuff I’ve only had the chance to do so far.

Short version, it’s nice, not necessarily good value (but then who buys these to get value? ;) )

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
It’s an itch that needed scratching ;)

I’ll happily say I don’t think they are necessarily worth the extra, but it’s what you have to pay to have one, and I wanted one for a bit at least. And I’m probably being overly harsh on the thing as not had much time in it yet.

Was a good enough price, pretty much every option ticked, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it whilst I have it ;)

Got to go down to Plymouth Friday so it may be on bricks by the end of the day ;)

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
The updated RS3 is better yes and would be my preference too, it’s also another 10k or so over the pre face lift model, which I really didn’t feel was worth it ;)

Modding the Golf would’ve made it quicker, but it’s not just about the out and out power/speed here, it’s the whole experience. Plus as, mad as it might sound with these cars, I’m not really into modding stuff. Who knows though that may change...

Wife took it to work today as I’m sorting the tyres out on her car, sounded so good starting up :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom