Itunes library backup question

Associate
I’m currently making a backup of my iTunes media folder to an external drive, does anyone know if I will have to backup the entire library again from scratch to the eternal drive every time I add a new purchase to my iTunes library or can I just copy and paste the new purchase to the iTunes media folder on the external drive? could this cause some issue with the iTunes database file on my external drive if I was to do this? My library is getting larger all the time (currently 4TB) so having to back the entire thing up each time would be a bit inconvenient.

Commissario
If this is for backup purposes then it won’t work as the iTunes database on the backup won’t be aware of the additional files you’ve added.

You could use SuperDuper! to smart copy the folder so it’ll only make copies of files that have changed. You can set a schedule so it runs [say] once per day to ensure the backup copy is the same as your main library folder.

Associate
OP
If this is for backup purposes then it won’t work as the iTunes database on the backup won’t be aware of the additional files you’ve added.

You could use SuperDuper! to smart copy the folder so it’ll only make copies of files that have changed. You can set a schedule so it runs [say] once per day to ensure the backup copy is the same as your main library folder.
Thanks for the advice, what if I was to replace the database file on the external backup with a copy of the one in my main library every time I copy and pasted something new over?

Back
Top Bottom