BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Just to confirm, 74 Mbps on normal fibre not G.Fast.

I think the point was that your stated 20 meter distance didn’t correspond to your stated sync, simply put: If you aren’t achieving maximum sync at your stated distance, something is clearly wrong, either with your line or the numbers you have stated.

Soldato
My business is currently on FTTC 80/20 and our Cabinet now has the G.Fast module on the side and is accepting orders.

The front of our building to the cab is approximately 53 meters and these are the details:

hIMa7x1.jpg

Looking at upgrading to Zen Business Fibre 4 and their checker says
Typical Download Speed 330Mbps
Maximum Download Speed 330Mbps
Minimum Download Speed:232.8Mbps

Pretty hopeful of getting at least 300 down and close to the 50 up.

Right now we have a Draytek Vigor 2760 but will see what G.Fast modem is provided and then looking at a Unifi Gateway to go with our Unifi APs and Cloud Key.

Associate
What a disappointment...
OR engineer came over yesterday to connect g.fast for me but the estimated 190-312 Mbps turned out to be 60 down and 6 up..
Their checker is completely unreliable when it comes to g.fast it seems...

Last edited:
Soldato
What a dissdisappoint...
OR engineer came over yesterday to connect g.fast for me but the estimated 190-312 Mbps turned out to be 60 down and 6 up..
Their checker is completely unreliable when it comes to g.fast it seems...

As presumably that falls well below the hand back for a fault, when’s the faults tech coming out?

Soldato
I’m the last person to sing the praises of BT (scroll up, ordered Black Friday, still not got the service I ordered and went months without a phone line and received two deadlock letters before BT admitted my proposed solution was what they should have done), but the one thing that has been near bullet proof through all of this is g.fast. The worst I can say about it is the MT992 lacks stats and my sync was slightly lower than I hoped for - an issue that i’ve proved is down to a builder who thought it was OK to put copper cable in a concrete floor and slap 6” of ducting on the far end rather than do it properly. Due to the BT cluster.... I currently have a 160/30 profile with max sync, when BT eventually resolve my issue, it should go up to 240/40 till the internal work is done, that will put me towards the middle of my estimated range.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Does anyone know what the fault threshold is on the upstream bandwidth for FTTC (vDSL)?

As mines gone from 20Mb to 13Mb over the space of 3 months and I am constantly being told "Tests have not indicated any issues with the line" and it looses 100Kb or so more less daily/weekly at the moment on the upload. The download has been solid at 80Mb which seems to make zero sense.

I had the same issue in October where it dropped from 20Mb to 11Mb and BT came out then reset a few things and its seems to be doing the same thing now but more slowly.

Soldato
Does anyone know what the fault threshold is on the upstream bandwidth for FTTC (vDSL)?

As mines gone from 20Mb to 13Mb over the space of 3 months and I am constantly being told "Tests have not indicated any issues with the line" and it looses 100Kb or so more less daily/weekly at the moment on the upload. The download has been solid at 80Mb which seems to make zero sense.

I had the same issue in October where it dropped from 20Mb to 11Mb and BT came out then reset a few things and its seems to be doing the same thing now but more slowly.

What does the wholesale checker say your handback should be? Compare that to your actual sync speed.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
What does the wholesale checker say your handback should be? Compare that to your actual sync speed.

Its suggesting 20Mb/19Mb~ but handback its only listed for downstream and I am currently syncing at 13.752 Mbps. So you can see the drop from when it was last tested.

I know BT have installed a G.Fast cabinet but as my line is 360M from the cabinet, its too far away but ironically since they have been messing with that my upstream has suffered.

7a12B1y.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi guys,

Just helping a mate with his new FTTC install. His new (to him) property has a "BT Openreach MK3" faceplate (example pic below) and is getting drop outs unless using the test socket. There are no other extensions or cables coming off it.

I'm getting the line stats from him to see what they show soon but I wonder if its worth changing the faceplate anyway? If so which one?

https://www.exbtengineers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/vDSL-Faceplate-BT-Infinity.jpg

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just helping a mate with his new FTTC install. His new (to him) property has a "BT Openreach MK3" faceplate (example pic below) and is getting drop outs unless using the test socket. There are no other extensions or cables coming off it.

I'm getting the line stats from him to see what they show soon but I wonder if its worth changing the faceplate anyway? If so which one?

https://www.exbtengineers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/vDSL-Faceplate-BT-Infinity.jpg

If it works to the test socket but not via the faceplate and everything else is equal, then you’ve answered your own question. As to faceplates an NTE5C would be where I put my money for the sake of argument, but if the line has just gone live in a new to him property, then get the ISP to do it free of charge - it’s what he pays them for.

Associate
I've just migrated my connection from BT Infinity to Zen (go-live was this morning)

Previously i was getting a solid 78Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up..
I'm now getting 57Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up

EOXEC82.jpg

I'm not using the ISP router (just changed the PPoE details on my Unifi USG), Is it usual for the the line to re-train when you migrate connections? Or do I need to speak to Zen?

Back
Top Bottom