What internal messaging system do you use for your business?

Soldato
Thought I would get more replies here.

As per title. Needs to be secure. Allow for general and personal inboxes with audit trails.

Our GP practice has used Encompass for years. Fast and easy. Unfortunately, they are ending the product as GP practises are opting to make do with the messaging services in built to emis or system one (the clinical systems for appointments).

These systems just do not match what encompass does. So I thought I'd explore what else is out there.

TIA

Associate
Currently migrating everyone from Skype for Business to Teams .. A few of our developers are using Slack but won't be able to much longer

If you've using the Office 365 suite, Teams would appear to be a no brainer

Soldato
OP
Just demo'd slack. Seems you can only create rooms like discord. Rather than messages that have their own threads with titles.

I'll have a look at teams.

Associate
personally we use the stuff built into EMIS, but it is utter junk, and only really fit to send messages along lines of "I've just made a pot of coffee". I don't think enough of my team would use other stuff really so I haven't suggested slack which I have used for other projects. what's wrong with cloud based? As long as its a UK based server it is likely to meet the IG requirements. What things do your team actually use it for?

Soldato
OP
personally we use the stuff built into EMIS, but it is utter junk, and only really fit to send messages along lines of "I've just made a pot of coffee". I don't think enough of my team would use other stuff really so I haven't suggested slack which I have used for other projects. what's wrong with cloud based? As long as its a UK based server it is likely to meet the IG requirements. What things do your team actually use it for?

We have duty doctor pool. Few other specific pools for visits. Allocated to the appropriate doctor on the day. Full audit trails even if message viewed. Fully integrated with emis. Can copy messages to emis with a click. All have personal pools as well. Shame it's going.

Soldato
My business used slack to start with, used it for about 2 years until it started getting annoying (notifications not always showing etc.) and as the rest of the business is pretty much run from O365 the integration with teams (and the big update that made it so much better) made that the better option which we have no switched to. Loving it.

Soldato
For e mail we use outlook and for messaging we use Skype. The phone system we use also has a chat function so people use either really.

Soldato
We use Slack. It works well for us as all our field engineers can contact anyone, have private channels for on-going projects and also public ones full of info.

We've been with Slack since before Teams even came about as far as I'm aware. We're starting to really utilise SharePoint so may be a move in that direction, not sure I'm keen on migrating all of our technophobes though.

I like that contractors can use Slack, is this possible with Teams?

Associate
Not sure if any of the off the shelf GP intranet options have something, as I know a good few CCGs fund some of them like GPteamnet etc. I vaguely looked into making an intranet with share point a while back, but had other things become more pressing.

Skype for business

This.

NHS here (like the OP) and Skype's great now that it is part of the MS Office suite. Not just for WhatsApp-style instant messaging, but it can also replace your phone if you have a headset/mike. A geographic phone number can be macro'd onto Skype which allows us to hot-desk. Snowed in? Got a cold but you don't want to spread germs and not ill enough to call in sick? No problem. We're allowed to work from home every now and then with our laptops and we can Skype each other and carry on using our telephone numbers except it's on Skype.

For secure email, we use NHS.net.

Back
Top Bottom