Upgrading to windows 10

Associate
Hello All,

I need to upgrade my current SSD due to needing much more storage and I am thinking while I go through the pain of that I might as well move over to windows 10, as windows 7 stops support early next year. To confirm I currently use windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I think I may have missed a trick in terms of getting a free official upgrade, such is life.

I will be going for a 64 bit version for sure but not sure about going for the pro version. I honestly don't know if I need it or not. My main usage is music production and casual gaming.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts or advice on if I should upgrade to windows 10, what version is probably likely to be suitable and what has been your experience in general of windows 10?

I would greatly appreciate any time you can spare or help you can offer.

Associate
I've enjoyed Win10, the only problem with it is the automatic updates which have once or twice over the last few years screwed up some things (the most notable was removing my Ethernet drivers as not being "win10 compatible") but generally its been a good experience.

A good summary of Win10 vs Win10 Pro is included below. I would imagine Win 10 Home will be suitable for your needs.

Remember to check for a CD key on various websites rather than buying the full RRP version.

Associate
OP
I've enjoyed Win10, the only problem with it is the automatic updates which have once or twice over the last few years screwed up some things (the most notable was removing my Ethernet drivers as not being "win10 compatible") but generally its been a good experience.

A good summary of Win10 vs Win10 Pro is included below. I would imagine Win 10 Home will be suitable for your needs.

Remember to check for a CD key on various websites rather than buying the full RRP version.

Thanks for your reply and for the summary.

I have spent a bit of time researching etc, like you say most people seem to complain regarding certain updates, I suppose if you do restore points prior then its not much of a problem.

Look and feel wise it seems a windows 7 shell can be downloaded although I don't how that would work.

I have tried a win 10 laptop and hated it instantly, felt too much like a tablet or something.

I thing that I read was the home version forces updates and the pro is optional. Again I don't know if this is true? I know I would hate not being able to choose updates.

Regarding using external sites to obtain a key, heard a few horror stories online, for instance the key not working and with no refund available etc.

I have even heard that a genuine windows 7 key will work also?

I know they offered a free upgrade at one point but that appears to be done.

Associate
Thanks for your reply and for the summary.

I have spent a bit of time researching etc, like you say most people seem to complain regarding certain updates, I suppose if you do restore points prior then its not much of a problem.

Look and feel wise it seems a windows 7 shell can be downloaded although I don't how that would work.

I have tried a win 10 laptop and hated it instantly, felt too much like a tablet or something.

I thing that I read was the home version forces updates and the pro is optional. Again I don't know if this is true? I know I would hate not being able to choose updates.

Regarding using external sites to obtain a key, heard a few horror stories online, for instance the key not working and with no refund available etc.

I have even heard that a genuine windows 7 key will work also?

I know they offered a free upgrade at one point but that appears to be done.

Just make sure who you buy your key from is a trusted site (as far as possible). I wouldn't risk it getting a win7 key.

I can't even remember what version I have but the updates certainly aren't optional.

I think the free upgrade ended quite a while back.

Associate
OP
Just make sure who you buy your key from is a trusted site (as far as possible). I wouldn't risk it getting a win7 key.

I can't even remember what version I have but the updates certainly aren't optional.

I think the free upgrade ended quite a while back.

Ok thanks again, I will look into that one a bit more but I think the pro version allows you to choose updates.

Soldato
Weeks ago I worked on my sister old PC which ran Windows 7 Home Premium to recovered users files, videos and photos etc. I downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool to created iso and installed it upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home and checked it was activated automatically with digital license.

You can still free upgrade from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to Windows 10 or clean install Windows 10 and activated it with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 keys.

Associate
OP
Weeks ago I worked on my sister old PC which ran Windows 7 Home Premium to recovered users files, videos and photos etc. I downloaded Windows 10 media creation tool to created iso and installed it upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Home and checked it was activated automatically with digital license.

You can still free upgrade from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to Windows 10 or clean install Windows 10 and activated it with Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 keys.

Thanks for confirming this. I had heard this one.

Back
Top Bottom