Photography/gaming system

Associate
Hi there, Im new to overclockers forums, so hi all :) I hope you can help with some advise.

Im looking at building a new photography/gaming pc. I use Capture One & Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop, no video work at the moment but that might change in the future. I have already got kb & mouse, I have 2 27" Dell monitors both 1440p one is a gsync 144hz monitor, the other has wider colour gamut.

I was originally set on an Amd Ryzen 2700x system with option to upgrade later in the year when the new cpus come out, however doing a bit of research it seems the intel stuff runs that bit better with Adobe, so now I'm unsure which cpu's to go for. I've put a system together here, please tell me what your thoughts are. I specced a i9 9900k but would definitely look at cheaper alternatives, I'm not looking at overclocking as its something ive never done, plus it seems the i9 cpu runs very hot under load. I haven't added a gpu yet as I was looking at either an rtx 2080/2080Ti FE for 1440p. Thanks for your help.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,872.15 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Soldato
if you dont intend to do pro-quality video for a while, i7 9700k and rtx 2080ti

Total: £2,562.17 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

removed extra fans as case already has 3x 140mm and smaller cooler as 9700k not as hot and wont block of the RGB ram !

i9 9900k version, dropped to rtx 2080

ODE
Total: £2,340.13 (includes shipping: £15.30)​

Associate
OP
Great thank you for the options! didnt think to look at the i7! Not having hyper threading make any difference? One question about the ram, i know it hasnt been out long, will it be ok with the Gigabyte board as I couldnt find it on their supported memory lists. The dark rock cooler looks a great choice as well, Ive never tried a aio water cooler, are they better than the air coolers?

Soldato
Great thank you for the options! didnt think to look at the i7! Not having hyper threading make any difference? One question about the ram, i know it hasnt been out long, will it be ok with the Gigabyte board as I couldnt find it on their supported memory lists. The dark rock cooler looks a great choice as well, Ive never tried a aio water cooler, are they better than the air coolers?

It adds a good 15% boost on certain apps like video editing .
But for games and photowork (including batches) , it's all about speed !

Ram on intel boards are fine ! It's ryzen that you get issues . If you were slapping in 4000hz then it's worth researching more

AIO can be great if they are cheap ones, that unit is copper on copper :)
In theory they can handle more heat and lower dB

Soldato
i7 it is then, ill have a look more into aio coolers, thanks.

corair ram is high, we all pretty much rate bequiet Dark rock 4 for i7 on here .

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cryo...-heatsink-with-140mm-fan-white-hs-004-cy.html

would also work due to heatsink being pushed back a little and slimmer front ran. means fan sits just next to 2 dimm slot and not on top of it

corsair new crystal case is a bit of a beast, fans alone of £90 in a set of 3 haha

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...-atx-case-black-tempered-glass-ca-24l-cs.html

Associate
OP
Nice looking case! Wonder if that glass panel is removable in front of the fans? I prefer the look if the Lian Li O11 Dynamic, that looks similar, but fans are on the side, looks like its designed for water cooling.

Im going for the vengeance ram as its a bit cheaper atm! Have been reading up more on AMD and really impressed they make all their cpu's backward and forward compatible, i'm now thinking of going Ryzen 2700x route and upgrade later or earlier next year to the new cpus and screw it that they don't work quite as good as intel in lightroom/photoshop. I'm using a i5 2500k at the moment, so i'm hoping the Ryzen would be a little quicker till the new stuff appears. Plus saving a few hundred ££ as well.

Soldato
Ryzen good. Marking terms is a little pushed. 2 gens on AM4 socket , Zen and Zen 2 .

Ryzen 1*** 14nm is Zen and ryzen 2*** is die shrink on 12nm but still to 14nm design .

Ryzen 3*** is 7nm and designed for 7nm and Ryzen 4*** is 7nm++ .

Hoping zen 2 is a good increase is IPC and IMC , but AM4 was dead on design due to ddr5. Intel LGA 1151 most likely the same . Board vendors don't like it to much when Chipset/sockets are compatible with newer CPUs as it costs business .

Currently, intel hammers amd at Adobe bar Prem Pro - zen 2 needs to have IPC and clock speed to match and beat it , fingers cross.

And you'll be looking at flagship x470 board. Designs are out for x570 ... Manufacturing started not to long ago . I wouldn't buy any board will intent to upgrade if it wasn't of high quality .

Dynamic I'd a lovely case ! No fans though, filters are naff, (replaced all mine ) and not a silent case without good fans :)
Love it though

Associate
OP
Thanks orbitalwalsh for all your help, much appreciated. I ordered the i7 instead, after reading the Puget Systems articles on Adobe, but If the new AMd cpus released later this year are good, then I will definitely look at moving over to them. :)

Soldato
Thanks orbitalwalsh for all your help, much appreciated. I ordered the i7 instead, after reading the Puget Systems articles on Adobe, but If the new AMd cpus released later this year are good, then I will definitely look at moving over to them. :)

No worries. I think ryzen and DDR5 will be a killer combo in the future :D
Thought ryzen 4000 excites me more then 3000

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom