• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who still has an i7-3930K??

Soldato
One benchmark (and the 160 seems optimistic from reading the op of that thread with the updates) does not a good indication make.... I used the SC averages from another site, core for core it’s 20% ish, in specific benchmarks the numbers can vary significantly, but the overall average was the basis of my comparison.
My 3930k at 4.6ghz scored 157 so I agree with your comparison; ~20% isn't really what I would call a significant performance increase.

Associate
I'm still rocking my 3930k though I'll be upgrading this year to a ryzen system as my mainboard is showing signs of failing but I'll try to hang on for as long as I can hoping that zen 2 is released but already bought an x470 board and will be getting memory next month. Did look at just getting a new x79 board but prices were stupid so over to AMD I go while researching I read a lot of negative stuff about both Intel and Nvidia over the last few years not hardware so much as their business practices so an AMD system even has a bit of feel good factor to it lol.

Associate
I keep looking at upgrading, but my i7-3820 build from 2012 is still working well at 4.4Ghz, admittedly with water cooling and SSD upgrades along the way.
Trouble is, to upgrade would be a shed load of money for roughly double the performance in most situations.
Would I even notice that?
Multi core performance with maybe an i9-9900k would be a lot better, but that wouldn't be often.

Soldato
I keep looking at upgrading, but my i7-3820 build from 2012 is still working well at 4.4Ghz, admittedly with water cooling and SSD upgrades along the way.
Trouble is, to upgrade would be a shed load of money for roughly double the performance in most situations.
Would I even notice that?
Multi core performance with maybe an i9-9900k would be a lot better, but that wouldn't be often.
Even a relatively cheap upgrade to a 6 core X79 would give you a nice boost depending on your CPU load. ;)

Associate
Well my board totally went so ordered my last part yesterday hopefully rebuild this weekend (crappy shoulders allowing growing old sucks lol) to be honest I'll be sorry to see the old 3930 go it's been a great cpu and served me well but given the shenanigans Intel has been getting up to i couldn't support them so for the first time in nearly 18 years I'll have an AMD system.

Soldato
Well my board totally went so ordered my last part yesterday hopefully rebuild this weekend (crappy shoulders allowing growing old sucks lol) to be honest I'll be sorry to see the old 3930 go it's been a great cpu and served me well but given the shenanigans Intel has been getting up to i couldn't support them so for the first time in nearly 18 years I'll have an AMD system.

My next upgrade is a Zen 2 setup. INTEL can do one, even though my 3930k is a cracking cpu and still going well.

Soldato
I'm still rocking my 3930k at stock speeds, although as mentioned above there's plenty of scope to OC. I have the Rampage IV Extreme which has proven to be solid at 5.0Ghz but I've just run it at stock forever.
I did recently swap out to a Vega 56 which has given a nice little boost to games.

Associate
I still use what's essentially a 3930K in my main system (an E5 1650 specifically) and it works fine for everything I do, i run the same motherboard as yourself too and it's super solid, on my old 3960X (R.I.P) i was able to squeeze 4.9GHz out of her and with the 1650 I can get 4.5 with about 1.32v (not really pushed further, my benching days are over for now but 4.5 is plenty for all I do) the 3930K/1650 is still a very capable chip in all honesty, I love mine and honestly I see no reason to upgrade even under reasonably heavy video editing, CAD drawing and games

Soldato
Same platform but 3820. At slightly above 4.8.

Done me proud this chip.

But I'm highly likely to buy ryzen 3000 once then benchmarks and initial real world stories come out.

Man of Honour
3930k non overclocked with 48gb RAM here and it is still running fine for everything. I don't game much now but my son uses Fortnite a lot and it's fine paired with a Vega 64.

Associate
3930K @ 4.2Ghz and 16gb samsung green @2133mhz here. I noticed a large FPS improvement going from stock to my current overclock with assassins creed odyssey (atleast 20% improvement), that's with a Vega 64 gaming at 3440 x 1440. Just started playing No Man's Sky and that maxes out one CPU core and basically doesn't touch the others, needless to say my framerate is dire (30s-40s on planets), GPU is falling asleep :/

Soldato
3930K @ 4.2Ghz and 16gb samsung green @2133mhz here. I noticed a large FPS improvement going from stock to my current overclock with assassins creed odyssey (atleast 20% improvement), that's with a Vega 64 gaming at 3440 x 1440. Just started playing No Man's Sky and that maxes out one CPU core and basically doesn't touch the others, needless to say my framerate is dire (30s-40s on planets), GPU is falling asleep :/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/1/360672137536377971/?l=czech

That may help.

Associate
Associate
This has been a slightly disappointing read through! I've been running a 3770K (with 16gb 1600mhz) for donkeys years, and was thinking of getting an x79 board and 3930K as a cost-effective way to speed up my photo editing a bit, thinking the two extra cores and higher memory bandwidth would make life less frustrating. Now it's sounding like maybe I wouldn't experience a mind-blowing improvement? My second thought was to go x99 and go for either a 5820K or 5930K, and try some of this new fangled DDR4 the kids keep banging on about, but could this be another 'wont really feel the benefit' scenario?
I'd be interested to see how (or if...?) you decided to resolve things in your case, and how that worked out.
Any other photography bods able to add any thoughts?

Soldato
The options you suggest are neither cheap, modern, or have a clean upgrade path. Intel IPC has seen minor changes with each generation, since the 2nd gen 'i' processors, that leaves instruction set advancements, core count and frequency improvements. You can pick up a used Ryzen with higher core count and comparable IPC for less than a used x99 bundle and have a clear upgrade path. The only caveat is if your software is heavily optimised for intel, it may not be so clean cut.

Soldato
This has been a slightly disappointing read through! I've been running a 3770K (with 16gb 1600mhz) for donkeys years, and was thinking of getting an x79 board and 3930K as a cost-effective way to speed up my photo editing a bit, thinking the two extra cores and higher memory bandwidth would make life less frustrating. Now it's sounding like maybe I wouldn't experience a mind-blowing improvement? My second thought was to go x99 and go for either a 5820K or 5930K, and try some of this new fangled DDR4 the kids keep banging on about, but could this be another 'wont really feel the benefit' scenario?
I'd be interested to see how (or if...?) you decided to resolve things in your case, and how that worked out.
Any other photography bods able to add any thoughts?
For photo editing on a budget you'd be much, much better offer getting an MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard with a Ryzen 2600, and some DDR4. It would cost you about the same to go 2nd hand X99 but the Ryzen system would be faster in Lighroom/Photoshop plus also give you and upgrade path.

Associate
While I agree that a 6 core ryzen would give better performance and also offer newer features, from what I've seen its definitely not the same price, at least twice as much. Bear in mind that with the x79 option I could re-use my existing ram and cooler for the time timebeing. That being said, waiting and saving up for a ryzen system might make more sense long term

Back
Top Bottom