Slow Cookers and Colmans/Schwartz mixes

Associate
Getting to the age where I cannot keep living on ready meals and really dont have the time to spend cooking a lot so thinking of buying a Slow Cookers and making meals using Colmans/Schwartz mixes, hoping this will allow me to batch cook meals for later in the week but am a little confused about the size, would a 3.5l work? or am i looking for a 6.5?

Associate
I sometimes use the schwartz slow cooker curry mix, together with 500g chicken, tinned tomatos, onion, a diced potato, maybe carrot and 400ml stock. All in a 3.5l slow cooker with room to spare.

That does me for 4 servings.

Soldato
I think you can buy some herbs and DIY Schwartz Authentic Chicken Casserole Mix 36G
Wheat Flour (with Calcium, Iron, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Thiamin (Vitamin B1)), Modified Starch, Salt, Flavourings, Yeast Extract, Lactose (from Milk), Garlic Powder (3%), Skimmed Milk Powder, Sage (2%), Colour (Plain Caramel), Oregano, Rosemary, Black Pepper, Total content of Herbs and Spices = 6.2%
eg buywholefoodsonline.

earlier slow cooker thread too. ... 6.5L sounds massive

Soldato
Very odd questions. Don't have time to cook but want a slow cooker? :confused: You know you can cook stews etc. without one right? Just get a big casserole and cook for 3hrs. If you really don;t have time you should be looking for an Instant Pot / pressure cooker.

As for size, well it depends how much you want to cook doesn't it? :confused:

I think OP should get some basic cooking books. Something by Jamie Oliver or Jack Monroe I'd recommend.

Soldato
With a slow cooker I can set it up and leave it all day, I can’t do that with a casserole dish.

Indeed, I am not quite sure that guy is on about.

Slow cookers are great for quick food, if you have a freezer/some plastic microwave tubs, and a microwave, you can always make say two portions, or 4 or whatever, eat one and freeze the rest to make very quick and easy but also home made dinners.

If you add plenty of vegetables, and not too much meat, and try and have chicken over red meat, those kind of meals can be pretty healthy. If you get brave, can try without the spice packet.

Just chop up some onions, few chicken thighs some tomato puree (not too much) some garlic, pint of beer (or two, one in the pot, one in you works well) plenty of veg, bit of salt and pepper (or no salt) and that'll make a nice dinner.

....mmm second thoughts, if you are doing this in the morning, maybe the pint in you, isn't such a good idea.

Soldato
Indeed, I am not quite sure that guy is on about.
Well speaking as someone who cooks regularly, I find our slow cooker rarely gets used. If you're cooking for the week it gets done on the weekend right? So what I find is that I'd rather spend 3hrs in a Sat or Sun afternoon cooking a stew than spending my morning browning meats, preparing veg and then worrying about a slow cooker being on all day. If you're talking weekdays well I'd never have time in the morning. Just my 2p.

If you're trying to avoid ready meals it sounds like you should learn how to cook some fast pasta etc meals too.

Back
Top Bottom