Games freezing with 100% disk usage

Soldato
I've had an issue with games freezing for up to 10 seconds at a time. Made sure I had task manager up and it shows that at the time of the freeze one of my SSDs is at 100% usage. It's not even necessarily the disk that the game is installed to and is not my OS drive but is always the same drive.

Any ideas?

Associate
I had a very similar issue with the MSI auto updater tool for the motherboard, removing this set things right. IT would periodically spike to 100% CPU usage, and was bloatware anyway, so in the bin it went!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys, I have been taking a closer look today, according to task manager there is no actual transfer but active time is at 100% for the freeze period.

495048790.png

What program is responsible for the ssd usage?
I haven't been able to catch anything in processes tab (having trouble making it freeze today) but not sure I will based on the above.

How much RAM do you have?
16GB

Edit: Upon closer investigation device manager was showing that the driver for that drive was for a 240GB drive (which I used to have in my system) rather than a 480GB drive. I've reinstalled the drive and will see how that goes.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hopefully that does the trick. Worth double-checking Disk Management to see if that drive has ended up marked Active or Page File or similar, somehow

I haven't been able to catch anything in processes tab (having trouble making it freeze today) but not sure I will based on the above.

Resource Monitor > Disk > Disk Activity, is better for spotting the worst write-to-disk offender.

597q95M.png

Back
Top Bottom