Cheap and simple SSL cert for website?

Associate
Hi all,

I think I need to sort out a SSL cert for my website as I am seeing errors and warnings pop up sometimes.

What's the cheapest and easiest way to implement one?

Commissario
It's available with TSO Host but not via cpanel - only they have control over it. Perhaps another reason to leave them...

Associate
You can also run your site through Cloudflare, that gives you both CDN (including DDoS protection) and SSL services for free and you don't have to worry about certificate renewals because they do it for you.

Man of Honour
Move away from Heart to a modern host who don't use a proprietary, limited control panel. It's easier than you think if you find a good new home! :)

Any and all cPanel hosts should be providing automatic SSLs - cPanel comes with the feature built-in through Comodo/Sectigo, but the provider can switch to Let's Encrypt instead. No differences between the two really except brand recognition but no visitor will ever know.

Associate
Just tell them to enable AutoSSL for Letscrypt's FREE cert, this will do everything for you on Cpanel.

Some sneaking hosting companies wont tell you about it as they want to you buy one of their SSL cert offerings.

Associate
OP
Hmmmm, I'm not very impressed with the reply I received from heart...

Hi Dan,

Lets Encrypt is something we do not support on shared servers, because we do not allow third party SSLs.
If you need Lets Encrypt, this can be installed on a private server, such as VPS or Dedicated server.

Our SSL types are:
- Simple SSL - Low cost security, ideal for any small business website for £49.99 per year;
- Standard SSL - Perfect for business startups & small sites looking for personalised security & to give visitors extra reassurance - £149.99 per year;
- ExtendedVerification SSL - Maximum security with the green address bar & a warranty of $1,000,000 - £249.99 per year

Let me know if you have any questions.

From what I can make of that I am forced to use their own SSL?

Can anyone recommend a decent host? lol

Soldato
An SSL certificate usually costs around £10-£20 per year (if you're not using a free one). It wouldn't be difficult to find a hosting package + a certificate for less than the £50 that they want to charge you just to add a certificate.

Check the host review sticky for some recommendations.

Associate
Bit of a rip of £50 for their SSL. How much are you paying for the hosting ?

Pickaweb will give you a free LetCrypt SSL. Although their customer support is not as good as Simplex webs they are cheap.

Associate
OP
An SSL certificate usually costs around £10-£20 per year (if you're not using a free one). It wouldn't be difficult to find a hosting package + a certificate for less than the £50 that they want to charge you just to add a certificate.

Check the host review sticky for some recommendations.

Cheers, I'll check the thread out :)

£50 + VAT for a basic SSL cert is a rip off for a simple site these days.

How much are you paying and for what plan at the moment?

Just checked I'm paying £42 a year for the hosting, didn't even include any databases but at the time I signed up then moaned and they stuck one on the account.

Bit of a rip of £50 for their SSL. How much are you paying for the hosting ?

Pickaweb will give you a free LetCrypt SSL. Although their customer support is not as good as Simplex webs they are cheap.

Nice one, I'll check them out. Got to be cheaper than 40 odd quid + the cert. I have a couple of domain names with heart, I guess it wouldn't be too complicated to move to a new host?

Associate
Yeah its easy, get hosting service with new company then upload your files.

Check everything is working... then switch DNS to new hosting. Cancel old one once everything checks out.

Back
Top Bottom