Tesla model Y - Just unveiled to the world

Soldato
Is anybody else planning on getting a Tesla model Y? Anyone else excited to go electric?
No chance and most definitely.

The Koreans have my interest with the Kona and Niro, not that I'm a fan of that style of car but if they can package either of those as an i30 / Ceed type package I'd be all over one (assuming I can escape my company car trap). The Honda e-concept is also a very cool prospect but I think the premium price and compromised range will put me off. If they ever made that sport concept though with a 150 mile real world range and make it a hoot to drive... that could be a contender to replace the Mazda for weekend duties.

The whole Tesla way of doing things puts me off. Everything touchscreen, constant drip feed of features (and removal of) via updates, over promising and under delivering on technology, no dealer network... The one thing they do seem to be doing well is getting a charging network established.

Caporegime
Yes a long time ago.
This car is due this year and the rate won’t be hitting 1.60 this year, unlikely to see above 1.50 this year and that is when this car shall be landing.

Plus any price a manufacture sets in GBP will be based on a buffered rate so if we’re at 1.33 now any sensible manufacturer would base their rate around 1.25 to account for any further trend and protect from potential currency loss.

Not this year. It'll be another 18 months for US release, and probably 2.5 years before it's available in the UK. A lot can happen in that time frame (and a lot of competition can come out too).

Soldato
Why, on realising that they didn't need a grille for cooling, didn't they do something else? Instead of just whacking a great big flat bit on the front of the car which makes it look like they intended a grille and changed their minds at the last second?

Cos you need to cool batteries and driveline which a much lower temperature differential.. ie the water in the system isn’t boiling like an engine.

Soldato
Cos you need to cool batteries and driveline which a much lower temperature differential.. ie the water in the system isn’t boiling like an engine.

Eh? What's that got to do with them making the front the shape of a car which needs a grille, but with no grille? If they need cooling, have a grille. If they don't, make the front shape different.

Soldato
It's like that got half way through making a Ford C-Max, realised they didn't actually need a grille but left a spot for one anyway.

Soldato
What did they remove?
Something to do with menus or displays available... to be honest when the guy at work starts going on I just zone out a bit. It just occurred to me that even a small change would really bug me if it was implemented without my input. I want to get into a car and drive to work, not think "oh, where has x gone off my dash" :p

Maybe he makes it seem like a bigger deal than it is but it seems like every week he has to do his lecture on "this weeks feature updates" and often follows it up with his list of things that still don't work as they should.

Soldato
There was quite a big change in the OS when they moved from V8 to V9 but there weren't any features removed, it all just looked a bit different and some things worked in a slightly different way. Maybe it was that.

Soldato
Eh? What's that got to do with them making the front the shape of a car which needs a grille, but with no grille? If they need cooling, have a grille. If they don't, make the front shape different.

isn't this just making it snub nosed for pedestrian safety requirements (is the bonnet active too), otherwise everyone would have an aerofoil ?

Soldato
It’s pretty much bang on what was expected and I don’t think there is anything wrong with that. It’s the same car as the 3 just with a hatch and stretched a bit. It very much follows the Tesla design traits that all the other cars have.

I’m surprised it only lost 25 miles in range if I am honest, I know Tesla is very good when it comes to aero but as it’s slightly bigger then it may also have a few more cells inside.

Soldato
Bumper beam has to be so far forward for energy management of various crash events and pedestrian collision events where the joints of the knees and hip are trying to be controlled to reduce injury; or you balance where you need high energy metal or energy absorbing foam. This is whilst also having a car of a certain length for the marketing position and product portfolio etc. Hence noses of cars will always tend to look like this.

Soldato
I guess it must be related to the overall height of the car. Some sports cars only have knee high bumpers, with metal beams behind them and only a bit of foam or polystyrene in between. I wouldn't want to get hit by my gt86 crumple zones or not.

But if it was me I'd have to put something in that empty space because it looks weird :D

Maybe a mustache:

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I personally very much like the look of the Model 3, think it's lovely. More so in real life than in photos as well.

The Model Y I'm no so hot on, I think it looks alright. Not ugly, but not beautiful. I'm not really a Crossover/CUV/SUV person though, I never find them particularly attractive to look at. It looks better in the configurator pictures on Tesla's website than shots from the reveal event. I don't think some of those angles (ref. Nasher's photo above) are representative of how people will actually view the car in normal situations. Proportions plus the front number plate may make things less odd looking in reality. The specs on that thing, price points of the various models plus view from inside (panoramic glass roof) are all very good I feel. Should be very aerodynamic and range-efficient too. It should sell well.

As I believe somebody noted earleir, it's no coincidence it looks like an (overweight) Model 3. They're trying to make sure the ramp up in production goes a lot more smoothly than it did for their previous vehicles. The Model 3 being a noteable example of demand far outstripping supply. The Model Y shares over 70% (76%?) of the parts with the Model 3. The actual drivetrain and batteries are shared between them - as you can see, even the headlights are the same.

The best speculation on Model 3 pricing, I feel, is done by this guy, so starting price after the PICG incentive (£3500 currently) may be just over £30k. The Model Y starts at $39,000 when they release the base model. So using the same calculation you're realistically looking at £34,000+ for the Model Y after the PICG. Assuming that's the same by then, exchange rates etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom