No display on my TV

Soldato
I thought I'd put this here as the problem could be anywhere.

I am trying to make a living room PC. I got a bunch of spare parts to make a PC:

FM1 motherboard with an A4 3420 CPU or something
6GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX645
4k TV.

It works just fine on my monitor. I installed windows and set it to 1080p.

I plug it into my TV using hdmi and it says no signal. During post it detects a signal but shows only black. Perhaps the TV can't do 640*480? The TV then changes to 'no signal' mode.

The cable works fine in the ps3.
The cable works just fine through a laptop onto the TV, at 4k.
My R9 280 has the same problem.
An older socket 775 pc with either graphics card has the same problem.
It's not outputting through the integrated graphics which I disabled.

Any ideas? Simplest next step is a new cable but I'm not convinced it will do anything

Associate
I thought I'd put this here as the problem could be anywhere.

I am trying to make a living room PC. I got a bunch of spare parts to make a PC:

FM1 motherboard with an A4 3420 CPU or something
6GB DDR3
Nvidia GTX645
4k TV.

It works just fine on my monitor. I installed windows and set it to 1080p.

I plug it into my TV using hdmi and it says no signal. During post it detects a signal but shows only black. Perhaps the TV can't do 640*480? The TV then changes to 'no signal' mode.

The cable works fine in the ps3.
The cable works just fine through a laptop onto the TV, at 4k.
My R9 280 has the same problem.
An older socket 775 pc with either graphics card has the same problem.
It's not outputting through the integrated graphics which I disabled.

Any ideas? Simplest next step is a new cable but I'm not convinced it will do anything

Sounds like Windows misdetexting TV capabilities (Probably TVs fault) use CRU to force a resolution and refresh that you are sure should work with the TV in case it is trying to run out of spec. Ideally plug in a secondary monitor so you can mirror displays and see what's going on.

Associate
I'd agree with Bishi, sounds like the TV is passing through the 'optimal' resolution as 4K, max output resolution for the 645 is 2560x1600 (source)

either:
- connect another display so you can see what you are doing to lower the resolution
- use remote software (teamviewer or RDP) to do the same
- purchase a device called an EDID emulator to lock the signal to 1080/1440p (depending which looks better when scaled by your TV)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help. It's odd as sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. Sometimes I can even see the 640 *480 POST! The card can do higher than 2560*1600 if you look at the small print of your source (point 2 "4096x2160 resolution supported through a single HDMI connector"). It's probably not worth the hassle anymore :p

Soldato
Sometimes I can even see the 640 *480 POST!
I actually had this problem when I took a PC to a mate's house recently.

It turned out to be caused by the colour format the PC was outputting in AND the colour format the TV's HDMI input was set to accept. Setting colour to 4:2:2 or RGB on the PC and disabling 'deep colour' or 'enhanced formats' on the TV fixed it all up.

It's also worth trying another cable, again higher bandwidth colour formats may not make it through a cheaper or longer cable.

Back
Top Bottom