• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte warranty?

Soldato
Morning all, I've noticed there are a lot of b grade gigabyte vega 56's, I presume people returning them due to the sapphire deal.

Does anyone know their stance on manufacturers warranty? Is it done by serial and manufacture date?

Just want to know where I'd stand if it died after the OCUK b grade warranty.

Soldato
Morning all, I've noticed there are a lot of b grade gigabyte vega 56's, I presume people returning them due to the sapphire deal.

Does anyone know their stance on manufacturers warranty? Is it done by serial and manufacture date?

Just want to know where I'd stand if it died after the OCUK b grade warranty.

Grey area, @GIGA-Man might have some input but think your left on the 90 days with OCUK

Man of Honour
i would suggest getting the sapphire instead. lots of b-grade gigabytes for a reason.

On another note, should I get getting these sort of temperatures?
Using GPU-Z to monitor while running Furmark.

GPU Temperature 70 °C
GPU Temperature (Hot Spot) 106 °C
Memory Temperature 84 °C
SOC VRM Temperature 97 °C
Mem VRM Temperature 94 °C

(granted it's a vega 64, but still) crazy temps on the gigabyte cards.

Soldato
i would suggest getting the sapphire instead. lots of b-grade gigabytes for a reason.

Sorry but you cant just post a higher performance gigabyte v64 from dels thread where those temps were observed during FURMARK and not from games, you don't know what fan speed it was running at, what voltage and p-states it was running, whether the case had good ventilation or the psu was upto the task.

I may have been lucky, but my gigabyte v56 was outstanding for temps and overclocking. Sure the gigabyte has a bad name for itself, but in general Vega does anyway, as you have to tweak them.

Man of Honour
Sorry but you cant just post a higher performance gigabyte v64 from dels thread where those temps were observed during FURMARK and not from games, you don't know what fan speed it was running at, what voltage and p-states it was running, whether the case had good ventilation or the psu was upto the task.
  • AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
  • Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply
  • Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case
I may have been lucky, but my gigabyte v56 was outstanding for temps and overclocking. Sure the gigabyte has a bad name for itself, but in general Vega does anyway, as you have to tweak them.
as a rule of thumb, sapphire has the best AMD vega cards

Soldato
  • AMD Ryzen 7 Eight Core 2700X 4.35GHz (Socket AM4) Processor
  • Super Flower Leadex Platinum 850W Fully Modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply
  • Team Group Dark Pro "8Pack Edition" 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHz Dual Channel Kit
  • Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card
  • Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming K7 AMD X370 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Glass Midi Tower Case
as a rule of thumb, sapphire has the best AMD vega cards

Yes sapphire generally are, however you still cannot compare the v64 vs the v56 and from dels thread in FURMARK.

Man of Honour
however you still cannot compare the v64 vs the v56 and from dels thread in FURMARK.
clearly you haven't read my post, highlighted for effect:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gigabyte-radeon-rx-vega-56-gaming-oc-8g-review,5413-7.html
PROS
  • Noise-optimized design
  • Well-implemented heat pipe direct touch cooler
  • Great 2560x1440 gaming performance
  • Six display outputs
CONS
  • Poor availability
  • Uncertain pricing
  • Fan speed slightly too low
  • No thermal headroom for overclocking

Soldato
When researching I found that the Gigbyte cards seemed to run hooter and louder (Was looking at nVidia models mind) and it perhaps seems to be a trend. It has not affected my purchase decision as I will be putting it under water. I went with Gigabyte as they offered a 4 year warranty.

Soldato
When researching I found that the Gigbyte cards seemed to run hooter and louder (Was looking at nVidia models mind) and it perhaps seems to be a trend. It has not affected my purchase decision as I will be putting it under water. I went with Gigabyte as they offered a 4 year warranty.

The review card Gig v56/64 had a bios with a fan curve that was too reserved, combined with the excessive overvoltage on p6/p7 it didn't help with the reducing the generation of Heatsoak. Gigabyte later revised the bios by tuning the fan curve a little more aggressively.
In a tweakers hand which is what you have to do with Vega regardless, then the Gigabyte V56 is just as capable as the others when undervolted and a custom fan curve.
My Gig V56 was really quiet with out the box settings, but with a little undervolt it transformed it, Held 1600mhz core 900mhz memory at 1050mv. If you are one of those that only ever runs a gcard out the box settings, then you shouldn't consider a VEGA anyway.
I had a Gigabyte 970 G1 few years ago and that was pretty good too.

NO CRAZY TEMPS on mine

Soldato
although their warranty is great, nearly all gigabytes graphics lineuo have inadequate thermal solutions. Their 2080ti is so badly cooled that it is 20c hotter than evga 2080ti sc3. It seems to be more of a design philosophy with them, not sure whats going on but they need to understand people dont want small heatsinks with paltry fans because it means more aggressive fan profile which means LOUD. Their 2080ti sounds louder than my 6990 from ati which dual gpu and a blower cooler and loud, so just imagine.

Last edited:
Associate
although their warranty is great, nearly all gigabytes graphics lineuo have inadequate thermal solutions. Their 2080ti is so badly cooled that it is 20c hotter than evga 2080ti sc3. It seems to be more of a design philosophy with them, not sure whats going on but they need to understand people dont want small heatsinks with paltry fans because it means more aggressive fan profile which means LOUD. Their 2080ti sounds louder than my 6990 from ati which dual gpu and a blower cooler and loud, so just imagine.
The Aorus 2080 and 2080ti dont have the best coolers true but the Aorus 1080ti are fine, also the 1080 G1 i had was fine. The 2080ti non Aorus cards dont seem to have thermal issues from what i have read

Soldato
The Aorus 2080 and 2080ti dont have the best coolers true but the Aorus 1080ti are fine, also the 1080 G1 i had was fine. The 2080ti non Aorus cards dont seem to have thermal issues from what i have read

Aorus 1080ti is uses really bad quality metal/material which bends under a little pressure although its a good cooler on it. The cooler on their 2080ti is at best only fit for 2080's. The quality of the plastic on the auros lineup is bad, it suffers from moulding stress lines around the edges. Gigabyte has serious quality and engineering issues with their cards.

Their vega card are pants too by the look of things.

i really like gigabyte, their motherboards were amazing build quality and have never had one of their boards fail on me but recently they have dropped the ball.

Last edited:
Associate
Aorus 1080ti is uses really bad quality metal/material which bends under a little pressure although its a good cooler on it. The cooler on their 2080ti is at best only fit for 2080's. The quality of the plastic on the auros lineup is bad, it suffers from moulding stress lines around the edges. Gigabyte has serious quality and engineering issues with their cards.

I had two Gigabyte 780 Ti Ghz Edition cards which were had very high standard clock rates. The usual Gigabyte custom pcb madness. High clocks and no real room to overclock. They looked just as lovely as the Aorus does now. The fan shroud had a lot less plastic than the Aorus, by the end of their life the cards looked like horse shoes. Totally bent to hell.

I bought an Asus motherboard recently and the ASRock I have was pretty good. It started to go weird and the Dr Debug display is corrupt. I'll get another one. I had a few weird encounters back with Gigabyte motherboards about 10 years ago. IDE/Sata malfunction, BSOD stuff. This was when they had various revisions of boards and I think i got unlucky with a build my sister bought online. Then I bought one on a whim for a family email PC after I couldn't OC an early revision board. It must have been a good price but the new board was just as bad at OCing.

Most importantly tho, now that I think about it, the Gigabyte customer service folks have always been brilliant. I got a second hand board a good few years back without an I/O plate and they sent me one for free! So if you ever have to deal with them outside the retailer warranty period, they're not a bad lot.

Back
Top Bottom