Poll: Australian Grand Prix 2019, Melbourne - Race 1/21

Rate the 2019 Australian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Really happy with our performance today, Max showed we’ve got a great package. Nice to show pace with the engine change. Gasly was useless as expected but you can’t win them all, at least he managed to not crash. Hopefully he’ll improve but I’m struggling to see anything that special, probably unfair to judge him this early but he needs to step up if we’re yo beat Ferrari (which we definitely can).

Congratulations to Bottas. I think it was a great race to watch, plenty of close racing even if they struggled to over take sometimes. Looking forward to the rest of the season :).
Our performance? Do you work for red bull ? Or are you meaning our as a supporter ?

Associate
anybody else think that the sky commentating for that race was utter rubbish. there new tyre explanation "just think of it as bread, butter and jam".... how does that help over hard, medium, soft? the amount of mistakes made by Crofty was appalling.

Caporegime
Watched a 'race' for the first time in 3 years . Two or three teams with a realistic chance of winning , if they get their garage overtaking right , others just make up the grid places , going at nearly 10 seconds slower than pole , cars sound rubbish , drivers are characterless and teams so up themselves , F1 is dead and no great loss after that utter borefest I will just wait for the F1 extremeists and apologists to tell me I'm missing the finer points of F1 now. Sorry , its just slow go cart racing for rich kids. Never again.

Maybe it's just a joke to make a point, but seriously, Australia sucks almost every year. Try some other races and see if you feel the same, australia is pretty much the worst track of the season. Baku is kinda bad for racing but always has a lot of crap going on with crashes and seemingly everyone gets magnets put in the cars which somehow only react with their team mates cars. Bahrain can be really good, China is usually pretty good. Silverstone is a great track, Hungary can be both awful and brilliant, wet Hungary is awesome. USA is pretty much the most consistently great race every year. Canada was a rare awful race last year. Barcelona has been much better in recent years imo. Monaco sucks, Mexico sucks, Brazil is frequently great and if wet it's epic.

THere are loads of good races, some great races and unfortunately some truly rubbish ones. You're missing out if you base your decision off Australia alone, in fact you can just tune in every season to the second race and miss nothing.

Caporegime
anybody else think that the sky commentating for that race was utter rubbish. there new tyre explanation "just think of it as bread, butter and jam".... how does that help over hard, medium, soft? the amount of mistakes made by Crofty was appalling.

Brundle and Crofty thought that Kubica, pictured losing his wing out of T2, hit Ricciardo's wing, even though Kubica's wing was obviously missing at that point, despite the fact that Ricciardo lost his wing and was sitting off track just past the pitlane exit. Both of them are complete idiots. Also together the what is wrong with Vettel's pace... yeah, not the best tire wear and pitting WAY too early onto slower tires, yet not one of the three of them could figure that out between them, nor could they figure out why Ferrari didn't just tell them they knew they pit Vettel 15 laps too early... because admitting to such mistake that early into the season isn't a good look.

JRS

JRS

Soldato

Well, yeah. But pretty much all UK F1 commentary (be that Sky, BBC or later Channel 4) has been bobbins for a long time now. C4's especially so.

But it's been the form for decades. ITV commentary and coverage started out more than decent in '97, was bloody awful by the end of '08. BBC coverage started strong in '09, was lousy by the time Sky came on the scene and even worse by the time Channel 4 took over the BBC contract. Sky...well, started out as less poor than what the BBC was doing at the time and has steadily declined. C4 started out crap and stayed there :)

Man of Honour
So if Hamilton had a problem with his car, is Bottas an indication of how far ahead Mercedes are? Is the Merc still temperamental or will we finally see a return to some consistency?

Soldato
Well that was boring. However a few points:

- DRS is less strong which is a good or bad thing depending on how you view DRS
- Despite the less overtaking nature of this track there still seemed to be less overtaking than last year. I know these new half regs were never going to make overtaking amazing but with DRS seemingly being less potent overtaking could be worse...
- Lewis and Vettel are either still on holiday or they basically shafted each other by coming in too early/covering the other coming in
- The commentary was more dire than usual with loads more mistakes
- The Williams is pointless

Soldato
Boring race was boring. IIRC, Bahrain has been entertaining if late so maybe that’ll be a better show.

Commentary was shocking. Crofty gets the simplest, most obvious things wrong. Claiming that Leclerc had a problem and dropped to last while riding on board with someone and never actually seeing Leclerc slowing, them realising it was a transponder issue was rather amateur. The regularity with which he gets the names wrong is ridiculous. All he has to do is look at the timing sheet or remember what cars are in what position. The Kubica front wing thing someone else mentioned was terrible too. Hopefully he was just a bit rusty

Associate
Trying to watch the highlights on the All4 app and it keeps crashing so I presume there is a high load. I would be interested to know the Sky live Vs the highlight shows on C4 viewing figures.

Soldato
You don’t see the amount of pain it causes to numerous people when a driver crashes. Most people don’t understand the sacrifices so many people make to get a car built and to a track.

Accidents happen, it’s to be expected but he’s not a “new” driver and crashed badly due to no fault but his own. If he learns from it then great, if not then it’s an issue.

No, I love my job :). I’ve never had a day where I didn’t want to get up and go to work. Not many people can say that, I’m aware how fortunate I am.

Are you allowed to say what you do? Love how people on here have such wide variety of jobs .

Caporegime
I've just watched the highlights it's pretty sad that Ferrari are already screwing Leclerc over first race of the season in order to maximise Vettel's points total.

Soldato
Well, that was rather boring. Great performance from Bottas but I don't think it'll be a trend. RB looking very strong, Ferrari looking not great, and team orders in the first race of the season? This is going to be a tough year for Charles. Lando drove really well i thought, good for him.
And Williams...

Back
Top Bottom