spec me: out and out grunt with some gaming on the side.

Soldato
toying with the idea of a gaming mac and currently on the hunt for a 12 core mac pro as it seems to offer decent bang for buck for work stuff and a bit of light gaming on the side

spec wise i'm looking at something like

x2 Dual Intel Xeon X5690 Processors @ 3.46ghz ( 12 Cores, 24 Threads )
128GB
ECC Registered Memory
Nvidia GTX 1080 Graphics Card
1TB SSD
(Solid State Storage)
4TB Mechanical Storage

which will set me back about £1000-1200 for a base unit,

how do the lastest gen of cpus compare to a dual xeon setup as above in terms of sheer horsepower its going to be in work so running costs are nothing to worry about and i wouldnt like to spend any more than say £1500 all in,

spec me something quirky and grunty please guys and girls

Soldato
I would look at an AMD Threadripper system.

Mine wipes the floor with my old dual x5660s in terms of CPU power, ECC support is available and you also get access to the latest storage tech more easily, PCIE3 rather than V2, newer SATA, DDR4 etc etc. X5690 is an 8 year old CPU though so I guess you can't expect the latest tech!

You can also get OSX to work on Threadripper systems if you feel so inclined - though might be worth researching the best motherboard to get if that's your intention.

Going to be tough in budget if buying new, but a first gen 12 core 24 thread 1920x can be picked up quite cheaply now, 128gb of DDR4 might break the bank though, but a system with 64gb should fit in budget I think.

Soldato
OP
What workloads are you doing ?

Cases of Intel being better (geomapping ) and cases of thread ripper being better (rendering )

dont laugh but chrome, occasional bit of Football manager and some light office apps ie excel word :) :)

i'm of a notion to build a gaming mac setup and have been looking at the specs above as a plaything and this is just a tangent of that if i'm spending x amount on a mac with 12 cores what can i get for the same money in the same sort of mould.

i can see this being a seriously dark rabbit hole i'm about to fall down :(

Soldato
Hackintosh will require you to see what boards and hardware will work etc .
Bit of a pain as can slap in what you want all the time .

Windows based PC with custom hardware parts is far easier

Soldato
OP
Is there not anything else you're doing with the system? Those components are better suited to media creation or server workloads than browsing the web and using office.

thats where half the fun is :)

i dont need a 12 core 24 thread or more rig but i want one

Back
Top Bottom