• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD lost the GPU war?

Caporegime
...beware of fanboys.
And click-bait headline "articles".

Honestly, I'm not even bothering to watch the video because it'll be awful.

Stagnation is a real thing right now, but has also been on the CPU side for years.

I'm hoping things will improve by 2020/1 in the GPU space.

Associate
I suppose because people always buy Nvidia first, without even considering AMD, despite some good offerings from the latter. This is why we're seeing insane prices from Nvidia, they know they can get away with it. :(
If i want a stonking high performance card i usually go Nvidia. If i want a midrange or budget card I usually go with AMD, because they are good value.
I honestly cant believe consumer GPU's have pushed above £1000 and towards £2000 this Gen. Its mad.

Permabanned
It's all bluster, video clickbait, I thought we'd been expecting & waiting to see the full Turing range for ages, AMD's Navi should be this year so what's out of the norm exactly & why has AMD lost anything?

Caporegime
They haven't lost. Nvidia do at the moment have quite the lead though. AMD can't keep up unfortunately.

Hopefully navi and beyond will change this.

Associate
top end yes but they are still competitive mid and low range. Hopefull things will change at the top end as prices are crazy with the 2080ti

Soldato
top end yes but they are still competitive mid and low range. Hopefull things will change at the top end as prices are crazy with the 2080ti

I think most sensible people will agree with this.

That being said, it's hard to see how AMD will ever compete at the top end again, given the differences in budget.

Intel got lazy and complacent and allowed AMD to get back on and compete very well with Ryzen in the CPU market.

I don't see Nvidia making the same mistakes, which unfortunately leaves the consumer at their mercy.

And they have none.

Soldato
Has RTG gone out of business? Pfft, bad faith topics.

images

Associate
I honestly cant believe consumer GPU's have pushed above £1000 and towards £2000 this Gen. Its mad.

They've pushed that far because people are buying them anyway, and this trend will only continue if they think they can get away with it. Which is why we need a competitive AMD at the higher end, to drive prices back down.

Monopolies are nothing but bad for consumers, because they nearly always result in runaway pricing, and poor quality control. Which is precisely what we have been seeing from Nvidia just lately.

Associate
Stagnation is a real thing right now
This.

And I feel like stagnation is going to be hurting nvidia right now. If 2.5 years ago you spend £250 on a gpu and have £250 to spend now dont bother you won't get much of an upgrade, if you spent £400 then and have £400 now, dont bother, same for £600...

Right now upgrading is only worthwhile if you are going up a price tier or have a graphics card from 2015. I think there is a lot of money not getting spent on graphics cards right now because it's just not worth upgrading

Soldato
This.

And I feel like stagnation is going to be hurting nvidia right now. If 2.5 years ago you spend £250 on a gpu and have £250 to spend now dont bother you won't get much of an upgrade, if you spent £400 then and have £400 now, dont bother, same for £600...

Right now upgrading is only worthwhile if you are going up a price tier or have a graphics card from 2015. I think there is a lot of money not getting spent on graphics cards right now because it's just not worth upgrading

They have recently bought a company that cater for data centres I believe so gamers are not going to be a problem for them...

Soldato
Absolutely bang on. The fanboys should do themselves a favour and watch this.

Best

Wulf

I would say taking into account the games bundle the Vega 56 is in a good place.
RTX has raytracing and up until now is why I personally would not have paid more for an AMD card. BUT with that new crytek raytracing video if that pans out the all of a sudden Vega 64 or Radeon VII may be interestig

Back
Top Bottom