What's this like for car servicing charge?

Man of Honour
Why do they top up brake fluid? The only reason the level should drop is because of wear on the brakes. If they keep topping it up you’ve then got to remove fluid when you replace the pads or it’ll overflow. As long as the fluid is above the minimum fill level they should leave it alone.

I suspect it is one of these "add-on" things where companies actually make their money - low cost but high profit option where they don't really do much probably just a token "top up" and brief check it is as should be.

Permabanned
Brake fluid is something that should be changed every couple of years but many rarely do.

Brake fluid is a hygroscopic fluid which means it absorbs water over time, which not only messes up the feel of the brake pedal but can cause internal corrosion of callipers and brake pipes etc.

This is because brake fluid is a hygroscopic fluid - meaning that it absorbs water over time reducing its effectiveness.

If the fluid is not changed before the water content reaches the 3% mark, the water brings down the normal boiling point of the brake fluid and air bubbles are created as a result. Once this happens, the brakes become ineffective and dangerous.

If that wasn't bad enough, a motorist probably won't even be aware that this has taken place because the braking system will appear completely normal until the brake fluid reaches the reduced boiling point - which usually occurs after braking heavily.

Symptoms can be:- the brakes take on a sponge-like feeling and don't work - so the car fails to stop. If the driver happens to be on a hill or driving along a motorway when this happens, the consequences don't even bear thinking about.

Most manufacturer`s recommend changing the brake fluid at least every 2 years (or more regularly for cars fitted with ABS, ESP or for high mileage users).

Soldato
It should be changed, it doesn't need to be topped up (IMO).

You can take a car down to max allowable wear on the discs and pads without the reservoir going below the minimum level. Topping up serves no useful purpose, it isn't a consumable item.

Soldato
Yea that's the one. As it's a flat engine the spark plugs are on the sides and there's almost no room to get your hands in. You can just about do it without taking the engine out with the right tools, but not the way the dealers do it. They do use iridium plugs at least so it's only every 60k miles.

Other than that they are normal price services :p

Last edited:
Associate
That is bang on the money.

My i10 hyundai with the 1.2 engine. Would be about that price. I purchased all the products myself.

4 x NGK sparkplus £8.10 × 4 = £32.40
Oil filter from Halfords £8.70
Oil 5 litres from Halfords £20.00
K&N air filter £26.03
Total = £87.13

Serviced by me. It's all in line with every other main dealer tbh. Good price.

Soldato
That is bang on the money.

My i10 hyundai with the 1.2 engine. Would be about that price. I purchased all the products myself.

4 x NGK sparkplus £8.10 × 4 = £32.40
Oil filter from Halfords £8.70
Oil 5 litres from Halfords £20.00
K&N air filter £26.03
Total = £87.13

Serviced by me. It's all in line with every other main dealer tbh. Good price.
What oil are you getting that's 5 litres for 20 quid, vegetable?:p.

Permabanned
What oil are you getting that's 5 litres for 20 quid, vegetable?:p.
To be fair the proper oil for my car is only £20 for 5 litres. I think the parts for mine came to just over £50 that includes oil, oil filter, air filter and fuel filter. Took about 1-2 hours tops including 2 front rollbar links.

https://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1354

I actually quite enjoy servicing my car I get a strange sense of satisfaction.

Soldato
Does that mean you can ring up Hyundai for a cup of tea while your servicing your car by the roadside? :)
lol their tea is pretty decent from my experience.

If I'm honest, their servicing has been one of my best experiences of a dealership ever before.

Opened my eyes to what you can buy for 10k too, the i20's a great little run abouts! Enough oomf for a city car and really full of toys

Back
Top Bottom