Had an heart attack.

Permabanned
Am ok ish but not moving around much and my left side of my body is screwed. I will live;)

Well, call me Mr. Moist Pantie Gussett if you want, but you're making light, in the great British tradition of ignoring
the bleedin' obvious, chances are there will be another one, much worse, along later, get your affairs in order man.

Man of Honour
Ouch. Hope you recover quickly!

Well, call me Mr. Moist Pantie Gussett if you want, but you're making light, in the great British tradition of ignoring
the bleedin' obvious, chances are there will be another one, much worse, along later, get your affairs in order man.
That's what I love about this forum. Lots of positive support :D

Soldato
Not me but my colleague not too long a go was moving some kit around which I usually did and on the way home he felt terrible so his wife drove him to A&E and he had a mild attack.

He had a stent fitted and has since turned his lifestyle around and runs and cycles more than me now. Hopefully you'll regain more mobility over time but you may have to work at it.

Associate
Am ok ish but not moving around much and my left side of my body is screwed. I will live;)
I wish a good recovery for you.
Roland is right in a sense, and I'm sure you already know this; it's sometimes a good wake-up call for a second chance, not only for you but the people around you who may wish to tidy thier health a bit too.
Best of luck! :)

Soldato
OP
were you asleep and woken up by it? must have been scary.

Yes I was and no it was not scary it just hurt like hell, the pain was like you would not believe. I took every pain killer I had around and nothing worked after an hour passed it was a 999 job and I was meffed up.

Soldato
Yes but am getting out today I have an enlarged heart will be on drugs for the rest of my life. I suppose the days of pill popping in raves will help me take them everyday. :p

Maybe the rave pills caused this condition?

So what was it like, intense pain, feeling of asphyxiation, what else?

Caporegime
I had two on consecutive days in 2013, first one I ignored pretty much, was in a lot of pain on my left side, had gone grey and was perspiring like I’d never done before, I remember wiping sweat off my forearm as it reappeared as soon as I’d lifted the towel!

Due to the insisting of my then wife, I drove myself to the local walk in centre where I was informed I was having a heart attack (which is the moment I thought “oh ****!”) and was blue lighted to the hospital where I had a second the following evening.

I was told a third would kill me, it’s not happened - yet! - still trucking today (having lost my hgv license after declaring it to the dvla) the one thing I’ve been left with is an absolute hatred of anything on TV with hospitals in it, just can’t watch be it Casualty or a serious documentary yet weirdly visiting hospitals for whatever reason doesn’t bother me at all!

Man of Honour

It’s not a certainty that you’ll have another one.
Knock on wood, I had a mild one in 1995, and haven’t had another.
I was asleep, my wife was on a girls night out, when the pain woke me.
It’s drummed into us that chest pain and numbness in an arm is the precursor to a heart attack, but my pain felt like someone was trying to drill through my back, between my shoulder blades, with an old hand drill.
My initial thought was that I had “layed awkwardly” in bed, and that it was muscular pain, but eventually the pain got so bad, that I got up, put some jeans and a shirt, and drove myself to Guy’s Hospital in my wife’s car, the last thing that I recall of that night/early a.m., was a male doctor saying, “You do realise that you’re having a heart attack, don’t you?”
This was the early hours of Saturday morning, and I opened my eyes next on Monday, with my wife and mother-in-law sitting by my bed in ICU.
Fortunately I was discharged after five days, but told not to drive, and to do a 30 minute exercise walk every day.
One of the best things about getting out of hospital, was that I could get back to decent food, and more importantly, REAL coffee, my wife had been fetching dinners in for me, and using the nurses microwave to heat them up.
I called the Public Carriage Office, and they said that my taxi driver licence would be suspended, until a cardiologist signed me off as fit to drive.
Three months later, subsequent to a cardiogram, and a three minute test on a treadmill, I got my badge and taxi licences back.
I had to have the treadmill test every three years after that, but was fit enough to retain my taxi licence until I eventually decided to quit driving my taxi.
All the best OP, just be prepared to get mugged off by insurance companies if you want holiday insurance in future.

Man of Honour
No more booze and fags for you then my lad.

Maybe you mean the OP, but if you mean me, after my post # 17, I’d already quit smoking some time prior to my heart attack.
I was still drinking though, and maybe too much, not beer ever, although I was caning the vodka.
I was advised to ease up, but not advised to quit altogether.
That wasn’t easy, I enjoyed it too much, although I’d go for days without touching it, then go nuts on a Friday or Saturday night.
I probably drink a couple of double vodkas maybe three nights per week now, but I’ve reined in the tonic water, since I was told that there was evidence of excess fluid in the chamber around my heart, and I was prescribed diuretics.
I was originally advised to drink no more than 1.8 litres per day of any and all fluids, coffee, water, booze, Coca-Cola.
This has since been increased to 2 litres.

Back
Top Bottom