msi laptop bootup with 100% cpu usage

Associate
Laptop on bootup until desktop goes 100% cpu usage with fans going very loud with CPU temp going to 90c+ when im not playing any games. i never remember it doing this on bootup and it seems to stay like this for a few minutes. it use to be very low on fan noises until now on startup, does anyone know any possible reason why this is happening?.. i have run a CC cleaner so far and that is pretty much it

Associate
OP
Windows updates are up to date. its not as bad now randomly on startups it goes a lot cooler on and off, but gaming now im hitting now 85+ on auto fan speeds.. this use to be uncommon around 5 months ago.. i have a feeling it could be thermal paste need renewing possibly?

Soldato
A lot of laptops have a fan curve that is pretty slow to respond to a big increase in temps. Upon boot up a lot of stuff starts running so causes quite a big usage spike which ramps temps up really fast but when the fans catch up it's fine.

Best bet is to undervolt the cpu a touch in throttle stop then create a task to run it upon boot up.

Associate
Which MSI model is it?

I can tell at 4.8k RPM 91c your fan curve is all wrong, as your fans should be maxing out at 5k rpm way before 91c imo.

As your CPU is maxed out, I would suggest at this point you may need to reapply thermal paste some of it could be touching parts it shouldn't decreasing the heat transfer from CPU to heatsink then to the exhaust.

Check you have;

Updated all firmware/bios on the MSI website
Check your bios settings upon restart are set to allow fan to adjust speed according to temp.
Check your fan curve in the MSI app (i would start for CPU like slowly going up, like 10%, 20%, 30%, then ramp up, 50%, 100%, 150% to allow for rapid cooling under high temps).
Check there is no dust (open back, clear dust, use anti static brush carefully or can of air to blow dust away).

Have you overclocked the CPU? check voltages etc

My MSI does ramp up to 100+% on the fans upon start due to not loading the fan speed program, this seems normal, but it returns to normal fan curve after I login to windows. Could be a safety feature?

edit: have you ever dropped your laptop?

Back
Top Bottom