Votes: 286 75.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 49 12.9%

• Total voters
Caporegime
UPDATE - 6th June 2019
4K, HDR, 60fps @ 35Mbps connection
720p, 60fps @ 10Mbps connection

Best experience with Stadia controller but can use mouse/keyboard or other gamepads
Need Chromecast Ultra for HDTV
Use Google Chrome for PC, laptop
Use App for Pixel 3 phones

Stadia Base if you just buy games
Stadia Pro subscription £8.99 for 4K, HDR, 60fps
Stadia Founder's Edition includes Chromecast Ultra, Controller, 3 months Stadia Pro for you and a friend, complete Destiny 2 package £119
14 countries at launch incl. UK

Game (Trailers) shown -

Baldur's Gate III (Larian Studios)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Ubisoft)
Gylt (Tequila Works)
Get Packed (Coatsink / Moonshine Studios)
Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (Ubisoft)
Destiny 2: Shadowkeep (Bungie)

No-one seems to know what's coming up. Is it a full fledged piece of hardware to rival Xbox and PlayStation? Is it a simple HDMI stick device based around Chrome that will stream games across the internet similar to the Assassin's Creed Odyssey test a few months ago? All will be revealed in three days time.

Both Ubisoft and Bethesda (Doom) are going to be guests of Google at the keynote.

The teaser video -

The livestream reveal video -

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'm really not keen on someone like Google entering the gaming market. I do not want any form of streaming games (which they've been testing) and I'm very apprehensive about their invasive information collection and monetisation models.

I suppose my biggest concern is that they buy developers/games that I like so I'm forced to get a Google box to play them.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
I think it is inevitable that it will be a streaming device, if they offer rentals of top end PC games and there is little lag I will be interested.

Caporegime
OP
If the streaming service has the new releases available on launch day, I could see it being better than renting discs from Boomerang. You can either get your moneys worth in 30 days or if you want to keep playing, buy the game elsewhere on the platform of your choice if you prefer to keep it.

Soldato
I have zero interest in a streaming device or service, and that applies to MS and Sony in the next generation too. Still, there's clearly some potential for those services to make strides in the future so it'll be interesting to see what Google intend to do.

Associate
Technology isn't entirely there for streaming services, hence why PSNow hasn't been a rip roaring success. We've only just got some form of mediocre fibre optic internet where we live, I can stream Netflix and download games in under a day but streaming high end games consistently with minimal to no lag I don't think will be achievable.

Soldato
this might be great in a lab or in areas where people have access to fantastically low ping connections but for the remaining 90% of people its not going to be a great experience if its a streaming service.

a google console on the other hand that offers basic browsing functionality alongside some heavy duty gaming could be a winner

Caporegime
OP
PSNow hasn't been a rip roaring success.

It's just launched in some new countries which will help things but what Sony needs to do is put their first party games on it - released day and date just as Microsoft are doing. If that happened, I'd be all over it like a fly on dung and probably even ditch my PS4 Pro and use PS Now via PC.

Man of Honour
It's just launched in some new countries which will help things but what Sony needs to do is put their first party games on it - released day and date just as Microsoft are doing. If that happened, I'd be all over it like a fly on dung and probably even ditch my PS4 Pro and use PS Now via PC.

I'm on a 10Gb connection with 4ms ping to the local data centre but remote play still feels like playing underwater.

Man of Honour
Maybe, maybe not. In my mind, it looks a similar size to the PS4. :p (Wishful thinking perhaps.)

I'd be extremely happy to be proven wrong and they make a full Xbox one x competitor but that doesn't fit all the tests that they've been doing.

Unless the streaming processing centres are close enough to me that the latency is less than one frame (16ms) then it's just not usable for me as I like my difficult pixel perfect games whether single or multiplayer.

Soldato
I'm looking forward to this. Should be interesting to see what they're up to.

Surprised so many are in the "it won't work" camp, given the number of services already offering game streaming. At this point, it seems an inevitable part of gaming's future.

Associate
Speculated there will be 2 devices, one for streaming and one for physical.

It's difficult to understand how they will cope, hopefully they don't hedge all their bets on streaming as I think the product could fail. Wifes going to kill me if this becomes another must own console.

Back
Top Bottom