Going from 350Z to family car...

Soldato
I honestly wouldn't rush to get an estate.

Everybody is different but we weren't those people who packed to go away for 2 weeks every time we left the house.

We had a small changing bag and a fold down pram which we used until she was old enough to sit upright most of the time and switched to a lightweight pushchair.

I always regret selling my DC2 TBF, even that wasn't too bad in hindsight, boot was big enough and the door openings were decent due to the shape of the car.

By the time she was 2 and could climb in herself no bother I was running around in a Twingo RS, a Clio RS and an MX5!
What happens when you want to somewhere for two weeks though?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I see a family car as something which can be used for anything. We have a Skoda superb and a qashqai and love the size of the superb and don't think we could cope with having anything smaller.

A day out with the kids? No worries just fill the boot up and away you go.

Weekend away, plenty of space for everything including the kitchen sink.

Centre parcs...no bother just stick everything in the car including the kids scooters.

2 weeks camping...tent, electric coolbox, suitcases no worries.

Tip run you say...yeah I can fit that wardrobe in no bother!

Exactly this. I really wanted an Audi S3 8V but settled for the a Audi A4 B9 Avant 252ps. Going shopping and being able to fit everything in the boot plus the trips to centre parcs it’s been very useful. Having a bigger car has so much utility as a young family. I didn’t want to compromise every time something came up that required more room.

Associate
Whilst its probably easy to get by without an estate it does make life a lot easier with a little one.
I don't need to really plan how anything fits in the car, just chuck it in :)

There have been times for a weekend away where the main bulky items have been clothes bags, Large pram, travel cot, toys (scooter etc) that do fill up a car pretty quick.

Associate
First things first how did you end up with a 350Z if you're not a car person. It's a drivers car :D

I was in exactly same boat 18 months ago. Loved my 2008 350Z, really nice example, but once the little one came along it became impractical and had to go. I ended up with a M140i, but should be quite a few options in your price range. Good luck selling on the 350, I didn't have a great deal of interest which surprised me a bit.

Soldato
OP
First things first how did you end up with a 350Z if you're not a car person. It's a drivers car :D

I figured YOLO and it was the perfect time to have an impractical car! Have loved it ever since! (Previous car was a 1L Lupo, so it was quite an upgrade! :D

I do low mileage (so don't care about the fuel costs), have loads of NCB, so insurance is cheap, no kids and (at the timeI bought it), no mortgage.

Associate
Feel you pain, when i finally had to get a grown up car i went from my last MR2 to a Lexus IS200, what was a great car for family use. But i still ended going buying an estate, well if you can call a 3 series touring an estate the boot is that great of a size.

You could look at a subaru Legacy or Forester? If you really like the 3L V6 in the 350Z you could look at a Nissan Stagea???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-S...185102?hash=item58fe74bb8e:g:epIAAOSwnHZYiHfC

I am sure there is a forum member on here who has one.

Associate
Perfect family wagon :D

A1711195_medium.jpg

I have a 350z and bought the wife a Suzuki Swift at the same time. I have 2 kids and have never had a space issue in the dinky Suzuki. People Automatically think OMG a kid is on the way I must buy a huge Estate and take the whole contents of my house every time I go out!!!

Why not keep your Zed and get the missus something for the family?

Soldato
I wouldn't worry. It was hardly like the 350z was renowned for it's amazing performance handling or pace. Most fast saloons from the last decade including the ST220 will probably do.

Soldato
I have a 350z and bought the wife a Suzuki Swift at the same time. I have 2 kids and have never had a space issue in the dinky Suzuki. People Automatically think OMG a kid is on the way I must buy a huge Estate and take the whole contents of my house every time I go out!!!

Why not keep your Zed and get the missus something for the family?

It all depends on what you do for holidays and weekends though.

We could probably get away with the qashqai day to day no bother it's the times we go to centre parcs and weekend away we would struggle.

We purchased a tent this year and plan on going camping a fair bit, no way could we do that in the QQ.

I mean my cousin has 3 kids and they get by in an i20...I would much prefer to not have to be some sort of Tetris champion trying to get everything to fit in the car.

Caporegime
It all depends on what you do for holidays and weekends though.

We could probably get away with the qashqai day to day no bother it's the times we go to centre parcs and weekend away we would struggle.

We purchased a tent this year and plan on going camping a fair bit, no way could we do that in the QQ.

I mean my cousin has 3 kids and they get by in an i20...I would much prefer to not have to be some sort of Tetris champion trying to get everything to fit in the car.

My brother in law managed to put in a weeks camping, missus, child and a siberian huskey into his Mazda 3 so it is doable.

Soldato
My brother in law managed to put in a weeks camping, missus, child and a siberian huskey into his Mazda 3 so it is doable.

I'm not doubting it for a minute...however can imagine that it was some squeeze.

I use don't think I could go to anything smaller than the superb now we've got used to the space .

Caporegime
I'm not doubting it for a minute...however can imagine that it was some squeeze.

I use don't think I could go to anything smaller than the superb now we've got used to the space .

We did a 4 hour trek up to the lake district. Albeit he packed a smaller tent and was a lot more basic. It wasn't that much different to my Saab 9-5 Estate in terms of comfort. Just needed to pack a lot more smart where as i could just basically chuck everything in, pack proper beds/chairs etc. Although our collie still had to ride shotgun but i think she loved that!

Back
Top Bottom