How much has your council tax gone up this year?

Soldato
To anyone who is wondering why there has been a large increase, there are two main reasons.

1) An ageing population which means that thd Councils need more money to fund residential and home care for older adults.

2) This is the main reason. The central government has cut the amount of money it gives to councils by 60% and aims to cut to £0 by 2020. This means that all of the income the councils need has to be generated by themselves via business and council tax rates. Keeping tax at previous levels would simply have been unsustainable.

Soldato
2) This is the main reason. The central government has cut the amount of money it gives to councils by 60% and aims to cut to £0 by 2020. This means that all of the income the councils need has to be generated by themselves via business and council tax rates. Keeping tax at previous levels would simply have been unsustainable.

I agree, but why?

Caporegime
To anyone who is wondering why there has been a large increase, there are two main reasons.

1) An ageing population which means that thd Councils need more money to fund residential and home care for older adults.

Doesn't council tax go down to London first and then they get a slice of that or am I missing something?

Soldato
Around 4.5% here - total joke. considering the fact they delivered 2 new recycling bins the same day so now have 6 different bins to fill and some only get emptied every 3 weeks now...

Caporegime
Around 4.5% here - total joke. considering the fact they delivered 2 new recycling bins the same day so now have 6 different bins to fill and some only get emptied every 3 weeks now...

You are lucky we had to pay £30 for our garden waste bin and was put on a 8 week waiting list for delivery! Then after that pay £40 a year for it to be picked up! I would expect door to door service but no you have to have it facing the right way round in a perfect position and it gets dumped somewhere near your property if the bin men can be bothered.

Associate
this is what we pay here band a has gone up £47.59 4.1 % increase.
  • Band A - £1,217.65
  • Band B - £1,420.59
  • Band C - £1,623.53
  • Band D - £1,826.47
  • Band E - £2,232.36
  • Band F - £2,638.24
  • Band G - £3,044.12
  • Band H - £3,652.95
how do the bands compare with other parts of the country ?

Soldato
this is what we pay here band a has gone up £47.59 4.1 % increase.
  • Band A - £1,217.65
  • Band B - £1,420.59
  • Band C - £1,623.53
  • Band D - £1,826.47
  • Band E - £2,232.36
  • Band F - £2,638.24
  • Band G - £3,044.12
  • Band H - £3,652.95
how do the bands compare with other parts of the country ?

Ours is band G at £2886. So a little cheaper than your area by the look of it.

Soldato
I agree, but why?

Deficit reduction I guess. Plus it is clearly less politically damaging for central government to pass the buck onto local authorities, rather than raising general taxation. Its a sort of stealth tax in my mind.

It is particularly damaging for councils because everyone thinks the only thing local councils do is bins, libraries and possibly older adult care. Very few realise its ALL residential and community care (care in the home) including provision for children, learning disabled adults, physical and adult mental health and also responsibility for public health, amongst other things!

Caporegime
5.5pc!

Luckily its a band A Some people are.l Going to have a big shock.
But I guess if. You have a large house you probs can afford it.

But this can't go on. It's going to be tough for people close to the wire

Soldato
Can someone explain this to me? Who is responsible for these increases - is it down to whichever party is running their constituency, or is it just down to what budget the conservatives give to which area?

I’ve only become a homeowner since about 8 months ago - so I’m a newbie :p I announced to my office that my council tax has gone up 6% and they all laughed at me and basically said “yeah get used to that!” :p

Back
Top Bottom