• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA Could Tease Its Next-Gen Ampere GPU on 7nm at GTC 19

Soldato
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/03/18/geforce-now-cloud-gaming-service/

The service works by upgrading your local, underpowered or incompatible hardware — whether it’s a PC with integrated graphics or a Mac that doesn’t have access to all the latest games — into a state-of-the-art GeForce gaming PC in the cloud. It’s the first gaming rig that you never have to worry about upgrading, patching or updating.

GeForce NOW is an open platform, allowing users to “bring their own games” from the top stores. There are already more than 500 games supported on GeForce NOW, with more added every week.

Associate
$99 Nvidia Raspberry Pi. Didn't see that coming. I... might actually want one!

No mention of its linux gaming prowess bar that it runs linux with claimed proper driver support.

Soldato
I am very confused by this tbh

You paying for RTX to get the speed boost to enable the Ray Tracing! They had a Press conference event about this. Now you can just enable it on GTX? Come again! Why did people upgrade over the 1080Ti to 2080 !!

So then I reading a GTX 1080 Ti gets you 18fps in Metro and am sitting here what is the point? Its clearly unplayable!

Am confused by all this lol

Soldato

You paying for RTX to get the speed boost to enable the Ray Tracing! They had a Press conference event about this. Now you can just enable it on GTX? Come again! Why did people upgrade over the 1080Ti to 2080 !!

So then I reading a GTX 1080 Ti gets you 18fps in Metro and am sitting here what is the point? Its clearly unplayable!

Will be usable with enough tweaks probably, or at least in other games that are less demanding wrt RT. Exodus is far from a pure PC technical masterpiece. Besides RT it doesn't have much going for it (graphically), and even that is questionable in terms of GI when you think of what was achieved in RotTR. If nothing else it would be fun to play Quake 2 RT'ed, which I'm hoping will be playable on Pascal (60 fps).

edit:

1nHT6Rj.png

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Will be usable with enough tweaks probably, or at least in other games that are less demanding wrt RT. Exodus is far from a pure PC technical masterpiece. Besides RT it doesn't have much going for it (graphically), and even that is questionable in terms of GI when you think of what was achieved in RotTR. If nothing else it would be fun to play Quake 2 RT'ed, which I'm hoping will be playable on Pascal (60 fps).

edit:

1nHT6Rj.png

Ray Tracing is not that great on a RTX Titan or 2080 Ti, its ok but not something that makes a big difference to the game.

Basic Ray Tracing on Pascal I think will be very disappointing.

The only place I have seen Ray Tracing look really good was in the Port Royal bench using TU102 cards in SLI to get the fps up, but this is just a synthetic test.

Caporegime

It is Odd, but it just highlights why you need dedicated hardware and justifies to RTX owners why they paid for the 20 series.
I expect it is related to the Crytex AMD RT demo and there will be mindless AMD fanboys proclaiing that yoy don;t need RTX GPUs, AMD are so amazing they can do RT without dedicated harwdare, despite the fact Nviodia already demosnatretd that last year with Volta.

What this release shows is that Nvidia can of course develop a software only RT solution but the whole point of RTX is it is 2-3x faster and actually gets you playable framerates.

Associate
I guess this may get more people trying rt in games. If they like the look of it but the fps sucks then they may upgrade to 20 series

Soldato
I've found the HDR tone-mapping on Freesync feature makes more of a difference! I think Division 2 is the only game with it atm, but I really like it :)

100% agreed. I'd trade HDR for any Ray Tracing nonsense every time. Too bad they don't work together very often (or for very long). Baby steps I suppose.

Caporegime
100% agreed. I'd trade HDR for any Ray Tracing nonsense every time. Too bad they don't work together very often (or for very long). Baby steps I suppose.

Normal HDR10 using the 2080Ti is fairly rough in comparison, it's just a 'do all' implementation. Picking up a V64 later, might just end up replacing the Ti!

Associate
So basically Nvidia "could" have done a lot of things during GTC 2019 but instead decided to do "not a lot" for discreet GPU gaming hardware and just used it as a platform to market RTX hardware with a bit more messaging.

Or to put it another way they are going to publicly do naff all until AMD show Navi in action.

Back
Top Bottom