• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has AMD lost the GPU war?

Soldato
I still have this weird thought that AMD are gonna try and do what they did with Ryzen and multi-chip it. I know a lot of people will disagree, and latency in GPU's (and other issues) is a big problem, but I do wonder if they will take that route.

Man of Honour
Interestingly, I am playing right now CS Source at 3840x2160 everything maxed out, only without AA on my laptop with a Ryzen 5 2500U and RX 560X.
How can AMD lost the war if they offer such goodies? :D
If maxing out a 2004 game is winning the war, then they've brought their tanks to a medieval battlefield.
Let's hope not, otherwise we can look forward to ever more insane prices from Nvidia, until ordinary people are priced out of PC gaming!
Ordinary people aren't really supposed to be doing PC gaming, at least not the sort that needs high end graphics hardware. It's an enthusiast hobby.

Associate
Video seems to be BS clickbait, as others have said. As far as the GPU market being a war, it seems like now is the time the tide may be turning. It certainly feels like no one on here has recommended anything other than a Vega 56/64 in the midrange for some time, unless someone has a GSync monitor or needs 1080 Ti+ performance.

Soldato
If maxing out a 2004 game is winning the war, then they've brought their tanks to a medieval battlefield.

Ordinary people aren't really supposed to be doing PC gaming, at least not the sort that needs high end graphics hardware. It's an enthusiast hobby.
Remember when "enthusiast" meant getting the best value out of hardware by overclocking the hell out of it?

Now people just use it as a euphemism for "more money than sense."

Associate
I don't think anything is won or lost at this point and i know personally that given the last few years I'd rather chew my own arm off then support Intel or Nvidia so only option for me was a full AMD system. While it's true there are still plenty of people with more money then sense they are a bad segment to rely on and more and more people are starting to wise up to the big two and their anti competitive and anti consumer practices and choosing not to support them.

Man of Honour
Video seems to be BS clickbait, as others have said. As far as the GPU market being a war, it seems like now is the time the tide may be turning. It certainly feels like no one on here has recommended anything other than a Vega 56/64 in the midrange for some time, unless someone has a GSync monitor or needs 1080 Ti+ performance.

Sometimes having the best hardware does not win a war if it is too expensive and difficult to manufacture.

WWII is full of examples of this.

Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II tanks.

Me262 fighter.

V1 and V2.

All used by the losing side.

Associate
Sometimes having the best hardware does not win a war if it is too expensive and difficult to manufacture.

WWII is full of examples of this.

Panther, Tiger I and Tiger II tanks.

Me262 fighter.

V1 and V2.

All used by the losing side.

Good example. There's other colourful war analogies to be had from WW2. The timing of this video is akin to claiming the German's had decisively won WW2 around the time they decided to abandon the attack on Moscow, turning aside and then losing momentum becoming unstuck on the offensive against Stalingrad etc.

EOLing the 1070 Ti / 1080 instead of reducing their price to compete with the Vegas seems like a poor move, instead replacing them with the uninspiring and generally over priced new gen of 6 GB cards. The recent Cryengine ray tracing demo on the Vega 56 could also be seen as an ominous development from NVidia's perspective. Opening up to the FreeSync standard and soon ray tracing on pascal cards could be seen as territorial concessions. Oh, and 7nm NAVI reinforcements will be inbound at some point.

So yes, now is an excellent time to declare the war over and final victory for NVidia :p
/sarcasm

That's enough trying to imaginatively draw parallels with world war 2 from me lol.

Soldato
Not lost but they are behind when it comes to market share, I can foresee £2000 GPU's becoming the norm for Nvidia though, The time of brilliant GPU's like the fairly well priced £699 1080 Ti being long dead and if AMD do decide to concentrate solely on CPU's and the server market as that's where the money is, PC gaming will become a rich mans hobby only, It will become stagnant and PC gaming will slowly die off as the user base will simply not be able to afford the ever increasing prices.

Associate
a lot of people are forgetting we are about to have a 3rd player enter the market here... Intel... they want to take down Nvidia due to Nvidia blitzing them in their own backyard with AI and Deeplearning etc....

I personally think the Turing cards were a cash grab from Nvidia just because they could do it, as they know what is coming, Intel will enter the market, they wont be the cheapest thats for sure but i reckon they will be competitive, and they may well come in a little cheaper than Nvidia just to get traction going.

AMD will carry on feeding the low and mid tier, they do ok here mostly. Let Nvidia and Intel fight it out over halo products, AMD keep churning out Console SOC's, although i wouldnt be against Intel trying to get into some consoles next as well.

The way i see it is Intel and Nvidia will duke it out over the highest end, AMD will feed off the lower ends, but overall i think GPU prices will drop as Nvidia and Intel try to outdo each other, and the odd random surprise from AMD lobbed in.

Back
Top Bottom