I genuinely think our devices listen to us

Caporegime
They're definitely listening. I had an almighty argument with my girlfriend yesterday morning and by bedtime I was getting adverts for a penis reduction kit. Not sure my wife will be pleased though :confused:

Soldato
100% they do. Sat at work couple of weeks ago and my colleague was talking to me about how he had signed up to do a APM course. I have never looked into it, spoke about, thought about it or searched for it ever.

That evening there are ads on my phone suggesting best places to book an APM course through.

Only social media I use is twitter and I only tend to read it as it is mildly amusing. I have Facebook as unfortunately my son's Beevors group do all it's organising through there otherwise that would be gone too.

The whole thing is messed up and don't get me started on people putting blinking Alexa's etc in their house :rolleyes:

Soldato
They definitely do. I was looking up flights and found an article about West jets new Business Class suites and had a conversation with my Mum about it face to face and an hour later she was on instagram on her device, which had never searched anything related and getting West jet adverts... no doubt they're listening at all.

Soldato
They definitely do. I was looking up flights and found an article about West jets new Business Class suites and had a conversation with my Mum about it face to face and an hour later she was on instagram on her device, which had never searched anything related and getting West jet adverts... no doubt they're listening at all.

100% they do. Sat at work couple of weeks ago and my colleague was talking to me about how he had signed up to do a APM course. I have never looked into it, spoke about, thought about it or searched for it ever.

That evening there are ads on my phone suggesting best places to book an APM course through.

Were you on the same WiFi? I believe platforms use IPs to advertise cross-device.

You have to be 100% confident that neither you nor anyone on the same IP have used the subject digitally (email/search etc).

Soldato
They definitely look at images in your messages too.

My girlfriend was at a shopping centre and there was an exhibit type stand where they were showing off Flymo lawnmowers, I think they were robotic ones. Anyway she sent me a picture on Whatsapp, no text or anything and I didn't reply mentioning it either. Next thing I see are adverts for Flymo on Facebook.

Commissario
They definitely look at images in your messages too.

My girlfriend was at a shopping centre and there was an exhibit type stand where they were showing off Flymo lawnmowers, I think they were robotic ones. Anyway she sent me a picture on Whatsapp, no text or anything and I didn't reply mentioning it either. Next thing I see are adverts for Flymo on Facebook.
Not sure how, as whatsapp is encrypted?

Caporegime
They do, on another forum I post on a guy and his GF were talking about getting married, he then gets ads for wedding rings on his social media and ads. Neither of them had searched weddings etc

Caporegime
I randomly sung the Dawson's Creek intro to my missus over the weekend, later that day an article with James Van Der Beek pops up in my Facebook.

I have done zero searches or any internet activity relating to Dawson's Creek.

/tinfoilhat

Caporegime
So Google is looking through your phone's gallery as well?? :confused:

That setting can be switched off in whatsapp too.

I'm assuming it was Facebook doing it, not Google (as the ad was a Facebook ad). We do give Facebook access to our images in order to be able to upload things to Facebook, though I would have though Facebook would need to declare that in their T&Cs ala GDPR.

Soldato
Just go into your App permissions on your phone and turn off the mic option to all those apps you didnt know were allowed to use it.

What's the point? They read your messages, email and pictures apparently :p

Who bought WhatsApp for gazillions again? It seems a practically worthless business to own if you can't get data out of it imo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom