Chest of drawers

Soldato
I am looking for a medium - large side chest of drawers for my bedroom and 2x lamp tables.

Are there any recommended websites that sell good quality drawers without paying a fortune?

M&S and John Lewis look like they have some really nice ones but slightly out my price range unless there is a sale on e.g. this but im looking for light natural colour - https://www.marksandspencer.com/hastings-4-2-chest-soft-white/p/p60183141?prevPage=plp

Roseland furniture do some nice looking stuff for a good price but have read reviews about the drawers sticking due to quality of drawer running. I was looking at something like this -
https://www.roselandfurniture.com/collections/london-oak/products/london-oak-large-chest-of-drawers

Anyway, thanks in advance

From ikea site

Materials

• Support rail, back: Particleboard
  • Drawer bottom: Fibreboard, Acrylic paint
  • Back: Fibreboard
  • Top panel/ Side panel/ Drawer front/ Rail: Particleboard, Oak veneer, Clear acrylic lacquer

Man of Honour
Roseland quality isn't great. We got one of their sideboards and although parts of it were solid wood, it was very apparent that wherever possible they skimped out, even to the point where the magnetic door catches had clearly been reused from another piece. It was sent back rapidly.

That IKEA unit will 100% not be solid wood, I've seen the MALM many times and it is definitely coated particleboard.

I'd get busy on Gumtree and eBay. Failing that, a local independent furniture refurbishing place. Some old pieces can be brought back to life miraculously with a little effort. It may cost a bit more than some of the second hand bargains on Gumtree/eBay but it can be worth it.

Soldato
Malm are ikeas bottom end. Perfectly fine for people on a budget but ikea do actually sell some better quality stuff.

Id personally be looking on gumtree for some solid wood stuff.

Like anything you get what you pay for. But it doesn't mean something cheap can't be functional.

Soldato
We've got some Malm stuff that we bought as a cheap and quick solution around 10 years ago. It has survived a house move and still works just fine, although it does fade in sunlight. It'll definitely be replaced with some more solid though.

Soldato
malm are crap - had 2 broke them, bottoms fell out

made.com or swooneditions.com are now my go to
That’s a two second fix and common to all flat pack furniture, glue the bottoms in and suddenly they will take twice the weight without the bottoms falling out I still can’t believe it’s not in the instructions!

Ikea stuff while not solid wood or the sort of quality that will make an heirloom is incredible for the money and will last well. We are slowly ditching all ikea furniture just because we want something more unique but none of it has failed in a decade of use and the second hand value is suprisingly good!

Soldato
Similar story here, if you just want something to do the job then Malm is hard to beat for the price. Some of ours has been in use for over a decade and has survived 2 house moves, which is the usual killer of cheap flat-pack.

UTT

UTT

Associate
Find out where your local auctions are and keep an eye on what they have coming up.

You can get some real nice solid wood, even period pieces, for knock down prices and the quality is bang on.

Soldato
My Malm are 3.5 years old and are fine. The bottom draw is full of manga. The do have a metal brace down the middle under the draw, I don't know if all the older versions had this.

Soldato
We have Malm, yes it does its job but by god they are ugly. (although the thin drawers don't look too bad in my office)

Looking to get rid of our last 2 bedroom units as soon I get round to gluing them.
Not the bottoms, but the bar that covers the gap between drawers, about 4 broken ones due to the missus ramming too many clothes in a single drawer.

Soldato
MALM are awful, awful quality. Think Argos cheap stuff from the early 2000s (that phase when they had really, REALLY terrible products)

Spend your hard earned money on something better

Back
Top Bottom