Work laptop that will run autocad

Associate
I am currently looking for a new laptop for work as my 8 year old MacBook pro is starting to get very slow and very hot.

I'll mainly be using for autocad in work and would like to switch to Windows.

Can anyone advise on what would be best? Don't want anything too big as I'll be carrying it around in work, so I want to stay away from gaming laptops and anything over 15 inches.

I'll probably look to pay it off monthly as work gave me a raise to get one. My budget is around £1500 but I might stretch a little further if it's a laptop that would last a long time.

Can anyone give me some advise or suggest specific laptops?

Thank you in advance

Associate
OP
It'll mostly just be 2d plans, would do 3d the odd time but not in that much detail. I'm a setting out engineer so it'll not be overly detailed in 3d.

Associate
OP
**Link removed, please only link to products from OcUK**

What do you think of the above laptop?

Last edited by a moderator:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I seen people run Inventor on i5 igpus 5 years ago, autocad doesn't even come close it's requirements. Turn off hardware acceleration (if it's even allowed to be on with an igpu) and you'll be fine. It's 2D lines, hardly taxing.

Associate
OP
Would I get away with something with a Intel HD graphics card? Or does it need to be a dedicated one? Everything I've seen with dedicated gives up a lot of the battery which isn't the best if I'm on a building site.

Soldato
Can anyone advise on what would be best? Don't want anything too big as I'll be carrying it around in work, so I want to stay away from gaming laptops and anything over 15 inches
What's the model/size of your current MacBook Pro?
That would be best starting point for figuring out what kind size is acceptable.

Everything I've seen with dedicated gives up a lot of the battery which isn't the best if I'm on a building site.
If battery life is important you really don't want laptop to use some semi-desktop components.
Like that H-serie CPU.
U is Intel's designation for real laptop CPU serie.

Also especially cheaper desktop replacement laptops likely don't use that power efficient components

Associate
OP
What's the model/size of your current MacBook Pro?
That would be best starting point for figuring out what kind size is acceptable.

My current MacBook is:
13-inch, late 2011
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
16GB 1333 Mix DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb

Soldato
My current MacBook is:
13-inch, late 2011
2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
16GB 1333 Mix DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb
Typical 15,6" laptop is going to be 3-4cm wider and with 2cm more depth.
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp645?locale=en_US
So use some pieces of paper etc for visualizing that size increase to see if that sounds acceptable.

Performance wise it's very easy to find lot more powerfull CPUs at lower power consumption than that 2c/4t max 3GHz Sandy Bridge.

Keeping good portability is why ThinkPad T-serie has long been focused on 14" size.
That would keep size increases small. (~1cm max)
T480 is 336.6 mm x 232.5 mm x 19.95 mm (~1,6kg) and little more expensive "slimmed" T480s 331 mm x 226.8 mm x 18.45 mm. (along with few hundred grams lighter weight)

ThinkPad T480 with 4 core/8 thread Core i7 8550U, 16GB of RAM, 2560x1440 display and quarter TB SSD would fit to that £1500.
Those can be had also with integrated WWAN/4G LTE modem if online connectivity would be important.
And wired connectivity wise they're serious work laptops with excellent connectivity.

Soldato
if you are using Autocad 2016 or later you should get a dedicated GPU.. quadro are clearly expensive but any old GTX will be better than integrated. I have had issues even in 2D with intel gpu , artifacts and very slow panning and zoom

i5 is fine dont need i7

Back
Top Bottom