YES! You can fit a 750w full size captive PSU in a Kolink Satellite!

Soldato
Thought this might be useful for someone cos there isn't a huge amount of info about this case online. I managed to fit my old 750w Corsair into my Kolink Satellite ITX build, thus saving £100 on having to buy an SFF PSU.
  • Yes I know the cabling is a mess
  • Yes I know the airflow isn't the best
  • No, nothing overheats

I have to say that it's a decent case for £30.
  • Fits a full size PSU (but only with an ITX GPU)
  • Pretty easy to work inside
  • Reasonably sturdy
  • Space for 4 hard drives (although how you would cable those I'm not entirely sure)
Specs:
  • Ryzen 1200 @ 3.7ghz
  • 8GB DDR4
  • Sapphire ITX RX570 4GB
  • ASROCK B450 ITX
  • Crucial BX500 240GB SSD
  • Corsair TX 750W PSU

Soldato
OP
In the end I bought an SFX PSU because the machine kept rebooting under load. So lessons learned there. Cheaper ain't always better :D I think the old Corsair had had its day .

Soldato
OP
I gave up and bought an SFX PSU eventually, because I was getting reboots in games.

Problem solved - so it goes to show, just cos something fits, doesn't mean that the problem is solved. Maybe the PSU was dodgy or maybe I had crammed it in so tight it caused issues with the wiring. Not sure.

Anyway, a lesson once more not to skimp on PSU :D

Soldato
I gave up and bought an SFX PSU eventually, because I was getting reboots in games.

Problem solved - so it goes to show, just cos something fits, doesn't mean that the problem is solved.

Funny you should have come to this conclusion. I also recently did something similar.

I have an extra small ITX case with a TFX psu, a LP 750Ti, 2 drives and a slim optical.

I didn't use it heavily but when it eventually DID get used heavily (1080p 60fps streams) the heat build up was so much that it was shutting down.

Chucked out the optical and 1 drive, plus mounting bracket, moved the OS drive out of the way, replaced the smaller than stock cooler with a slim 120mm fan cooler about 5x the size and added an 80mm case fan to get better air to the psu and gpu sandwich. Lo and behold the case doesn't heat up terribly and no more thermal shutdowns.

It seemed like a good idea to cram it all in at the time with a midget cooler but the build was fundamentally bad like that.

Soldato
Any disadvantages over an SFX PSU and a regular PSU? I currently have an old Corsair regular sized PSU in my Corsair 240 air, but thinking of going sfx modular to have a bit more room in the second chamber

Associate

Problem solved - so it goes to show, just cos something fits, doesn't mean that the problem is solved. Maybe the PSU was dodgy or maybe I had crammed it in so tight it caused issues with the wiring. Not sure.

Anyway, a lesson once more not to skimp on PSU :D
does your SFX have modular cables? that aren't as long? and are perhaps flat ribbon rather than braided? The Silverstone case that I have just go recommended that flat ribbon cables would be better than braided (So I bought a particular seasonic gold). And your initial picture seems to show all power cables attached (non-modular?) and long too.

Soldato
OP
I'd be interested in knowing what sfx psu you went for.

Went for the 450W EVGA SuperNOVA 450GM SFX PSU. Got it on a deal - it was a really good price.

does your SFX have modular cables? that aren't as long? and are perhaps flat ribbon rather than braided? The Silverstone case that I have just go recommended that flat ribbon cables would be better than braided (So I bought a particular seasonic gold). And your initial picture seems to show all power cables attached (non-modular?) and long too.

The new PSU has standard round modular cables. The old one was a non-modular PSU with standard cables :)

Associate
Went for the 450W EVGA SuperNOVA 450GM SFX PSU. Got it on a deal - it was a really good price.

The new PSU has standard round modular cables. The old one was a non-modular PSU with standard cables :)

I just bought a seasonic gold focus thinking that had all ribbon cables - but actually the cpu and mobo cables were round bundles. It was only the sata etc cables that were ribbon. Still I managed to stuff all the cables into the 14 Litre Silverstone Raven case.

Soldato
Owning my itx build with an sfx I wouldn’t go back to a full size psu in small case and the coolermaster case I have now has more space and a better layout than the sugo sg13 it replaced which did have a full size psu you.

A sfx while expensive compared to better quality atx units of better power etc does make builds look more tidy and spacious I think even in fixed cables, doesn’t matter how good you are at cable management, they leave more room to play with.

Back
Top Bottom