GT86/GR86/BRZ

Associate
Go on...spill. Seriously considering replacing my DC5 with a turbo or supercharged 86. Hear nothing but positive things about the tuning developments kit. I do love the noise of the Sprintex twin screw supercharger though.

Soldato
The GT86 is actually more comfortable than the STs, I've owned 2 of them. They have rock hard suspension like most hot hatches. The low center of gravity on the gt86 means it doesn't need that to corner flat.

Thanks for letting me know. I've parked the idea for now anyway after all. I went to see a 2012 pre-facelift and the horrible interior with a million buttions put me off straightaway. A post-facelift ST2/3 may be an option if I need te practicailty of 4 doors, but they are more than I am willing to spend atm so will keep in mind for later. If I do come across one nearby though, I will go organise a test drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
The interior hasn't really changed much except for a couple of extra alcantara/suede bits and radio controls on the steering wheel. All the buttons on the dash are the same.

Last edited:
Associate
Go on...spill. Seriously considering replacing my DC5 with a turbo or supercharged 86. Hear nothing but positive things about the tuning developments kit. I do love the noise of the Sprintex twin screw supercharger though.

Sorry been crazy busy. Its fantastic, power delivery is incredibly linear for a turbo as you can see from the dyno. I went for the plumb back option instead of the external wastegate so other than the turbos intake sound and some delicious compressor surge noises its not particularly loud. The whole thing feels amazingly OEM.

It ends up about 224 bhp/tonne so feels a lot faster than you'd imagine 280bhp would...

I also had a whiteline transmission mount insert fitted so although I don't get twin screw supercharger whine I have a little bit of racecar transmission whine audible at low speeds.

basically I'm in love...
turbo_small.jpg

Bay needs a clean...

brakes_small.jpg

wheels need replacing...

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a great conversion. Not sure myself about the gearbox mount. I had one and had to take it off within a week, ended up with a very harsh piercing whine in the cabin at motorway speeds which was aimed straight at the driver. I loved the 'straight cut' noises but this one tone just went straight through me and so it had to go. It's funny, some people don't notice any difference in noise at all, but on other cars it's very, very obvious!

Associate
Sounds brilliant. Are you using it as a daily?

Yes it's currently my only car.

It's a great conversion. Not sure myself about the gearbox mount. I had one and had to take it off within a week, ended up with a very harsh piercing whine in the cabin at motorway speeds which was aimed straight at the driver. I loved the 'straight cut' noises but this one tone just went straight through me and so it had to go. It's funny, some people don't notice any difference in noise at all, but on other cars it's very, very obvious!

It's an insert that goes in a void in the existing mount so nowhere near as harsh as replacing the mount altogether. I cant hear it at all past about 20mph, the GT86 doesn't have the quietest of cabins though...

Soldato
It's an insert that goes in a void in the existing mount so nowhere near as harsh as replacing the mount altogether. I cant hear it at all past about 20mph, the GT86 doesn't have the quietest of cabins though...

Sorry, I meant the void bush. Made the car damn near unusable on the motorway for me.

Soldato
I was thinking about installing the whiteline insert as well. Supposedly makes 2nd gear nicer to use.

I know using a solid mount makes it ridiculously loud.

Associate
I was thinking about installing the whiteline insert as well. Supposedly makes 2nd gear nicer to use.
The MTEC shift springs have made a bigger difference to the shift feel, the insert has just made things a little less loose. Second gear when cold is still much the same sadly.

OcUK Staff
Sorry, I meant the void bush. Made the car damn near unusable on the motorway for me.

Exact same result when I did on Mustang, yes race car style vibrations and harmonica but annoying after five minutes for me so after a week it was pulled out.

Soldato
Yes was in an 86. The hilarious part was once the bush was removed, it carried on making all the noises. I had to take it back and they had to loosen everything off and redo it. Not a mod I would rush to do again for sure!

Soldato
The MTEC shift springs have made a bigger difference to the shift feel, the insert has just made things a little less loose. Second gear when cold is still much the same sadly.

Swap your gearbox oil. Before I changed mine, when cold, it would go into gear quicker, but you could feel that crunch, as if the synchros weren't doing their job properly. I'm now using Miller's transmission oil. Second gear is still a little hard to engage on that first shift when it's stone cold, but it doesn't 'crunch' into gear; now you actually feel the synchros working, so if you go to select second, you might feel some resistance for a second, then it will slot home smoothly. Slower, but feels much better. After that first shift it feels better and then once warmed up, it's absolutely fine.

Lots of owners swear by Motul Gear 300 as well. But I think any decent transmission oil will be better than stock.

Associate
Swap your gearbox oil. Before I changed mine, when cold, it would go into gear quicker, but you could feel that crunch, as if the synchros weren't doing their job properly. I'm now using Miller's transmission oil. Second gear is still a little hard to engage on that first shift when it's stone cold, but it doesn't 'crunch' into gear; now you actually feel the synchros working, so if you go to select second, you might feel some resistance for a second, then it will slot home smoothly. Slower, but feels much better. After that first shift it feels better and then once warmed up, it's absolutely fine.

Lots of owners swear by Motul Gear 300 as well. But I think any decent transmission oil will be better than stock.

Yeah I had heard that from a few people. It's never bothered me as much as it seems to bother others but next time I have it in for some work I will definitely get the gearbox oil changed too.

Soldato
I'm using Millers CRX in mine as well. Also using the same stuff in the LSD. It does make a difference when the box is cold.

With the OEM oil mine was so stiff on freezing mornings you had to skip to 3rd. Like a proper 80s supercar gearbox lol

Associate
OP
Just ordered a whiteline bush after reading up on them. Only £20 new from someone @ PartBox directly (rather than their website, he did me a good deal :p) so can't really go wrong. If I don't like it, it'll be up for sale on the owners club :)

Back
Top Bottom