AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Soldato
What apple told you is tosh they are still within the statutory 2 year period (mandated by the EU) and UK consumer law covers you for up to 6 years.

Call them and speak to a human, don't use the chat. I thought mine stopped working recently and they were going to replace them FoC (as they should). Turns out it was my phone and a restore fixed the problem but they started the replacement process without question and I had to cancel it the following day.

Sweet thanks for the info bud, I appreciate it!

I’ll give them a call and see if I can get them replaced FOC.

Soldato
Never got the chance to try the first ones. Hopefully the newer version has a lot more to offer (although I'm not quite sure what I'm exactly looking for aside from great audio - so far Apple got that covered)
It’ll only be subtle changes from what’s being said now.

Rumours are they’ll be more expensive this time than the V1 were at release :(

Commissario
The price was the reason I haven't tried them in the first place.
I was the same. "How much?" and then I bought them expecting to take them back within a fortnight for a refund.

I didn't.

I use them daily, every single day. No problem with the price for a product I use as much as this. I've had them for 756 days which means they've cost me 21p/day which I'm perfectly happy with.

Ironic really considering that in post #95 of this thread I said that I thought they were too expensive.

Commissario
What? Mine are linked to my iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook and Apple Watch. I connected them originally to my iPhone and that connection is automatically shared between all the devices. If I want to use them on one of the other devices, I just have to select them.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
With the Jabra they are simultaneously connected, so say if watching a movie on the ipad, and the phone rings, you can take the call on the phone no problem, it seamlessly transfers between 2 devices without having to select the devices in the BT menu. I couldnt get it to do that with the airpods.

Commissario
Fair point, I haven’t tried that. Although I’d answer the phone on the iPad as it would be the device in my hand at the time. When I get a call, all my devices ring simultaneously.

Associate
I had a pair but didn’t like the fact that I couldn’t have them paired up to my iPhone and iPad at the same time. I ended up going for some Jabra elite 65t. Not as cool but better headphones imo.

I don’t like that about them either. They are generally paired to my phone, but say if I pick up my iPad and want to watch something on it or stream from iTunes on it, I have to manually connect. My Mac is the same. It’s not too much of a ballache, but I wish they were simultaneously connected.

Man of Honour
Thats my only real gripe with them too, they are sometimes really slow to switch between devices and the 'open near my phone to see battery' thing hardly ever works :(

still wear one or both most of the day and they are super comfortable to have in - will be expensing some when the new ones come out :D

Soldato
My Airpods have lasted 2 years which I am actually really impressed by. They're a bit slow to connect sometimes and sometimes require being put back in the case before they join but other than that, they are great. Use mine everyday for listening to podcasts or taking calls at work and they've never failed me.

I'll certainly be getting the Airpod 2s. I'd like if they came with silicone ends though for noise cancelling. They are the best worst head/earphones I've ever bought.

Soldato
They're out.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/20/18274040/apple-second-gen-airpods-wireless-charging-case-siri-h1

Apple’s week of surprise product launches continues with the announcement of the second-generation AirPods, which will include a wireless charging case and a new H1 chip that the company claims offers improved battery life and “Hey, Siri” support to trigger the virtual assistant without pressing a button.

The new wireless charging case works with standard Qi charging, so it should work with nearly every wireless charger out there. Otherwise, both the second-gen AirPods and the case look virtually identical to the first model, except for a small LED light on the wireless charging case to indicate battery life.

newer iPhones, iPads, Macs, and the HomePod — that allows you to ask Siri things hands-free.

Not for me though, the only Apple equipment I currently own is my MBP.

Soldato
Nice improvement and the H1 chip is interesting - but I'm going to wait on reviews - I doubt the audio quality will be majorly improved? What does this forum think?

Also no black colour option is a shame - I think I'll keep my 1st gen for a while longer now.

Soldato
Was hoping new colours would be a thing as I would like to get them in black to match my other iDevices.

I'm tempted, wireless case would be helpful and the extra battery life is a nice addition. I was hoping for silicone ends but other than that I neither expected nor wanted for much

Soldato
Was hoping new colours would be a thing as I would like to get them in black to match my other iDevices.

I'm tempted, wireless case would be helpful and the extra battery life is a nice addition. I was hoping for silicone ends but other than that I neither expected nor wanted for much

Yeah, I think the fact they look no different & I dislike white ear phones has put me off this gen - my current airpods work just fine - and mine are wrapped in a black carbon wrap so they don't stand out as much, also never found battery life to be a massive issue on mine for my use.

Back
Top Bottom