• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Google Stadia cloud gaming services uses AMD custom chip

Soldato
“We’ve worked closely with AMD for years on this project, leading to the development of a custom GPU with leading-edge features and performance for Google Stadia,” said Dov Zimring, Google Stadia developer platform product lead. “Google and AMD share a commitment to open-source with expertise in Vulkan, open-source Vulkan GPU drivers, and open-source graphics optimization tools. We’re humbled by the spirit of innovation and collaboration that exists throughout the gaming industry and look forward to pioneering the future of graphics technology with game developers, in open-source.”

http://ir.amd.com/news-releases/new...pus-and-developer-tools-tapped-new-generation

Soldato
There are Beta testers on Reddit now talking about their experience. They were given the latest Assasins Creed to play and many of them put in over 100hrs one guy said he used an old laptop on Wifi and happily finished the game with hardly any issues at all.

I would say single player will be fine, multiplayer probably not.

Associate
Interesting article on Eurogamer on the latency https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-google-stream-gdc-2019

Looks good to me. Not on a par at the minute with local hardware but in 5-10 years time when gigabit broadband connections are mainstream? Looks like the future then and unlike previous attempts this is from a company with basically unlimited resources. Would miss messing about with my pc though or the buzz of buying new hardware.

Associate
Just not interested in this. Not a fan of streaming personally
pretty much garauntee thats how gaming is going to go eventually... faster broadband is becoming more common, everything is moving to subscription based models as well, everything is becoming "as a service". All the big players are looking at this...

And financially it makes sense for them to do it, take Netflix for example, its revenue for 2018 was just shy of $16 Billion US, and thats with it not really owning much of its own content, until recently they did not own much of their own product. Now look at say the premier league, they sold the rights for games to sky last year for £3.4 Billion or so? that was for 3 seasons i think? 19/20 to 21/22... Premier League has already sold rights to Amazon, what i can see happening there is Premier League goes the route of Netflix and sells its own product via its own portal.. at £9 a month or something they'll make more globally than they do currently if they went the Netflix model.

What does this have to do with PC gaming? well its just an example of how streaming is becoming the major player, cheap devices plugged into TV's, Broadband, and a monthly sub puts it in reach of 99% of households, your £1500 2080ti and £500 i9 9900k will become a thing of the past before long.... Probably why Intel and Nvidia have been on a cash grab, make hay while the sun shines and all that.

Consoles wont go anywhere while there is still lack of broadband in many places, because of the easy plug and play nature of them. PC Market with its spiralling costs is steadily becoming more and more niche at the higher end, and people at the lower end opting to just buy a console once they elevate from the easily played moba's and fortnite type games.

Give those people the option of a Streambox at home with a cheap sub each month, even the console crowd will trade in for that.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I can see this being great for gaming on the go with your thin and light laptop.

Mobster
Soldato
Soldato
OP
Thats a win for AMD over Intel.

My response was in regards to this news. nVidia's T4 is already in many data centers, I'd be very very surprised if they even competed for this.

AMD made a semi custom part for Google,and Amazon is already using them for their physical infrastructure.LMAO.

Even Microsoft is using them for their own game streaming service too:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft-project-xcloud-game-streaming-service

As usual the GPU section delivers.

:D

Soldato
Interesting article on Eurogamer on the latency https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-hands-on-with-google-stream-gdc-2019

Looks good to me. Not on a par at the minute with local hardware but in 5-10 years time when gigabit broadband connections are mainstream? Looks like the future then and unlike previous attempts this is from a company with basically unlimited resources. Would miss messing about with my pc though or the buzz of buying new hardware.

The connection bandwidth isn't the problem. It takes time for the signal to travel down the cable and through the infrastructure before it even gets to the servers, then it has to come back. That causes a delay on everything.

Last edited:
Mobster
Soldato
AMD made a semi custom part for Google,and Amazon is already using them for their physical infrastructure.LMAO.

Even Microsoft is using them for their own game streaming service too:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/microsoft-project-xcloud-game-streaming-service

As usual the GPU section delivers.

:D

AMD parts are already in their consoles, it would be very very telling had they not used AMD for their game streaming.

If you can look past the length of your own nose for a minute, you may actually read what I said rather than be triggered by something I didnt.

Associate
Blade have been up and running for a while.

You get a Windows 10 64 licence, 8 thread of a Xeon processor, 12GB of 2400MHz RAM, 256GB of memory and your own dedicated GTX 1080 for £26.95 per month

Soldato
Google has the money, infrastructure and expertise to make this succesful. As far as latency's go it only has to be 'good enough' for this service to be successful and take over from Microsoft and Sony, over time those latency's will come down and down to a point when it's no longer going to be an issue.

Soldato
Google has the money, infrastructure and expertise to make this succesful. As far as latency's go it only has to be 'good enough' for this service to be successful and take over from Microsoft and Sony, over time those latency's will come down and down to a point when it's no longer going to be an issue.

Not unless someone invents and then installs a new kind of networking infrastructure, which can communicate faster than light.

Soldato
Not unless someone invents and then installs a new kind of networking infrastructure, which can communicate faster than light.
Were not even close though to reaching the maximum limit imposed by light, sure we are sending electrons down a piece of wire or over a radio signal but the because of the way it's sent and the materials it uses it loses energy along the way which results in much slow speeds then what it can theoretical achieve. To give you some idea of how fast light is if you stood on the equator and fired an electron from a gun in one second that electron would circle the whole earth........seven times. When 5G become widely available I expect that to offer speeds and latency's good enough for people to start ditching their land lines altogether and the generation after that will offer even better performance. Cloud gaming is the future we may as well accept it, I'm saying it will replace that standard desktop PC as that offers something else but for mobile games, consoles etc that could be going the way of the dodo.

Soldato
Were not even close though to reaching the maximum limit imposed by light, sure we are sending electrons down a piece of wire or over a radio signal but the because of the way it's sent and the materials it uses it loses energy along the way which results in much slow speeds then what it can theoretical achieve. To give you some idea of how fast light is if you stood on the equator and fired an electron from a gun in one second that electron would circle the whole earth........seven times. When 5G become widely available I expect that to offer speeds and latency's good enough for people to start ditching their land lines altogether and the generation after that will offer even better performance. Cloud gaming is the future we may as well accept it, I'm saying it will replace that standard desktop PC as that offers something else but for mobile games, consoles etc that could be going the way of the dodo.

Every 1000 miles over fiber optic adds about 7.5ms to latency due to refraction, it's more for copper. Then add on processing time at hubs, routers etc. So that is about 84ms of latency between the UK and US before other overheads.

It doesn't matter how you send it, there will always be a delay and when using a mouse that is noticeable.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Every 1000 miles over fiber optic adds about 7.5ms to latency due to refraction, it's more for copper. Then add on processing time at hubs, routers etc. So that is about 84ms of latency between the UK and US before other overheads.

It doesn't matter how you send it, there will always be a delay and when using a mouse that is noticeable.
So if no multiplayer then no problem. If the processing center is in the UK will make single player games more than playable, which is great as that is all I personally need. If nvidia and amd continue with the silly pricing I can just play the latest stuff using this service. Then can add to my steam library many years down the line once these companies realise that they have gone too far with pricing.

3080 Ti needs to be $699 max. They can release the Titan variant 6-9 months earlier and charge whatever they want for it...

Back
Top Bottom