• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you accept this? i9 9900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I would expect some packing around the cpu to give a little extra protection and the op thought they bought Retail.

OP could have thought he's bought a helicopter. If he's not read what he's bought then that's entirely on him.

I fully expect OP to be able to return the item for a full refund, although with him being stung on delivery fees.

Soldato
I'd be disapointed if a 16Gb flash drive arrived like that to be honest, never mind a £500 processor :eek: You should let OCUK know.

I dont like the idea of an OEM processor anyway though with stories of people sending them back if they dont overclock very well. At least you know that a sealed retail box isn't somebodies unwanted purshase. OCUK probably dont have that issue but I've read about people ording up to 5 CPUs, keeping the best overcocker and sending the rest back using the stores no quibble money back guarantee. Shocking behaviour.

Soldato
That is how I received my 7980XE lol. Not ideal, but if it works it works. I had no issue with mine and doubt there will be any probs here. Given the amount of OEM chips OCUK likely sell and judging by this thread and my own experience in terms of packaging, if it was causing problems for them, they would likely have changed it by now. Still may be worth sending back and upping it to retail if only for extra £15 or so to get extra warranty.

Associate
Similar to others who have already posted my oem 4770k came with foam that cushioned it nicely inside the box.
I wouldn't have been overly happy if it hadn't.

Soldato
The new lad didn't know to put foam top and bottom. Shouldn't be a problem, but not great.

For the price difference always go retail. Can you buy the intel oc exchange option still?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the interaction on the post guys, it may be a fuss over nothing your right and it might work fine, .

I just expected more from a £500 CPU, I will return it and exchange for the retail version.

Thanks again.

Associate
Fwiw I have had tray cpus from other retailers that shipped in similar packaging; a plain box is par for the course with (new) tray cpus. However, the OCUK tray order was the only packing that allowed the CPU to knock about in the box. The others used better fitting antistatic foam.

Soldato
Maybe on oversight from me but I would have thought it would be packaged better even if not retail copy.

If I had known there was 2 I’d of bought the retails it’s only 18quid on a £500 cpu for an extra 2years warranty
If it was a PGA CPU like AMD's Ryzen chips then I would definitely expect better packaging to avoid damaging the pins. For LGA ones though, there isn't a lot that can go wrong anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom