World of Warcraft: Classic

Soldato
OP
The more I think about it, the more I'm changing my mind, I have no 'go to' games to fill large voids of time, I've got a bunch I play regularly but nothing to soak up a rainy day. I WAS into WoW but the latest expansion just destroyed it for me.

If they don't **** up the ability to farm and grind, I think I'd happily get into vanilla again.

Associate
Can some kind person explain to me the hype for this. What’s wrong with going back and starting again with the current WoW? Graphics look the same to me as well so can’t help but feel that nostalgia will be ruined unless there are noticeable improvements?

Don
Can some kind person explain to me the hype for this. What’s wrong with going back and starting again with the current WoW? Graphics look the same to me as well so can’t help but feel that nostalgia will be ruined unless there are noticeable improvements?
The game is completely different now, back then it was much more of a proper mmorpg, now a days not so much.

Associate

The systems they introduced with later expansions are always present if you try to re-play the current WoW. Things like remote battleground queue, cross realm queues, dungeon finder, raid finder and so on while convenient for casual players massively took away any sense of community that used to exist in vanilla WoW. They are effectively remaking it as they "lost" the original code so how it ends up who knows.

Soldato
I don't recall them saying it was lost but not compatible with their current hardware and BNet. Or something like that. That being said I am very tempted to play this. I gave up not even half way through Legion and I didn't even sniff at BfA. It got too much, too many things going on. Whereas playing Classic, things will be simple. Professions actually being needed and what you make is actually useable. If I do sign up to play it I can actually get skills up, reputations maxed without falling behind and going onto the next expansion before I have done so.

Don
They’ve essentially put the patch 1.12 database into the 7.xx(?) game engine and then fixed any anomalies/bugs as they’ve come across them and tweaked it to add back in the likes of the talent system whilst disabling LFG/LFR and all the cross realm stuff.

Soldato
I'll wait and see how heavily they've gated the content before i pay them any money. Vanilla was alright because it was just heavy grinding, plus a once a week raid cap. By the end it was dailies and "you can only have x tokens a week" and weekly cooldowns to force exposure over time. I can't imagine they're going to give up that business model.

Soldato
I'll wait and see how heavily they've gated the content before i pay them any money. Vanilla was alright because it was just heavy grinding, plus a once a week raid cap. By the end it was dailies and "you can only have x tokens a week" and weekly cooldowns to force exposure over time. I can't imagine they're going to give up that business model.

I'm sure it's simply a monthly sub to gain access to Classic, you don't have to buy the game outright and then sub. It's essentially a bolt on for retail, or it'll be included in the retail sub. That was my understanding anyway.

Soldato
I tried to get back into the latest Xpac, but after raiding I realized thats all I was logging on for - it's too diluted for me. I'm looking forward to trying out Classic again, even if it is to remove any rose tinted specs

- GP

Sgarrista
Commissario
I tried to get back into the latest Xpac, but after raiding I realized thats all I was logging on for - it's too diluted for me. I'm looking forward to trying out Classic again, even if it is to remove any rose tinted specs

- GP

Logged in and a friends guild asked me to play one of their DKs for a reset, frost DK. Despite having not raided seriously since Mists / start WoD I sat there smashing 2 buttons and everything else on cooldown and was consistently top 3-4 on damage.

It was somewhat liberating to do that because it showed how utterly dumbed down the game is, and I would not be enjoying it as it currently stands given how much I used to love playing my DK and the resource management aspect of it.

Don
I'm sure it's simply a monthly sub to gain access to Classic, you don't have to buy the game outright and then sub. It's essentially a bolt on for retail, or it'll be included in the retail sub. That was my understanding anyway.
Yeah, from the sounds of things, full retail sub will also allow you to play classic, but there will also be a cheaper classic only sub if that's all your interested in.

From some of the design decisions around BoP loot sharing (ie, you will be able to do it yourself within a few hours of looting an item, rather than having to get a GM to do it) it's clear they want to keep the costs on this down by reducing the amount of intervention from Blizzard themselves.

Associate
Yeah, from the sounds of things, full retail sub will also allow you to play classic, but there will also be a cheaper classic only sub if that's all your interested in.

From some of the design decisions around BoP loot sharing (ie, you will be able to do it yourself within a few hours of looting an item, rather than having to get a GM to do it) it's clear they want to keep the costs on this down by reducing the amount of intervention from Blizzard themselves.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/wow-classic-free-with-subscription/
There will be no up front cost or subscription for classic.
It will simply be playable by anyone with an active wow subscription.
There is no longer a box price for WoW. It is just a monthly sub and everyone gets access to all the content which when its released will include classic.

Associate
Does that mean you no longer need to buy the latest ex pack?
You get access to all current content. You still need to pay for new expansions that are not yet released.
I assume, although this is not gauranteed that as each new expansion is released (or at some time) all the older expansions will be given for free.
So as a new fresh to wow subscriber it would make sense to pay your sub, play the included content and then wait to see if the new expansion becomes available.

Classic is a separate entity and is free to anyone with a sub. I assume this means more free stuff as they move classic through its patches and expansions. I would not expect them to gate this content behind an extra price.

Back
Top Bottom