BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
I've just migrated my connection from BT Infinity to Zen (go-live was this morning)

Previously i was getting a solid 78Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up..
I'm now getting 57Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up

EOXEC82.jpg

I'm not using the ISP router (just changed the PPoE details on my Unifi USG), Is it usual for the the line to re-train when you migrate connections? Or do I need to speak to Zen?

Everyone you change ISP it will cause a DLM reset back to interleaving so you will have to wait a little while for it to optimise the line now.

Associate
provided you are not messing with it and re-syncing, on the 3rd day it should turn the interleaving off.

if your lucky! Switched from GFAST with bt back to sky for fttc (80 MB) - still interleaved after 7 weeks. ( i was on fast path and synced at 80mb prior to the gfast switch).

Associate
I've just migrated my connection from BT Infinity to Zen (go-live was this morning)

Previously i was getting a solid 78Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up..
I'm now getting 57Mb/s down & 17Mb/s up

I'm not using the ISP router (just changed the PPoE details on my Unifi USG), Is it usual for the the line to re-train when you migrate connections? Or do I need to speak to Zen?

Did you sort this issue out?

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah there's no hard and fast rule as to when DLM does its thing, not sure where this 3 days thing has come from....

Associate
Yeah there's no hard and fast rule as to when DLM does its thing, not sure where this 3 days thing has come from....

new lines are provisioned with interleaving turned on. if everythings ok, it swaps to fastpath on the 3rd day. its been that way for a quite a while.

V_R

V_R

Soldato
new lines are provisioned with interleaving turned on. if everythings ok, it swaps to fastpath on the 3rd day. its been that way for a quite a while.

The first part is true, but that's the first I've see or heard about a set time frame for DLM removing it. Got a source?

Edit: Found this. So if this is correct, it highly depends on the quality of the line and the type of cabinet you're connected to. In fact reading that thread it would seem if you're on an ECI cab its more luck if your line moves to fastpath.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4611768-re-interleaved-after-service-change-normal.html

It was announced last February, and gradually became the default.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/openre...

The article is quite poorly written (sorry Mark) as it makes no mention of the fact Huawei lines already did this (more than half the FTTC lines).

I believe interleaving is now the default for all new provisions, all DLM resets and for migrations that result in the DLM being reset. Not all migrations reset the DLM
This is the case for both ECI and Huawei lines.

With Huawei lines with a modem which supports it G.INP is applied on day 2.
If the line is stable DLM can drop the SNRM target to 5dB, 4dB then 3dB on days 4, 6 and 8.
This can occur over months for lines with higher error counts, not at all for others, or somewhere inbetween (some stick on 4dB or 5dB).

With ECI lines DLM will move a stable line to fastpath after 2 days.
It can take longer for noisier lines.
Many lines will stay interleaved.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could artificially cap your line yourself to reduce errors. DLM should then act and make a positive change. Might not last though depending how many errors are generated uncapped

V_R

V_R

Soldato
You could artificially cap your line yourself to reduce errors. DLM should then act and make a positive change. Might not last though depending how many errors are generated uncapped
Indeed, I had to do that at my old house to force remove Interleaving after we had a few days of bad noise that caused the error rates to go through the roof and DLM wouldn't act on its own after it returned back to normal. Thankfully my new place has a very clean line! :)

Soldato
Indeed, I had to do that at my old house to force remove Interleaving after we had a few days of bad noise that caused the error rates to go through the roof and DLM wouldn't act on its own after it returned back to normal. Thankfully my new place has a very clean line! :)

It done the trick for me for removing reTX high from the line also. I think I've got a fairly decent line too.
Sync just shy of 72Mbps on a 500m line and only about 1ES a day.

Soldato
Would I be correct in saying that everything here is as maximised as possible for 80/20 FTTC?

---------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A/B/C) -----------
Running Mode : 17A State : SHOWTIME
DS Actual Rate : 79995000 bps US Actual Rate : 20000000 bps
DS Attainable Rate : 84292152 bps US Attainable Rate : 28549120 bps
DS Path Mode : Fast US Path Mode : Fast
DS Interleave Depth : 1 US Interleave Depth : 1
NE Current Attenuation : 8 dB Cur SNR Margin : 7 dB
DS actual PSD : -3.-9 dB US actual PSD : 13. 2 dB
NE CRC Count : 13 FE CRC Count : 6939
NE ES Count : 12 FE ES Count : 5280
Xdsl Reset Times : 0 Xdsl Link Times : 1
ITU Version[0] : fe004452 ITU Version[1] : 41590000
VDSL Firmware Version : 05-07-06-0D-01-07 [with Vectoring support]
Power Management Mode : DSL_G997_PMS_L0
Test Mode : DISABLE
-------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
Far Current Attenuation : 9 dB Far SNR Margin : 10 dB
CO ITU Version[0] : b5004946 CO ITU Version[1] : 544ed086
DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN >

Waiting on G.Fast install date!

Soldato
Thanks, I thought as much, some times speed test is lower and ping higher than I would like.

The thing with any off network speed test is it relies on peering, which can vary massively from one location to another and the individual utilisation in different servers. Using different servers local to you can yield significantly different results.

Soldato
Hi there it's showing 1000mb and 220mbps upload availble for me on FTTP, however no provider can supply this, including bt :| - I'm only able to get 300 down and 50 up. Anyone know when and if this will be available ?

Back
Top Bottom