• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you accept this? i9 9900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Arent OEM stuff strictly speaking only supposed to be used for system builds and not sold as individual items to consumers? Hence the lack of packaging etc.

I guess the workaround to it is that anyone buying one can just say they buying to build a system they going to sell.

Sort of like how OEM windows is supposed to be only distributed as preinstalled on a system.

Caporegime
Thanks for the interaction on the post guys, it may be a fuss over nothing your right and it might work fine, .

I just expected more from a £500 CPU, I will return it and exchange for the retail version.

Thanks again.

Get yourself a Ryzen instead :p and pocket the change....Seen and worn the T shirt....:p

OcUK Staff
We ship 10,000's of OEM CPU's in these small white boxes and have done so for nearly 20 years it has never being a problem.

The problem is here, the OP made a mistake, but its somehow the fault of OcUK.

OcUK will happily exchange the CPU for a retail unit should the OP wish for the price difference displayed in the webshop which is normally £20-£30 between OEM and Retail.

Since pins were removed the white boxes are more than enough to protect CPU, we've had zero damaged in transit and zero failures.

Soldato
I'd be disapointed if a 16Gb flash drive arrived like that to be honest, never mind a £500 processor :eek: You should let OCUK know.

I dont like the idea of an OEM processor anyway though with stories of people sending them back if they dont overclock very well. At least you know that a sealed retail box isn't somebodies unwanted purshase. OCUK probably dont have that issue but I've read about people ording up to 5 CPUs, keeping the best overcocker and sending the rest back using the stores no quibble money back guarantee. Shocking behaviour.

Unfortunately that's the flip side of selling on OEM processors. They could even be pre-binned ones that weren't up to the task of overclocking high.

Frankly with the price difference (currently £19 on OCUK), i'm amazed that anyone would even consider an OEM chip. Considering the downsides of OEM, it'd need to be at least a 1/3rd cheaper before i'd consider buying one.

Associate
We ship 10,000's of OEM CPU's in these small white boxes and have done so for nearly 20 years it has never being a problem.

The problem is here, the OP made a mistake, but its somehow the fault of OcUK.

OcUK will happily exchange the CPU for a retail unit should the OP wish for the price difference displayed in the webshop which is normally £20-£30 between OEM and Retail.

Since pins were removed the white boxes are more than enough to protect CPU, we've had zero damaged in transit and zero failures.
It is obviously a user error with the order, something they have admitted to so I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

That being said, I still think you should be filling every box with Haribo. Forget the bags of air and foam, just jam my parcels with Haribo for protection. :o

OcUK Staff
Unfortunately that's the flip side of selling on OEM processors. They could even be pre-binned ones that weren't up to the task of overclocking high.

Frankly with the price difference (currently £19 on OCUK), i'm amazed that anyone would even consider an OEM chip. Considering the downsides of OEM, it'd need to be at least a 1/3rd cheaper before i'd consider buying one.

I agree but you would be surprised, OEM still outsells retail, even in our B2C channel.

Associate
OP
As I outlined on numerous occasions now, yes I made a mistake and had someone order the incorrect cpu.

That is entirely on me.

However I do still think the packaging to me looked like it should have been better on a £500 cpu, hence the question posted in forum.

You have more experience than me so if your happy with packaging then fair enough, I just expected it would better that’s all.

No harm done.

Don
'That's how it's always been so it must be fine'. And no offence Jokester but you're hardly an impartial observer.

Two things kill electronics - vibration and heat.
I would be a millionaire if I got a pound every time I said this, but I don’t work for the shop.

CPUs are solid state electronics, they don’t have bits that can fail due to vibration.

Associate
Ah yes, the lump of metal and fibreglass will obviously be damaged moving about inside a soft cardboard box with foam in it. /s

Really, unless you take at an Intel CPU with a hammer, there's nothing to damage. You could probably drive a road roller over that chip in it's packaging, and the chip would still work perfectly fine.

As Gibbo says, thats how OEM chips are supplied by pretty much everyone. Including distributors, unless you're buying a tray of chips, you'll get them in little boxes like that. I remember getting AMD K5 chips in the same little boxes back when I started building PCs in a mom'n'pop PC shop. That would be nearly 23 years ago.

Caporegime
You appear to have missed the bit where it says there wasn't any foam in it.

yep foam in the box...I think what the "issue" is that the customer thought spending £500 on an OEM chip would automatically mean it was fragile and precious....Its a chip...people delid them Debauer sands them down slices them with a blade :p

He even washes his motherboards in the dishwasher

The cost of the chip has nothing to do with the flamboyance of the packaging...In fact I hate the retail 9900k packaging with that stupid silky bag. then all that plastic sphere nonsense polluting out planet! :mad:

Soldato
yep foam in the box...I think what the "issue" is that the customer thought spending £500 on an OEM chip would automatically mean it was fragile and precious....Its a chip...people delid them Debauer sands them down slices them with a blade :p

He even washes his motherboards in the dishwasher

The cost of the chip has nothing to do with the flamboyance of the packaging...In fact I hate the retail 9900k packaging with that stupid silky bag. then all that plastic sphere nonsense polluting out planet! :mad:

Yeah...all chips should be boxed like an oem tbh. Its isnt a massive industry (unit sold vs other stuff) when looking at the packaging...but still wasteful.

Caporegime
Yeah...all chips should be boxed like an oem tbh. Its isnt a massive industry (unit sold vs other stuff) when looking at the packaging...but still wasteful.

It’s a disgrace...

I’ll quite happily receive a sealed intel factory chip in a plain box with foam in if it came with 3 year warranty...I don’t keeps chips long and the warranty is part of the pull when shifting it on in MM

I can understand a Ryzen packaging cause it comes with a cooler...but intels is disgusting.

Soldato
I presume you don't agree that they are pre-binned and not up to the job though right? Just that they seem so popular when the cost difference is so small?

"Not up to the job" isn't quite a correct statement. These would have been tested by Intel themselves before leaving the factory to ensure they reach the advertised clock speed. They might not push much further as that's just a gamble.

Yet another person that keeps banging on about this rubbish.

Is there another reason OEM chips exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom