Chrome Youtube 2160p60 HDR stutter / lag

Associate
Hi guys,

Just recently got a new TV (Sony xe9005) and have been playing around with HDR content.
Everything has been great - Ps4 pro, pc games in 4k60 hdr, iplayer, 4k HDR movies.

However, when using my PC connected via a high speed hdmi cable (which works fine with games and movies at 4k hdr) Chrome YouTube in 4k60 HDR stutters really badly and runs at a low frame rate between stutters. 1440p is fine and 4k HDR at 24/30 fps is fine too.
I have a good system, ryzen 5 1600, 16gb 3200mhz ram and a GTX 1080 so I think it should be able to handle it fine. Drivers are all up to date, as is Windows.
Anyone else experienced this issue? Or can think of a potential fix?

Thanks, Steve.

Soldato
download the utube material and try playing locally with vlc/mpc-hc, which may isolate if the browser, or BB/wireless is creating the problem,
does it play on the tv's app ?

Associate
OP
download the utube material and try playing locally with vlc/mpc-hc, which may isolate if the browser, or BB/wireless is creating the problem,
does it play on the tv's app ?

The TV YouTube app doesn't support hdr, so can't use that as a comparison unfortunately. 4k60 is fine in the TV app though.

I've downloaded some LG hdr test videos which I've played in vlc. Codec info says it's 2160p at 60fps and the TV is displaying a hdr logo, so I think it's working, it certainly looks hdr! I imagine that'll be as good as downloading the YouTube vids won't it?

It's not a connection speed issue because the videos are lagging behind the buffer progress bar in YouTube.

Soldato
Is it windows 10 creator build or newer??

Chrome in windows older than that will not use GPU acceleration for 4k videos, not sure if your cpu is good enough for full screen 4k60 without gpu acceleration, its a good cpu, but I have only been able to test up to 1440p on youtube as I dont have a 4k screen, and on my 8600k 4.8ghz 1440p videos use about 35% cpu.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm on Windows build 1803.

Gpu acceleration is flagged as on in the chrome settings. If I remember correctly the cpu usage during the 4k60 hdr youtube vids was approx 50% and Gpu was very low at about 15%.

Soldato
Something doesnt seem right 50% cpu seems high if its GPU accelerated.

Play a video whilst gpuz is running and check if video decode load is higher than 0%, if its at 0% then gpu acceleration is not working.

Associate
OP
Something doesnt seem right 50% cpu seems high if its GPU accelerated.

Play a video whilst gpuz is running and check if video decode load is higher than 0%, if its at 0% then gpu acceleration is not working.

Is that called video engine load? Cause that stays at 0. Bus interface load rises slightly to about 8%.

This is my chrome gpu flags:

• Canvas: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
  • Compositing: Hardware accelerated
  • Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
  • Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Out-of-process Rasterization: Disabled
  • Hardware Protected Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
  • Skia Deferred Display List: Disabled
  • Skia Renderer: Disabled
  • Surface Synchronization: Enabled
  • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Viz Service Display Compositor: Disabled
  • WebGL: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

Last edited:
Associate
OP
maybe - you may find some vp9l2 codec examples here https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples, that could be more challenging for the gpu...
i think you can open them in chrome too (with hdr examples you already have too), as well as playing with vlc/mpc
The VP9 vid world in HDR works flawlessly in vlc. I don't know how to open it in chrome. However, looks like it must be hardware acceleration issues in chrome.

Soldato
Is that called video engine load? Cause that stays at 0. Bus interface load rises slightly to about 8%.

This is my chrome gpu flags:

• Canvas: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
  • Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
  • Compositing: Hardware accelerated
  • Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
  • Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
  • Out-of-process Rasterization: Disabled
  • Hardware Protected Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Rasterization: Hardware accelerated
  • Skia Deferred Display List: Disabled
  • Skia Renderer: Disabled
  • Surface Synchronization: Enabled
  • Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
  • Viz Service Display Compositor: Disabled
  • WebGL: Hardware accelerated
  • WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

yep video engine load, so the gpu offloading is not working. If you scroll down the chrome gpu screen is there any notes about
  • disable_accelerated_vpx_decode
Should be under driver bug workarounds if it is there.

From what I understand but never checked, microsoft EDGE will use h264 for 4k youtube videos. Which means it will use far less cpu.

Associate
OP
yep video engine load, so the gpu offloading is not working. If you scroll down the chrome gpu screen is there any notes about
  • disable_accelerated_vpx_decode
Should be under driver bug workarounds if it is there.

From what I understand but never checked, microsoft EDGE will use h264 for 4k youtube videos. Which means it will use far less cpu.
No, there's no mention of that in the chrome Gpu info.

Edge won't play hdr videos. Or at least I can't get them to work as they do in YouTube.

I'm not sure how to resolve this issue. Been playing around in chrome flags trying to enable some of the things which are reported as disabled in the gpu page, but nothing has helped.

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
If i play a YouTube video at 4k60 the gpu assists with the processing and the 'video engine load' in gpu-z goes up. As soon as I change it to HDR (4k60), the video engine load no longer goes up and the video will drop frames and lag. So it must be the hdr which is causing the issue in chrome Youtube. Any thoughts?

Soldato
see here too, which will confirm how it is played, does for me, .... then get a standalone vp9 to test ... maybe run dxva checker too - per link

Open chrome://media-internals/ while playing a YouTube video. Then click the button that's captioned with 'blob' and the video URL. In the table below, look for the value of video_decoder. If it says GpuVideoDecoder, Chrome is using the GPU. If it says anything else, for example FFMpegDecoder, it's using software decoding. Also, at the very bottom of the page, it will sometimes log some error messages regarding GPU video decoding

Associate
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
The reason I asked him to check for that incompatibility flag is that accelerated video decode been enabled in chrome does not necessarily mean its for all codecs.

e.g. I am on windows 8, for me its enabled, but I only have it on x264 videos, not VPx, I have the note further down saying its disabled for VPx and I know that the reason is the lazy chrome dev's disabled it on older windows because they didnt want to work around some minor issues they had.

If you viewing on chrome it will say there is no h264, as youtube disable those codecs on chrome completely now for resolutions higher than 1080p, even if you try to force h264.

Associate
OP
I think it's the youtube VP9 10bit content which my gtx 1080 can't decode, so it's going into software mode and my ryzen 5 is struggling to process a 4k60 video.

Got to say I'm surprised that a 1080 can't do vp9 10bit. Its such a powerful card, I just assumed it would be able to do it.

Associate
I think it's the youtube VP9 10bit content which my gtx 1080 can't decode, so it's going into software mode and my ryzen 5 is struggling to process a 4k60 video.

Got to say I'm surprised that a 1080 can't do vp9 10bit. Its such a powerful card, I just assumed it would be able to do it.

True , I also have 1080GTX , but I have TR4 1950x , it shouldn't even have issues playing the video, cpu usage is barely 15% , so I can't understand why it is still lagging ... any idea ?

Back
Top Bottom