*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Depends on your Bqq, for a Kamado its very simple, load it up set the vents and go to sleep and works every time, Some folk have the Trager types which are also fire and forget :) Otherwise your into laying the coals in patterns.

Soldato
Want to get a new BBQ for the Summer, currently have a gas one but, want to get a Weber but unsure if I should stick to gas or not.

Looking at the Weber Genesis range for gas or if I went charcoal the Master Touch.

The Master Touch is a lot cheaper but how easy is it to use for when you have a small party of guests over, need to know things like how easy is it to light and how easy is it to maintain the heat for a long period.

Thanks

Soldato
The MasterTouch is great! I light mine with a chimney full of charcoal on a camping stove, relatively fast and hassle free to get going. Clean up is straight forward too with the built in ash sweeper. It's a very versatile piece of kit, you can use it for grilling, direct, indirect and low n slow smoking. I've fired mine up fairly often and regularly use it for meals in the evening, even in winter.

Soldato
Soldato
Any reason for the Pit Viper over the Fireboard fan? Trying to spec it up at the moment and see where is cheapest to order from but EU stockists of the Pit Viper are non existent and BBQ Guru don't seem to ship to UK. Angus and Oink are selling the Fireboard kit and all in it works out at £338.

In my case, the Pit Viper fan is the only one that fits the Weber Summit Charcoal.

Soldato
The MasterTouch is great! I light mine with a chimney full of charcoal on a camping stove, relatively fast and hassle free to get going. Clean up is straight forward too with the built in ash sweeper. It's a very versatile piece of kit, you can use it for grilling, direct, indirect and low n slow smoking. I've fired mine up fairly often and regularly use it for meals in the evening, even in winter.

Thanks, I just remembered I posted the same question a while back after doing a search, but hadn't considered the genesis gas bbq.

I think I would prefer the master touch as its a lot cheaper as well.

Soldato
So who's got some good recipes and time recommendations? Christening the bbq this evening with just basic Chicken legs and ribs in prep for a Bbq I'm having tomorrow afternoon so long as weather stays nice.

Ill be doing your normal burgers and sausages etc but fancy some nice Skewers and some pork belly as well.

Also what temps and times would you be cooking things at? First time actually using a proper Bbq and not a disposable one and I'm keen to get into it

Associate
Tried out my smoker at the weekend, and cooked some meaty ribs in it for a total of 6 hours, using the minion method, 3 hours smoking, 2 hours wrapped in foil in the smoker and final hour unwrapped.
I used lumpwood charcoal and hickory as my smoking wood.
The ribs weighed just over 2kg, they were huge!
Covered them in a rub from a recipe I followed, then covered in bbq sauce after they had finished smoking.
Were extremely moist, and fall off the bone!

Soldato
I've never seen the point of the Pit Viper thing, especially in a kamado. Not once have I thought that I need something to help control the temperature. Getting it all set right is all part of the fun IMO and it's hardly difficult, even on overnight cooks. Using a Pit Viper is cheating :D

That FireBoard thing does look rather epic though. I'll be adding that to my list.

Associate
FireBoard and controller is ace. I can ramp up the temperature from the pub if needed. My BBQ holds a temp fine it’s just this takes any worry out of it. I don’t use it with the fan all the time but if I’m off out I can easily check on dinner. I got the pit viper due to fitting on the BBQ and thewanted recommendation

Soldato
I've never seen the point of the Pit Viper thing, especially in a kamado. Not once have I thought that I need something to help control the temperature. Getting it all set right is all part of the fun IMO and it's hardly difficult, even on overnight cooks. Using a Pit Viper is cheating :D

That FireBoard thing does look rather epic though. I'll be adding that to my list.

Touch wood, I've never had a problem on my WSM over night, but it would be nice to have the option to leave meat going while I'm at work etc without having to worry about it. I'd be able to BBQ more as I'm out a lot of the time at the weekends and currently have to set aside a day to do it.

Just seen BBQ Land have the Pit Viper as UK stock.. £110 + delivery though for the fan and adapter!

Last edited:
Soldato
Based on this thread I've just ordered a Weber Master Touch. Heads up that Go Outdoors stock them, and they will beat any other price by 10%, Riverside Garden Centre currently have them at £199, so that makes it £180 if my maths is right (will confirm when I pick it up later). Seems a decent price! :)

Edit: I was indeed able to get the weber master touch BBQ and cover for £201 by using price match at go outdoors :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom