Notch vs teardrop vs punch hole, what is the best?

I absolutely hate the hole punch camera trend, I can't be the only one?, it's a lot more intrusive, you can't really utilize the screens few mm's space between the punch out and the frame, you just end up with this floating blob in the top left corner of your videos/games.

Imo teardrop is the best solution so far, it takes up a lot less space than a dual camera punch out, and don't even get me started on pop cameras, they are laughable.

Personally I wouldn't even care if the front camera was missing tbh, I don't think i've ever even used one but vanity is boss.

What is your preferred solution and why?

Would you purchase a phone without a front facing camera?

Associate
You are not the only one, i hate it too. I was torn between the Note 9 and Galaxy S10 , then i saw the hole punch camera. No thanks. I'd rather just have a wider bezel and a physical home button.

Yes i would purchase a phone with no front camera, i rarely use mine.

Soldato
That's why the upcoming OnePlus 7 with rumoured pop up camera looks good to me :D
Notch/hole punch definitely not ideal however I think I'd rather have that than either the slide or pop up camera options. I would rather stay away from moving parts etc.
I'm typing this on my newly acquired S10e and coming from OnePlus 6T so I'm weighing those two up. Overall I think I prefer the hole punch over the teardrop mainly because at least the top of the screen is square/flat. I think the 'ears' or whatever you want to call them look a bit daft.

Associate
If there was a flagship phone without a front camera and a full screen, I'd snap their hands off.

Currently sticking with my S8 as the whole notch / holepunch software doesn't seem to be all there yet. Also the fact that new phones don't really offer much new any more.

Soldato
I have the OnePlus 6 which has the big notch and honestly it doesn't bother me at all. A teardrop notch would be good but I wouldn't upgrade my phone just for that.

Associate
Teardrop for me i think is ideal although not fussed by the forehead on my S8+ anyway.

I think the ideal will come next year or so when they have the camera working through the display so the issue goes away then

Soldato
If there was a flagship phone without a front camera and a full screen, I'd snap their hands off.

Currently sticking with my S8 as the whole notch / holepunch software doesn't seem to be all there yet. Also the fact that new phones don't really offer much new any more.

ok you would snap up a phone without a front camera...so get the Oneplus 7 and NEVER use the front camera..same.

Disclaimer. :D
(I'm going to get it as long as the battery isn't affected too much in size as reduced space)

Soldato
There isn’t a best... they are all compromises to a problem that doesn’t exist which has been dreampt up by phone manufacturers to keep us shelling out money. Grr.

Back
Top Bottom