Can I build a gaming PC for £500, or should I buy secondhand?

Associate
OP
I'm the wrong person for that, I have limited edition ducky shine keyboards In Their boxes at £200 haha.

Think there's some bundle deals

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/peripherals/peripheral-bundles/keyboard-and-mouse-bundles

Thanks, chose my mouse/keyboard.

Only the monitor left now. I have seen an AOC for £70, would that do for set up? I guess I am looking for 1080HD, are there any other features I need on a budget screen?

This may sound silly but I see some people have two screens? Do all games support this?

Soldato
Thanks, chose my mouse/keyboard.

Only the monitor left now. I have seen an AOC for £70, would that do for set up? I guess I am looking for 1080HD, are there any other features I need on a budget screen?

This may sound silly but I see some people have two screens? Do all games support this?

Dual screens great for multi tasking or streaming etc or very expensive set ups.

Cards Freesync enabled. Also a powerful GPU so can't really waste that power on standard 1080p 60hz screen .

You'll be looking for 1080p 75hz min... Ideally 144hz 1080p monitor .

1440p wise, standard 60hz will do as your making the GPU work harder and CPU won't be a weak point .

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £609.02 (includes shipping: £25.14)

Shop around for monitors :)

If you do get 1080p 60-75hz, then upscale in-game to 1440p !!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well i am reliably informed that the first 4 digits of the SN on Gigabyte Products are their manufacturer date. So mine is 1801 so it was build week 1 of 2018. So it should have 19 months warranty with Gigabyte left :) Looks like mine has had all its memory replaced and significant testing.

Soldato
Unfortunately it looks as if my card is faulty.. :( Just speaking to Gigabyte to see if I will get a replacement or if sending back to OCUK will be the best course of action.

Soldato
Yeah, I have tried it in my Threadripper testbed as well as my Intel testbed. Similar issues in both cases. Lockups/Freezes/BSOD randomly during GPU load/stress tests with Heaven and Furmark, tried a couple of game demos and same issues. Upon reboot I get a blank screen and an error relating to PCIe device errors and no display until the system is powered off and back on. Random PCIe device errors on startup as well. No issues in those systems with other cards and no other PCIe devices installed. I am sure I will get it sorted.. :)

Soldato
Yeah, I have tried it in my Threadripper testbed as well as my Intel testbed. Similar issues in both cases. Lockups/Freezes/BSOD randomly during GPU load/stress tests with Heaven and Furmark, tried a couple of game demos and same issues. Upon reboot I get a blank screen and an error relating to PCIe device errors and no display until the system is powered off and back on. Random PCIe device errors on startup as well. No issues in those systems with other cards and no other PCIe devices installed. I am sure I will get it sorted.. :)

hopefully you can and at a steal of £200 price tag haha

Back
Top Bottom