Spec a new build - £900 - 1000

Associate
Hi everyone,

Happy to hop on these boards. I decided that it is about the right time to get back to gaming after quite a stint away.

I feel very rusty in terms of current trends and have little idea about what I should put in a system (box only) of around £900 - 1000.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

1. I have the peripherals, but your suggestions on a monitor for 1080p gaming are welcome

2. Looking for a casual gaming setup, as well as something that would allow me to play poker sessions comfortably, while running numerous programs and utilities to support it

3. Something future proof, as I am not planning on massive upgrades for the next few years.

4. I have an offer to buy this kind of setup locally (so saving on shipping to Ireland):

Motherboard : GIGABYTE GA-AX370M-DS3H (max memory 64GB)

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight Core Processor, 16 of threads, 8 x 3.7GHz BASE, 8 x 4.3GHz TURBO with Wraith Prism with RGB LED CPU Cooler

Memory : 16GB DDR4 Ballistix Sport 2400MHz

Storage : SSD 256GB LITEON for OS + HDD 2TB WD for DATA

Graphics : ASUS DUAL Series GeForce GTX 1070 8GB, NVIDIA ANSEL, NVIDIA GameWorks, VR-Friendly HDMI Ports,GPU Tweak II with Xsplit Gamecaster, NVIDIA G-SYNC ready, AUTO-EXTREME technology, DirectX12

PSU : 550W Game Max GP550 80+ Bronze

Is it possible to spec. something better for the buck here for my budget?

Appreciate your help guys!

Associate
OP
I could try building it myself, haven't built a system in like 10 years but guess things haven't changed much.

For the sakes of it I would like a built one so that I don't burn the house down.

Using mainly Holdem Manager 2 / Poker Tracker 4 while playing, as well as Equilab / ICMizer while studying.

During sessions of higher volumes I feel that my current PC is chocking a little bit (Alienware R17 from 2013) so I feel its a good time for an upgrade + can get back to playing some games.

Associate
OP
Thank you @4K8KW10 for looking into this.

What HDD should I consider to go with the SSD? I have quite a base of hands in collection.

Also, will 550W be enough for a Vega 56? Heard it likes to eat up a little bit of W.

I will appreciate a similar NVidia + Intel build just to compare, if possible. Thanks!

Permabanned
Thank you @4K8KW10 for looking into this.

What HDD should I consider to go with the SSD? I have quite a base of hands in collection.

Also, will 550W be enough for a Vega 56? Heard it likes to eat up a little bit of W.

I will appreciate a similar NVidia + Intel build just to compare, if possible. Thanks!

You are welcome.
Well, you mentioned a 2TB WD HDD - it's fine.
Regarding the Pulse Vega 56 - its website says 185W power consumption, so this Platinum-rated 550W PSU will be fine. You could also consider undervolting the card which will bring better conditions for the card to serve you well.

Soldato

For the budget the equivalent would be an i7-8700 with a B360 motherboard. And GTX 1660 or 1660Ti.

You should avoid the Gamemax 550W PSU. 450W output on +12v rail says it's rubbish. If it wasn't for that you'd have a pretty good deal on your hands. Can they change it for a better model? In fact, if it's closer to £900 than £1000, could just buy it and replace the PSU.

Also, now that SSD prices are better than ever, if possible go with one large 1TB SSD. Large drive you can keep using for years and years. Small drives tend to end up useless and replaced.

Man of Honour
from previous experience with poker specs, i seem to recall that it is very cpu bound; and not much on the gpu. is this still the case?
if it is, how desperate are you to need to upgrade right this moment?
also, if you do buy a new build now, how often/likely are you to upgrade it?

Soldato
SSD is key, NVMe for large databases !!!!

16GB, for PT4 would require SQL editing I believe but worth it

GPU... Can use onboard.. i7 8700 and B360 with 16GB of ram.. job done

There's a few poker thread specs on here... But takes time searching for it

Associate
OP
from previous experience with poker specs, i seem to recall that it is very cpu bound; and not much on the gpu. is this still the case?
if it is, how desperate are you to need to upgrade right this moment?
also, if you do buy a new build now, how often/likely are you to upgrade it?

Hey, thanks for the input. Not really desperate atm, but would like to have the system before summer.
I would upgrade it on a need basis, but I am usually not that frequent with putting new parts in the system.

Back
Top Bottom