Assault rifles and military-style semi-automatics have been banned in New Zealand

Soldato
Well i must admit i'm not surprised. Personally i would have preferred much tighter restrictions as to how to obtain firearms rather than a blanket ban of what the yanks would call "black rifles". After all this doesn't help the case of a similar nutter going ham with a lever action.

However the important thing i feel we need to note here is that regardless of wether we agree or not with this legislation they did at least do something

Soldato
In my 20+ years shooting 5.56mm (.223 Remington) in the military I've heard some whoppers about the terminal performance of the round but what a load of rubbish - it's not a .50cal :D

Don’t try firing 5.56 NATO rounds through a rifle chambered for .223 Remington. It’s the opposite of 7.62 NATO and .308 Winchester.

Soldato
He said almost all. I'd hazard semi autos substantially outnumber the archaic revolver.

In terms of sales this century, quite possibly. In terms of the of the total number of handguns held legally by civilians globally, it’s probably closer to a 50:50 split.

Reliable, easy to operate and shoot semi-automatic pistols that weren’t WW2 surplus didnt really exist until a chap called Gaston Glock purchased a polymer moulding machine in 1980.

Soldato
As an aside, when my old man was Old Bill, his favourite pistol was a Smith & Wesson snubnose revolver.

Edit: As a kid I can remember grilling him over his "favourite guns", as you do, and I remember giving him a hard time over his choice. I knew everything then of course. :o

Last edited:
Caporegime
In terms of sales this century, quite possibly. In terms of the of the total number of handguns held legally by civilians globally, it’s probably closer to a 50:50 split.

Reliable, easy to operate and shoot semi-automatic pistols that weren’t WW2 surplus didnt really exist until a chap called Gaston Glock purchased a polymer moulding machine in 1980.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-produced_firearms

This list potentially places the glock alone over all revolvers combined.

Seemingly followed very closely by the makerov.

Soldato
Well I give this thread another 5 minutes, you lot moan about the standard of GD quality and just ruin threads all by yourselves.....

Realistically, with the fulltime GD hardcorists, what did you expect?

It's always the same folk. Seems easy enough to sort out.

Caporegime
I'm not saying don't have firearm restrictions or gun regulations. It just shouldn't be based on "well no one needs a firearm so lets get rid of all firearms".

I don't think it is, there are rather limited use cases for civilian ownership of semi-auto rifles, they're not banning all firearms. I do think they would have been better off considering something like this earlier such as when Australia had a massacre and then banned the same. It was, sadly, only a matter of time before NZ had one and then of course given they've had one they implement a ban.

People are right to point out it is a knee jerk reaction, it absolutely is, that doesn't mean it is the wrong thing to do though - if anything it is something they should have proactively done as a preventative measure and not waited until the event happened once before deciding to act.

Associate
Ban guns, auto's, semi's, shotties, pellet guns it doesn't matter. Ban knives, hunting knives, bowies, lock knives, screwdrivers etc.

If bad people want to maim, kill and worse all they need is chapati flour and hair bleach as happened on 7/7/2005. 52 people died from 18 different nationalities that day :mad:

Soldato
Utter rubbish. Show me a semi-automatic revolver.

That literally exists- the webley fosberry being the most well known but there others including a relatively recent one from mateba.

However their lack of popularity can be considered the same as that of the trike- none of the advantages unique to a car or motorbike and all of the disadvantages of both. Needless to say in that paradigm the car is the conventional semi automatic handgun.

Associate
That literally exists- the webley fosberry being the most well known but there others including a relatively recent one from mateba.

However their lack of popularity can be considered the same as that of the trike- none of the advantages unique to a car or motorbike and all of the disadvantages of both. Needless to say in that paradigm the car is the conventional semi automatic handgun.

Please forgive me, i don't mean to come across as aloof but i have to ask..are you dialling in from 1918?

Caporegime
Pedantic

He clearly means rifles.

I dunno, I'd assume @The_Abyss was including semi auto handguns too - and I'd agree with him tbh... with very few exceptions people don't generally need semi auto anything (including handguns). Exceptions are provided for .22 rifles and pistols in this case AFAIK.

(Nor do they need double action revolvers for that matter)

Soldato
Ban guns, auto's, semi's, shotties, pellet guns it doesn't matter. Ban knives, hunting knives, bowies, lock knives, screwdrivers etc.

If bad people want to maim, kill and worse all they need is chapati flour and hair bleach as happened on 7/7/2005. 52 people died from 18 different nationalities that day :mad:

Are you saying every weapon should be allowed?

Back
Top Bottom