Garage consumer unit

Associate
Good afternoon all,

I’m looking at installing a consumer unit in my garage as the current old fused unit only powers the lights and a double socket. I’m hoping to add about 4 more double sockets and wire up some external lights. Will a garage consumer unit replace this existing unit?

BGk3ObA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Find a friendly sparky, get them to take a look.
If you are handy you can run your own radial for the lights and a ring for sockets. Leave long tails to make sparks life easy, they will install CU, test your handywork, hook it up and sign it off. If your the slightest bit unsure let them do all the work.
Get more than a garage consumer unit, extra circuits always find a use (eg outside socket, outside lights, solar PV etc). Consumer unit with extra ways doesnt cost much more than a garage (two circuit) version.

This is all speaking from experience.. wish I had gone for a 4/5 way consumer unit rather than the normal garage 2 way that I have.

Soldato
No plans at the moment

Unfortunately it's a requirement for the work you're proposing.

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Regulations-Explained

I'd follow SamCat's hopefully a sensible electrical will let you take some of the donkey work out of the job. Crucially talk to them before you start. They by issuing a certificate they will basically be taking responsibility for the parts of the work you've done. If they're sensible the will want toto sp how the work is done and what materials are used.

Soldato
Because councils wander into peoples garages all the time to check electrics.....

Thats not the point though.
If the electrics cause a fire and your insurer finds out that work wasnt notified they wont pay out. And they will find out, they employ people to find reasons to throw claims out.
If the electrics seriously hurt or kill someone, you would be in very serious trouble.

From memory getting a spark in to replace our main consumer unit and install a garage one (after I did the donkey work in the garage or putting in all the lights, sockets and suitable wiring based on his advice of what to install) was only a few hundred quid. This included suitable SWA for the garage run (about 10 metres), two consumer units, henley block and most of a day of his time testing, rewiring, installing and adding some bonding (to water incomer, gas etc).

He was MORE than happy for me to do the donkey work, its boring grind/labour for them. DO take advice on what they want, I had to use metal boxes for sockets/switches and suitable impact protection (trunking), and he advised on cable gauge to use.

For the cost, just do it properly.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yeah and sparks always do that..... For something so simple i would do it myself people are not all idiots. The insurance companies lobbied the goverment for these regs to save them money, not lives. Hell i remember my dad rewiring the house and it never burnt down and he was just a carpet fitter.

Its a easy job, hell regs will be in soon that you need a qualified painter paint around a socket next :)

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Never have had to provide certs for electrics for 2 house moves in the past 8 years or asked for them. The only cert was gas registered and thats also a bit of a joke.

Associate
OP
I think I’ll get a sparky to come round to show what needs doing. I can do the ring myself for the sockets and wire up the external lights. Then all he needs to do is check and wire in the new consumer unit.

Soldato
I think I’ll get a sparky to come round to show what needs doing. I can do the ring myself for the sockets and wire up the external lights. Then all he needs to do is check and wire in the new consumer unit.

Get him to advise on cable sizes and what mechanical protection for the cabling he would expect to see etc.
Get at least a 4 way CU, so garage lights, garage sockets, outside lights and a spare (solar in the future? Electric car? etc)

Back
Top Bottom