How much space do you need above an amp?

Soldato
I am contemplating building a raised shelf for my TV and putting my Marantz pm6005 amp underneath it. How much space is needed above the amp to allow for heat to escape? The front and sides will be clear, so i'd have thought the heat would just find its way out as long as there is a gap above.

I want to have the TV as low as possible, so would 4cm of room be enough do you think?

Thanks

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am contemplating building a raised shelf for my TV and putting my Marantz pm6005 amp underneath it. How much space is needed above the amp to allow for heat to escape? The front and sides will be clear, so i'd have thought the heat would just find its way out as long as there is a gap above.

I want to have the TV as low as possible, so would 4cm of room be enough do you think?

Thanks

It should tell you what the manufacturer recommends in the manual. If you don't have a copy you can find one online. It will be different for every AVR. Why not buy a USB or cheap plug in fan and stick it somewhere near it blowing over it to be safe?

Soldato
OP
I would have thought it would say in the manual, but couldn't find any mention of it. Googled it and answers range from 1cm to never have anything above the amp. Ahh well, guess i'll just have to try it and find out. Thanks.

Associate
Looks like a well ventilated chassis and the power usage is stated at 155w, so i would have thought having a few CM all around it would be perfectly fine. I've had poorer quality amps in much tighter spaces without drama.

Caporegime
Looks like a well ventilated chassis and the power usage is stated at 155w, so i would have thought having a few CM all around it would be perfectly fine. I've had poorer quality amps in much tighter spaces without drama.

They don't have any active cooling though. So even a 50W electricial component can overheat in a tight area.

At the risk of a £200+ AVR dying prematurely from heat I'd rather just buy a small fan for £5 off amazon.

Soldato
I have mine in a much smaller space (see my post yesterday in the picture thread). From what i've felt it's never been anything more than barely warm. AVR's can run hotter but a stereo amp generally run quite cool.

Don't forget that whilst it might be rated at 150w, in use at normal volumes it's going to be a fraction of that.

Soldato
You could make it a slatted shelf too, some of my gear, through accident rather than design, sits on that.

... for electronics with ventilation slots, also consider opening them annually to remove dust, especially on heat sinks, and electrolytics
(+10C on capacitor environment halves their lives)

Associate
They don't have any active cooling though. So even a 50W electricial component can overheat in a tight area.

At the risk of a £200+ AVR dying prematurely from heat I'd rather just buy a small fan for £5 off amazon.
Sure, which is why I said a few CM all around it. Not saying a fan is a bad idea, just saying I would be extremely surprised if the device had any problems dissipating 150w of heat as long as the vents aren't blocked.

I'm making the presumption that the front and back of the shelf will be open, of course.

Soldato
I have a couple AC Infinity Multifan S2s on top of my Marantz AVR. Plug them into the usb port and they spin-up when the amp powers on. Easy. Honestly if you spend £hundreds on an amp what's another £50 or so to look after it properly. Also as stated above you should be able to find the minimum space required in the manual.

Associate

Thanks

I use own a 6005 a while back. With only 40w it doesn't run very hot. In fact when being pushed hard it is warm and that's about it, and nothing I would consider to be alarmed about.

Soldato
OP
tmc35VK.jpg.png

Cheers for the replies, the general consensus seemed to be that it'll be fine, so went ahead with it. I think there is room enough for any future upgrades and if not the legs are just screwed to the top, so it'll be easy enough to add some taller ones later.

Soldato
OP
Looks good. Did you build it yourself?
Thanks, yeah, it's only a bit of solid oak worktop with two small pieces screwed into it and the edges rounded over with a router. Finished with Osmo acasia tinted worktop oil (awesome stuff). I bought a 3m length of rustic oak worktop from ebay as it was only £15 going from 2m to 3m, so had half left over after using the other half to extend my desk. Ripped it down the middle with my table saw to make this TV shelf and not sure what to do with the other half, I was thinking of maybe making a floating shelf with it.

Associate
Thanks, yeah, it's only a bit of solid oak worktop with two small pieces screwed into it and the edges rounded over with a router. Finished with Osmo acasia tinted worktop oil (awesome stuff). I bought a 3m length of rustic oak worktop from ebay as it was only £15 going from 2m to 3m, so had half left over after using the other half to extend my desk. Ripped it down the middle with my table saw to make this TV shelf and not sure what to do with the other half, I was thinking of maybe making a floating shelf with it.

Excellent. It looks just like the Hi-fi Racks stuff, which I suppose is made in a similar way. I've been tempted to make myself a rack using a length of worktop at some point in time.

Soldato
OP
Excellent. It looks just like the Hi-fi Racks stuff, which I suppose is made in a similar way. I've been tempted to make myself a rack using a length of worktop at some point in time.
I just priced up for a 140cm x 40cm x 18cm oak rack on that site and it came to £422. Wow, they know how to charge. The 3m x 620mm oak worktop only cost me £140 inc 2 man next day delivery. Although that was for "rustic" oak, which has a fair few knots etc, but I prefer that look. Even a "prime" oak worktop would only be around £200.

Its well worth having a go yourself as its really easy to do assuming you have/can borrow a circular saw and router.

Back
Top Bottom