What's this like for car servicing charge?

Permabanned
£11 for an air filter than is changed every year.
Or a million mile warranty for a K&N panel air filter that is washable and useable for the life of the car.
It's not a performance car. It's cost effective.
My 682bhp NISSAN GTR is my play thing :)

https://youtu.be/0Er_Z1Xh5t4
I too was only the p :). I just had thoughts of a Corsa owner with a load exhaust and a sun strip lol.

I understand your reasoning (and I guess you’ll need to save those extra few pounds to service the other beast) but I was always led to believe that k&n’s are not all that and a paper oem filter does a better job at filtering and protecting the engine. Don’t forget that the k&n will need cleaning and oiling quite regularly and that oil can potentially cause issues with the maf and dirt ingress causing valve pitting.

Just a quick google search pulls up many unfavourable comments from piston heads etc.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1067063

You may also want to have a look at this.

https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Soldato
lol their tea is pretty decent from my experience.

If I'm honest, their servicing has been one of my best experiences of a dealership ever before.

Opened my eyes to what you can buy for 10k too, the i20's a great little run abouts! Enough oomf for a city car and really full of toys

If you want to continue servicing with them you can now buy a plan, takes the pricing from silly dealer pricing to reasonable and you can continue the full dealer servicing history.

Not tied to a particular dealer either, you can take it to any hyundai approved garage/dealer and the plan covers it.

Soldato
Plus lets through more particles and has a chance to ruin your maf.

What a great deal!

I used to import apexi cones for my cars...

I don't think it actually lets more dirt through. The oil catches it not the fabric like on dry filters and parties small enough to be a problem don't often occur in nature.

Permabanned
I don't think it actually lets more dirt through. The oil catches it not the fabric like on dry filters and parties small enough to be a problem don't often occur in nature.

It does indeed let more dirt through just look at the link I provided which has all the scientific data.

SCOPE:
This report presents the results of an ISO 5011 test of several air filters designed for the GM Duramax Diesel. The test was independently performed under controlled conditions using a $285,000 machine at Testand Corp of Rhode Island (manufacturer of the machine).

Filtering Efficiency:
Filtering efficiency is a measure of the filter’s overall ability to capture dirt.

kn-v-oem-1.jpg

Dirt Passed Versus Total Test Time:

This graph shows each the duration of each filter’s test versus dirt passed (Accumulative Gain).
kn-v-oem-5.jpg

(Note: The Purolator was reported to have a seal malfunction during the test and passed more dirt than it would have with a good seal.)

In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction.

In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms.

Compared to the AC, the K&N “plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like a good test tbh.

I have used K&N filters since my Ecort RS Turbo back in 1991.
Never had any real filter issues with them, so will continue to use.

I'll have to try and get the hyundai down the strip, see if I can make a 19 second pass :)

Soldato
I got my 520d serviced at a well reviewed indie recently, £210 for a major service which was a fair bit cheaper than BMW wanted.

It's hard to find a decent garage these days in my opinion.

Caporegime
I got my 520d serviced at a well reviewed indie recently, £210 for a major service which was a fair bit cheaper than BMW wanted.

It's hard to find a decent garage these days in my opinion.

BMW will charge you that much nearly just for the microfilter!

Having said that on my last service they put an OEM cabin filter in and it's junk. Car stinks in traffic which it never did before. So I'm paying the extra this time.

Back
Top Bottom