Do you keep your motherboard UEFI / BIOS up to date?

Soldato
I was just wondering what the general opinion is on the subject? I've just updated the UEFI / BIOS to the latest version, but it was a bit of a faff because I had to put my overclock in again and check all of the settings to make sure they were set to how I want them. The only reason I updated was that the patch notes said that it would improve performance and stability. So do you always updated the BIOS / UEFI or do you leave it to the version that came pre-installed on the motherboard?

Man of Honour
I would on a new build as there's nothing really to loose but once everything is up and running, probably not unless there is reason to. Best thing is to read the release notes to see if there is anything of that adds value to the change. That said, BIOS or UEFI upgrading is much easier nowadays.

Associate
Like the previous, I would only update to either fix a serious issue or for compatibility with a new part, e.g. CPU. Otherwise, I cant be bothered redoing the OC I usually put on my system, as you have just described. BIOS updates rarely have any noticeable impact on performance, the memory issues with the first batch of X370 motherboards being a case in point, was fixed within weeks and not heard of since...

Soldato
After first building a new computer I update the BIOS to latest. After this however if the computer is stable I probably won't upgrade.

Only exception to above is I tend to cascade computers down, so in a few years my main computer might end up being being re-used in a HTPC somewhere else in my house, when this happens I might upgrade BIOS to last version.

Soldato
Nope, if things are stable then I leave it for most the part after a initial update to latest when I get the board. More so when I get stable Overclock dialled in. If a bios comes out with a critical fix or something, then I may upgrade or if I am doing a largely new build but resuming the motherboard then may take opportunity to update. In instances I have sold a board, I will also update it to the latest available and check its working.

Last edited:
Soldato
I update only if needed to fix bugs/compatiblity. If it aint broke, I don't bother.

I would have thought people would update more recently given the Spectre and Meltdown bugs on Intel CPUs that can only be fixed by updating the UEFI / BIOS.

MS rolled out the Microcode fixes as part of windows update and loads on boot if you have old microcode in bios.

Permabanned
I was just wondering what the general opinion is on the subject? I've just updated the UEFI / BIOS to the latest version, but it was a bit of a faff because I had to put my overclock in again and check all of the settings to make sure they were set to how I want them. The only reason I updated was that the patch notes said that it would improve performance and stability. So do you always updated the BIOS / UEFI or do you leave it to the version that came pre-installed on the motherboard?

Updating the BIOS to the latest version can lead only to one thing - better system behaviour.
At least, this is what I have observed so far.

Associate
I don't update unless it fix's a specific problem with the board, mostly updates say improved stability or memory compatibility and sometimes those updates slow the performance down. I would say if your stable and everything works then leave well alone. don't update.

Soldato
Generally only on new builds or a good few years have past and there have been several updates. If it's all working well and stable then I'm inclined to leave it as is.

Soldato
Only on new builds where the manufacturer is making good improvements in BIOS updates for overclocking over the initial couple of months. But once I'm happy with an overclock, I'll backup the settings and leave the BIOS forever and never update it again.

Associate
I won't update unless I have a reason to.

Normally flash the latest bios when the system is new and leave it after that.

Worth updating more often if your an early adopter, but that's not me these days.

Back
Top Bottom