• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can anyone help me with strange Division 2 fps drops on Vega 56 please?

Associate
Hi all

Having a strange issue on Divison 2 with my current setup:

I7 2600k at 4.5ghz
Vega 56 at 1600/950mhz
Windows 7 64
16gb ddr3 1600mhz
1440p 70hz monitor
Amd driver 19.1.1

Basically what happens is I'll start off ok at 70fps then I'll start free roaming and with nothing happening in game my fps will drop to 25. It keeps going up and down but I've noticed fps is at its worst when a mission is large open space or free roam.

I'm running d2 on ultra and I've tried dropping resolution scale, AA and tried running with vsync off and on. I have kept freesync on throughout.

I did try the latest 19.3.2 amd "division 2 ready" drivers but my game won't even start with this driver it just crashes on load screen every time.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Can you monitor and check your cpu utilisation during these fps drops?

Well I run msi afterburner at the same time and both cpu and gpu utilisation is good both hitting high amounts.

I will do a proper test tomorrow though and record what is happening. I don't think the dreaded 100% cpu bug is there though.

Soldato
Doesn't seem likely seems to be a software issue. Why would the game run intensive scenes well then when in stood on the spot in free roam fps drops

Hmm you seem to know the answer, I guess there's no need for this thread then!

Associate
Big open spaces are easy on the gpu, less so on the cpu depending on tthe game engine. Lots of calcs being run to render view distance ect. My first guess would be a cpu utilisation issue, but also try a clean driver install via DDU also.

I see you play at 1440p, should be that cpu limited at that res but it can happen.

Soldato
I would first try and get the game ready driver to work! This might be the issue why your performance isn't doing well. Have you tried doing a clean install of the drivers? You can either use DDU or when installing the AMD driver click custom install and then click clean install. Driver will be removed and a system reboot will happen, upon next start up the driver will install.

Soldato
As others have said I would update the drivers.

Version 19.3.2 of the AMD drivers where released for support of the division 2.

Edit, didn't see the part where you had already tried this.

What do you get if you run the in game benchmark? I'll post mine below once I get the links.

I am currently running a I7 950 at stock with no pc which is 3.06ghz, 12gb of ram and a sapphire Nitro 390 8gb

Last edited:
Soldato
Here are my benchmark results.

With dx11 enabled

9IAqDTf.png

Same system with dx12 enabled

t7m0OQ1.png

May give you something to compare against

Soldato
I've noticed the same behaviour with mine at the same resolution and running the game from an SSD. It bounces down to 25 FPS, the game kinda hangs and then goes back up to 60 fps & is then fine.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Definitely CPU. Time for an upgrade?

Recommended specs for 1080P 60Hz are an i7-4790.

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
CPU upgrade needed. It uses 50-70% of a 12 thread r5 2600.

Indeed. His CPU barely surpasses the minimum spec for 1080P 30Hz.

That CPU has lasted well but it’s time to replace it if the OP wants to run this game at reliable frame rates.

Associate
What mv do you have set up for P7 and the HBM?
If that's too high it could be throttling.
High vrm temps would do the same.
With those big drops though it does sound like some strange Chill and drivers thing - what fps do you have chill set at?
You could raise that or disable it.

Back
Top Bottom