HP Reverb

Soldato
Will be great for sim-gaming. Two camera tracking isn't really good enough for controller tracking for games though. Ironically this looks more like an Oculus headset than the Rift-S, and apart from the tracking is closer to what we wanted from a new Rift headset.

Associate
OP
yes that's what I want for simracing only,and if the price is right it could do really well.

regards the screens I don't know,i guess we will have to wait until late april for when it comes out...hopefully.

Soldato
If Valve doesn't save the day, this is the one that interests me based on the numbers and the form factor. Unless Valve, Oculus, or another of the major players steps up, I don't see the resolution being massively increased upon in the medium term. I know Pimax exists, but I've zero confidence in them as a credible company to source high value purchases.

The appeal of this thing is purely because of the res, and that they've ditched the awful headband and gone with a more comfortable harness.

Soldato
I'm guessing it'll probably be pretty good for watching 3D VR movies as well since it's running at 4k resolution.

However, I have a Lenovo WMR headset and I've found it's a bit of a headache to setup in a lot of games most of which are clearly made for either Vive or Rift. I don't think I'd buy another current generation WMR headset regardless of the specifications to be honest!

I'm surprised more headset manufacturers haven't released 4k models by now given its the current standard for TVs and there's clearly a need for higher resolution VR visuals.

Soldato
I've no overall complaints about the Lenovo headset. Just generally the feeling that from the developers viewpoint WMR headsets are always an afterthought after Vive/Rift when comes to supporting them. You can always get stuff working but you often need to tweak the config and redefine controls to emulate Rift/Vive. It shouldn't be this much hassle. I think I've been spoilt by the simplicity of the Playstation headset I had previously though.

It'll be interesting to see how the increased resolution hopefully improves the visuals and with any luck reduces screen door effect.

Soldato
The HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset will be available to consumers by late April for $599 (about £450, AU$840). There will also be a commercial version available for a slightly higher $649 (about £490, AU$910) price. Both versions of the HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset come with motion controllers included.
The major differences between the consumer and commercial versions are that the latter comes with an additional short cable for connecting to a backpack PC, a leatherette face mask that you can just wipe to clean, and a more robust one-year warranty
https://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/hp-reverb-virtual-reality-headset

"a leatherette face mask that you can just wipe to clean" :eek:

Soldato
I have my doubts over a £450/500 price tag though. At that it's a steal for where it sits on the current visual scale, that's readily available for UK retail purchase.

Hopefully it doesn't bounce much higher, but I presume $599 means £599. Over £600 I think Valves 'soon' will make me think twice.

Associate
Looks cracking for sim racing but we also need better gpus to power it.

9.3mp at 90hz is going to take serious power, my 1080ti is at the limit with rift cv1 at 1.5ss.

great for pron tho.

Last edited:

Asa

Asa

Associate
WMR is actually really easy to get working now with pretty much everything bar Oculus games (Revive/Remixed may or may not be in a good state for this headset, I have no idea).

I was interested in the Rift S, but it is a pretty big letdown. Now I have my eyes on the Vive Cosmos and Valve headset, but I reckon there is a good chance that I'll land on the HP Reverb with Valve knuckles as my next VR setup.

Soldato
I'm more hyped for the Oculus Quest at the moment as I love the idea of a standalone wireless headset which doesn't leave me constantly mulling over PC GPU upgrades every 18 months!

Soldato
I love the idea of a standalone wireless headset which doesn't leave me constantly mulling over PC GPU upgrades every 18 months!

Instead, you'll have to replace the whole headset after a few years when the hardware cant cope.

A PC GPU only needs to be upgraded every few years for triple A games like Battlevield V etc. A standalone headset couldn't play tripple A games anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom